So called end of the world.

22 replies to this topic

#1 CreepyMoto

Visitor

• 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 17:27

I have been wondering about the so called 2012 end of the world thing.
Everyone is talking that the world will end but nobody has came up with a conclusion HOW it will happen .
Will the universe just dissapear , will our galaxy blow up or will the sun do something to earth ?
Nostradamus has proven the world end and Mesoamerican Long Count calendar ends on 21st december 2012 .
These so called facts have started a question in me for a while now , is it really going to happen ? what will i do in my last minutes of life , where will i be that time and so on.

What are your thoughts about this ?

PS. I didn't find this topic so i made it .

Posted Image

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 18:08

Any end times predictions are completely rubbish and if you believe them you need an education.

/thread

Posted Image

#3 CreepyMoto

Visitor

• 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 18:14

Right so , researches who are 10 times smarter for example , have to be educated because they found plain facts about it ?
Posted Image

#4 Erik

Feels green.

• Project Leader
  • 978 posts
  • Projects: ZH: Frontlines

Posted 23 May 2011 - 18:23

It takes some seriously hardcore equations to predict the behaviour of a single hydogen atom, just saying.

Do you really think anyone can predict what will happen in a thousand years?

Simple solution: These people just make things up...

(/tread)^2

#5 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 19:29

Eeeh, kinda off-topic, but would you mind not doing the centered text thing? it's pretty hard reading.

Anyway (my favorite word, it seems). No, I don't believe the world will end that year, I'm a christian, and The Bible is pretty clear on that:

Matthew 24:36

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

It ends when it'll end. Humanity is much like a single human, death can come in an instant or slowly over a long, long time. We'll just have to wait and see.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#6 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 19:50

Wait a second, Nostradamus proved the end of the world? oO

View PostErik, on 23 May 2011, 18:23, said:

It takes some seriously hardcore equations to predict the behaviour of a single hydogen atom, just saying.

Do you really think anyone can predict what will happen in a thousand years?
The behavior of a single atom is pretty irrelevant for large-scale predictions. In bigger systems (like, everything of a mol upwards) the sheer size of a system makes fluctuations on a nuclear scale statistically irrelevant (unless there is a condensed/coherent state). We are pretty good at predicting what happens in our solar system and beyond.

Edited by Golan, 23 May 2011 - 19:56.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#7 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 19:57

View PostGolan, on 23 May 2011, 21:50, said:

Wait a second, Nostradamus proved the end of the world? oO

Well, the guy used to have a Wikipedia article devoted to his penis (no, seriously), and it took an infamously large amount of death to actually kill him. A man that hardcore could easily predict the end of the world :)

But seriously, care to elaborate on this CreepyMoto?

Edited by SquigPie, 23 May 2011 - 19:58.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 20:07

Aren't you thinking of Rasputin?

Posted Image

#9 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 20:13

Uuuuuh, no! SHHHH!

Yeah, must've gotten the two confused, is very tired. Couldn't fall asleep last night.

Anyway, I'll go to sleep now so I won't post more stupid things.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#10 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 23 May 2011 - 20:33

I think the end of the world is going to be triggered by mankind itself, when I see all the morons on this planet, and especially those who are sitting on tons of nuclear weapons, I think that god should reschedule the Armageddon to a closer date cause there'll soon be nothing left for him to destroy.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#11 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 20:37

View PostAlias, on 23 May 2011, 12:08, said:

Any end times predictions are completely rubbish and if you believe them you need an education.

/thread

Basically this.

I'd also like to add in that I really believe humanity will likely stay around until the eventual heat death of the universe in one way or another. We're an incredibly hardy race, and pessimistic musings about us wiping each other out in some massive war is not the way to go about thinking if you don't want to see it happen.

Edited by Hobbesy, 23 May 2011 - 20:38.

#12 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:03

what is this blasphemy.

everyone knows the world will end with the glorious RAGNAROK.

but seriously:

/thread

sums it up nicely.

Edited by Camille, 23 May 2011 - 21:03.

it's time to wake up

#13 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:30

I love the number of people who are trying to /thread by stating that those who think that the end of days will/may/might happen don't have an education :)

Surely an educated person would realise that it is impossible to predict the future with enough certainty to categorically rule out the possibility of an end of day scenario, no matter how unlikely, no matter theirs beliefs....

Whilst I don't believe that it will happen, I certainly can't say that it won't.

Edited by Wizard, 23 May 2011 - 21:31.

#14 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:47

View PostWizard, on 23 May 2011, 21:30, said:

Surely an educated person would realise that it is impossible to predict the future with enough certainty to categorically rule out the possibility of an end of day scenario, no matter how unlikely, no matter theirs beliefs....
That isn't the point. The world will end, and the scenarios possible allow it to happen anytime. It's specific "world ends at day X by means of Y" predictions that are meaningless, though.

Of course, those predictions are all rubbish anyways. Every educated person knows we're gonna die next Thursday when the carnivorous killer rubber ducks take over.

Edited by Golan, 23 May 2011 - 21:56.

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#15 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:52

End of the world or end of the species or end of the climate? Lots of different ones mentioned here.

Tbh a good way to know about the end of the world would be to understand the two following phenomena.

The universal wave-function
The boundary conditions of the universe

All other predictions are guesses designed to exert power/control over others..

Moving on.

End of the species, would happen when the number of humans is too low to create a genetically diverse population as we'd eventually inbreed ourselves to death. This population I think is close to 100,000 but I could be off. Furthermore its no use having 100,000 people completly scattered, we'd need to have them in a reasoonable proximity or we'd create smaller gene pools.

End of the climate, its an ever changing system but does have a current stability, I don't think anyone 'knows' how stable or unstable but we can say with a reasononable certainty that it is entirely possible to fuck this one up, nuclear winter, properly big eruption, comet strike to name a few methods.

End of the world, why is 10^26 kg of matter going to stop spinning because of the surface critters? There's a bet I wouldn't take.

#16 CreepyMoto

Visitor

• 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 13:48

View PostDauth, on 24 May 2011, 10:52, said:

End of the world or end of the species or end of the climate? Lots of different ones mentioned here.

Tbh a good way to know about the end of the world would be to understand the two following phenomena.

The universal wave-function
The boundary conditions of the universe

All other predictions are guesses designed to exert power/control over others..

Moving on.

End of the species, would happen when the number of humans is too low to create a genetically diverse population as we'd eventually inbreed ourselves to death. This population I think is close to 100,000 but I could be off. Furthermore its no use having 100,000 people completly scattered, we'd need to have them in a reasoonable proximity or we'd create smaller gene pools.

End of the climate, its an ever changing system but does have a current stability, I don't think anyone 'knows' how stable or unstable but we can say with a reasononable certainty that it is entirely possible to fuck this one up, nuclear winter, properly big eruption, comet strike to name a few methods.

End of the world, why is 10^26 kg of matter going to stop spinning because of the surface critters? There's a bet I wouldn't take.

Theres few new facts i havent thought about , End of the species for example . That might happen if shitton of nukes would go off. Putin would go like "FOR MOTHER RUSSIA" , obama would go like "FOR DEMOCRATS" , Australia down there would be like "Wtf,dude? ^.^ " .

Then again the end of climate would be a possibility but not a huge one . Lets take this into consideration here that species have been able to live on the planet quite long thru different stages , when the meteor hit earth and all the dinosaurs died , the climate didn't end . The explosion was big enough to basically fuck up the whole planets system but it didn't .

Also , the last "END OF THE WORLD " claim for 21st may was Jesus come back . And it was claimed by a 89 year old bible reader . 89 YEAR OLD , age has gone through his brains probably .
Posted Image

#17 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 16:21

Actually what alot of people (you included) seem to mistake is that the apocalypse and the Rapture are two very different things. The Rapture is when Jesus apparently comes back, to pick up the true believers and leave the rest to their business. The apocalypse is when fire starts raining and stuff.

The Rapture was just something a theologist made up in the 20's because he thought the Bible's treatment of us (that is, christians) wasn't nice enough. If Revelations are to be read as doomsday prophecies and not as satire on the Roman Empire, things are gonna suck for us christians in the time before the apocalypse.

Edited by SquigPie, 24 May 2011 - 16:47.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#18 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:33

View PostSquigPie, on 24 May 2011, 17:21, said:

Actually what alot of people (you included) seem to mistake is that the apocalypse and the Rapture are two very different things. The Rapture is when Jesus apparently comes back, to pick up the true believers and leave the rest to their business. The apocalypse is when fire starts raining and stuff.

The Rapture was just something a theologist made up in the 20's because he thought the Bible's treatment of us (that is, christians) wasn't nice enough. If Revelations are to be read as doomsday prophecies and not as satire on the Roman Empire, things are gonna suck for us christians in the time before the apocalypse.

Squig's quite right here, the Rapture and the Apocalypse are two different things according to Camping. Well, were two different things.

As he got it wrong, he's suddenly decided that God's a merciful God, and thus would not create an apocalyptic wasteland, rather the Rapture and Apocalypse will both happen on the 21st October (ofc God isn't so merciful as to ascend us all to heaven). Tbh, I find it quite hilarious this man got so much airtime. I doubt very much God's put hints in a book if he exists, and if he doesn't, then well, this is all a bunch of baloney anyways. All Camping's done is turn the Bible into a massive treasure hunt, and proclaimed death through anihilationism. Whilst I have no trouble with people of faith, when they start doing this; deluding followers, and stripping them of their worldly assets (his comeback to that was that people made it through the recession, they can make it through this), I genuinely have no time for them. Tbh what I'd find most entertaining regards all of this is if he dies before he so-called Rapture.
For there can be no death without life.

#19 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:39

View PostAJ, on 25 May 2011, 4:33, said:

View PostSquigPie, on 24 May 2011, 17:21, said:

Squig's quite right here, the Rapture and the Apocalypse are two different things according to Camping. Well, were two different things.

As he got it wrong, he's suddenly decided that God's a merciful God, and thus would not create an apocalyptic wasteland, rather the Rapture and Apocalypse will both happen on the 21st October (ofc God isn't so merciful as to ascend us all to heaven). Tbh, I find it quite hilarious this man got so much airtime. I doubt very much God's put hints in a book if he exists, and if he doesn't, then well, this is all a bunch of baloney anyways. All Camping's done is turn the Bible into a massive treasure hunt, and proclaimed death through anihilationism. Whilst I have no trouble with people of faith, when they start doing this; deluding followers, and stripping them of their worldly assets (his comeback to that was that people made it through the recession, they can make it through this), I genuinely have no time for them. Tbh what I'd find most entertaining regards all of this is if he dies before he so-called Rapture.

Personally I find it hilarious that those followers were "Perplexed, nothing happened" - You have to wonder, just how easy is it to make idiots follow you. And to those who spent all their worldly posessions, use fucking common sense next time, morons. Whats worse is despite being wrong I bet people will follow him again? Why? God knows... or maybe in this case, he doesn't!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:49

Love is blind. If you love the religious deity of your choice, you are blind to the inconsistencies. Sad, but true.
For there can be no death without life.

#21 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:53

View PostAJ, on 25 May 2011, 4:49, said:

Love is blind. If you love the religious deity of your choice, you are blind to the inconsistencies. Sad, but true.

I wouldn't call it Love, more like brainwashing.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:27

View PostIon Cannon!, on 25 May 2011, 5:53, said:

View PostAJ, on 25 May 2011, 4:49, said:

I wouldn't call it Love, more like brainwashing.

More like irrationality, humans are irrational, we choose religion against common sense. Because fuck common sense!

I find that beautiful.

Religion by "brainwashing" as you put it is abominable, as it goes against the entire point of christianity. One should choose to follow God, not be forced to walk after him in chains.

Anyway, God is an odd fella, don't understand him, tried to, think I do, probably don't. Wether the apocalypse comes through fire or heavenly light, I'll stand by him and laugh into the face of the abyss.

I'll probably die before that day though.

Edited by SquigPie, 25 May 2011 - 08:43.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#23 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 15:27

View PostSquigPie, on 25 May 2011, 10:27, said:

Religion by "brainwashing" as you put it is abominable, as it goes against the entire point of christianity.
You can say that here and now, in an age of relative religious freedom. Before the last fifty years or so, the last few thousand years basically all religions, including - perhaps especially - Christianity, were nothing but abominable and bent on brainwashing. And in some regions of the world this still holds true, hence why some people still get stoned or crucified. Or think up dates for the apocalypse every few years.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users