Latest Dr Who

24 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 28 May 2011 - 22:44

Well I don't know how many of you watch it, but I presume some do and I have to say, I think this is the best series to date. Theres been no filler, the storylines have been original and excellent and It's just been a real treat. The ending of todays episode, bloody hell.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 28 May 2011 - 22:44.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 22:50

I had been wondering if anyone on here was still watching it, and I must say I agree with everything you've said.

I've loved every episode so far (I thought the second silent episode was creepy, and clever, as hell) and am really excited about the overall plot.
You almost did, didn't you?

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 22:58

The format for the series is different this time though, theres one more episode, (Bet its a cliffhanger!) and then a break of 2 months, followed by 6 episodes after the break. Apparently theres a mid season finale, and I guess also an end of series finale? It might explain how there seems to be so much background and overarching stuff going on.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 28 May 2011 - 22:58.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 00:01

This has been so much better than the last series... Matt Smith was just awful in it, but he seems to have finally found his stride.

Edited by Bob, 29 May 2011 - 10:03.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 Brad

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 20:59

There's a trailer and the episode prequel up on the BBC website, for the mid series finale.

Edited by Brad, 29 May 2011 - 21:00.

#6 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 21:29

Looks suitably epic and at the same time you have very little idea what the hell is going on, trademark moffat.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 21:32

We're a week behind you folks, so we're still waiting for the last half of this two-parter, but I have been enjoying pretty much most of this series. Hasn't been a token 'shitty' episode like most of the previous seasons have had.

Looking forward to the conclusion of this series, lots of lovely twists.

Posted Image

#8 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:17

OK, caught up. Epic finishing to the two parter. Must admit, had been thinking that might be the case once I was about halfway through the first of the two.

Warning: Spoilers.

Spoiler

Edited by AJ, 30 May 2011 - 06:23.

For there can be no death without life.

#9 Brad

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 13:50

AJ, on 30 May 2011, 7:17, said:

OK, caught up. Epic finishing to the two parter. Must admit, had been thinking that might be the case once I was about halfway through the first of the two.

Warning: Spoilers.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 19:56

So yeah.. that was rather good really. And apparently I somewhat unwittingly got one theory right at least. Although tbh I had that one down pretty much from the moment
Spoiler

But yeah, quite an epic episode. Very very very annoyed I have to wait until September for the next fix. Also, Matt Smith keep getting better and better.

#11 Brad

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 18:50

It was a fantastic episode. I seriously hate the fact I have to wait a few months for the next one.

CLIFFHANGERS.

#12 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 20:54

I found this doing the rounds on Tumblr at the moment:
Posted Image
Pretty much sums it up, methinks :beer:

#13 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 23:56

Spoiler
excellent episode though and as already stated - GODAMN YOU MOFFAT!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:33

SEPTEMBER!

WHAT!

But yeah, fantastic series so far and I agree on the Ganger theory posted earlier.

Also, what's everyone's opinion of Moffat deciding to sideline the Daleks indefinitely? I'm personally for it since it was almost getting comical how they'd find some way to appear out of nowhere for EVERY season finale...

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#15 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:11

So it's September and we're back with an episode that resolves and subsequently sidelines EVERYTHING that's happened this season so far.

No, really. I'm dead serious.

#16 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:15

If you're talking about the one from last week, then yeah, it was pretty terrible.

Thankfully, the one that aired yesterday was pretty decent. Probably one of my favourites, especially of the episodes with Matt Smith as the doctor.

Edited by Bob, 04 September 2011 - 10:16.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#17 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:23

We're a week behind you, Bob.

Posted Image

#18 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 20:13

RaiDK, on 22 June 2011 - 01:33, said:

SEPTEMBER!

WHAT!

But yeah, fantastic series so far and I agree on the Ganger theory posted earlier.

Also, what's everyone's opinion of Moffat deciding to sideline the Daleks indefinitely? I'm personally for it since it was almost getting comical how they'd find some way to appear out of nowhere for EVERY season finale...

Late reply is late, but I entirely agree with this idea too. You can re-use things to much, and the Daleks are falling into that category. Just think of all of the other exceptional foes that have been created this time around, and you start to get the impression that Moffat's got plenty of cards up his sleeve.

RaiDK, on 04 September 2011 - 10:11, said:

So it's September and we're back with an episode that resolves and subsequently sidelines EVERYTHING that's happened this season so far.

No, really. I'm dead serious.

And yeah. Serious wtf moment. I'll admit, the episode in itself wasn't terrible, but as part of the series, it just ruined it all. Of course, I think the other issue in this, though, is that they can't rescue the kid so early on, because she's got so much of a role to play at the beginning and the end of the series (girl in astronaut suit anyone?). Therefore, in order to prolong the series, Moffat has had to write it off. If it gets brought back well enough I'll forgive him. If not... well...

Posted Image

#19 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:54

Doctor Who is a series I love 90% of the time and makes me absolutely enraged the other 10%, and I think I've worked out why. Doctor Who, at least recently, simply CANNOT do coherent overarching storylines.

The weird-thing-of-the-week episodes? Fantastic. The takes-5-or-6-episodes-to-get-through stuff? Absolutely hopeless. I mean, you DO NOT spend 5 episodes building something up just to brush it off in one.

"Let's Kill Hitler"? More like "Let's tie up plots while we just happen to be near Hitler".

#20 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:06

Pretty funny how once you get past the first 8 minutes or so you never sawHitler again.

Posted Image

#21 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 17:38

The long plot arcs were the strength of the writer Russle T Davies however I think for an out and out episode of proper Dr Who I prefer Moffat.

#22 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:40

Dauth, on 06 September 2011 - 17:38, said:

The long plot arcs were the strength of the writer Russle T Davies however I think for an out and out episode of proper Dr Who I prefer Moffat.

I think there's a point to that tbh. Although RTD has ruined Torchwood this time, he was always great for overarching plots in Doctor Who. In turn, this most recent episode that's aired (The Girl Who Waited) I would define as truly exceptional (and probably one of the most quoteable episodes ever). Whilst it was a shame to see the River Song story sidelined (again), this as an individual episode was... well, I'd say it was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

#23 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:10

Russel T Davies strength was writing characters, the thing is he let that dominate everything, I do agree some of the overarching story elements were well done, but I think the most poignant was actually the BAD WOLF one, or at least thats the one I remember best. If was very mysterious that it kept popping up everywhere, simple but effective, though also the episode which revealed the master was very good.

Last season the overarching plot was pretty awful and the conclusion was god-fucking-awful. It's almost as if Moffat painted himself into such a corner, that he had to use such a stupid method of solving it. The overarching storyline this series seems to be better and while not all episodes include it, most of them have to decent to good quality in themselves. I really liked how the flesh episodes tied in.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:49

Summary of the final:

MOFFAT!

Posted Image

#25 RaiDK

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:03

Did... did they just take two seasons to explain "The new direction we've taken Doctor Who kind of sucks, so we're going to go back to the smaller scale of things"?

Amazing. Just... amazing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users