20 replies to this topic

#1 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:50

Posted Image
Posted Image
(More images around the net, these are just the ones I picked)

Newly announced, this is what we know yet:
*A crossmix of Blade Runner, The Matrix and Painkiller*
*PC exclusive*
*Team composed of old members of CD Projekt Red (The Witcher), People Can Fly (Painkiller), City Interactive (No idea)*
*Health bar instead of Regen Health*
*Trailer is supposedly made with ingame graphics*

Someone hold me please. I think I'm gonna faint.

With this, Deus Ex 3, Dishonored and Prey 2, it looks like Cyberpunk is making a return in video games.

Edited by SquigPie, 14 July 2011 - 12:51.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#2 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 14 July 2011 - 13:11

Looks wicked and the return of the health bar brings back memories of frantically searching for health packs when my health was low:p.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#3 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 14 July 2011 - 13:19

Looking great, seems cyberpunk is becoming the new "Modern Day" :xD:
I like that the weapons dont just look like a rehash of the SCAR etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 13:24

I'm getting an Unreal Tournament 3 vibe, which isn't a bad thing because I've been recently playing UT3 and its been great fun.

It makes me feel ill that health bars are now a 'feature', I miss the time where they were the standard.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 15:12

View PostTheDR, on 14 Jul 2011, 15:24, said:

I'm getting an Unreal Tournament 3 vibe
Interesting you should say that because that's exactly what I'm getting. Not much to go on yet but still :xD: .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 15:33

Looks pretty promising.

Will be nice to have a FPS that relies on agility again, rather than all this cover-based crap around these days.

Posted Image

#7 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 14 July 2011 - 21:33

I'll keep it in mind
Posted Image

#8 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 15:02

View PostTheDR, on 14 Jul 2011, 15:24, said:

It makes me feel ill that health bars are now a 'feature', I miss the time where they were the standard.

Yeah, Regen health is good in games based around cover and such. But then it started being forced down our throats in every single shooter. Even games like Bulletstorm and DNF had it. Even though they were supposed to be about big guns and awesome fights and not about taking potshots at eachother while hiding behind non-existant cover.

Same problem with 2-weapons, started out being used in games where it made sense. Now it's FUCKING EVERYWHERE, even Bioshock: Infinite seems to have it :(

And the only reason why it keep being used is because of lazyass developers (No need to strategically place healtpacks, and controle scheme being much easier tp lay out on consoles) and suits who want every game to be CoD.

Edited by SquigPie, 15 July 2011 - 15:04.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#9 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 19:54

Okay, some new info:

Plot is like this: Far into the future. Mankind invented something called The Sanctuary. Which is a bit of a mixture between The Internet and The Matrix. Which means that alot of people uploaded themselves into cyberspace willingly. In the meantime however, the usual war between humans and the machines have broken out. And humans live inside massive well-protected cities (such as the city Bezoar in which the game takes place). While machines roam everywhere else. You play as a security officer hired by the megacorp in charge of protecting the city.

Gameplay: Weapons system sound very interesting. You only have two weapons in the game. A rifle and an energy gun. you switch between them with Q and E. Each of them can be upgraded with money to use different modes. Like sniper rifle, shotgun, rocket launcher, rail-gun etc. you switch modes with 1-6 (and maybe mousescroll).

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#10 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 18:18

Demo out on Steam now, will give feedback later.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#11 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 20:21

I just tried the demo, it was pretty good. The problem is the setting is more interesting than the gameplay for me, it's a shame it's not an animated movie or something >:(
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#12 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:23

Yeah, the setting was amazing, I really hope they have a good plot to bring it along. Didn't really like the opening cutscene that much (hope it's demo only), too much exposition in very little time.

Apart from being rather short, it was a really good demo. Liked the upgrade system, although it was rather odd that the shotgun upgrade was next to useless compared to the electro-mortar upgrade. Liked how there was alot of secret rooms around.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#13 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 16:01

Out dated gunplay. Too easy, there was no strategy to killing the enemies, walk backwards and shoot, then sprint to the other side and repeat, or just gd ol circle strafe.

Boring, empty environments, if you are going to do blade runner then at least do it well. Though the actual quality of the textures is very good. I like the cars are all references to the fifth element cars, but I would prefer they did something a bit more original.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 16:10

View PostPav:3d, on 08 September 2011 - 16:01, said:

Out dated gunplay. Too easy, there was no strategy to killing the enemies, walk backwards and shoot, then sprint to the other side and repeat, or just gd ol circle strafe.
It's more strategic than chest high walls, to be honest.

I got a good Serious Sam vibe from it (which is good), as long as they follow a similar route with the weapon balancing where each one is stronger against certain targets I don't particularly see it as a problem.

This sort of gameplay has been sorely missing as of late, and I'm thinking about preordering.

Boring, empty environments, if you are going to do blade runner then at least do it well. Though the actual quality of the textures is very good. I like the cars are all references to the fifth element cars, but I would prefer they did something a bit more original.
Again, better than washed out brown everywhere. Whether or not it's good quality, at least they're doing something semi-differently to everyone else.

Posted Image

#15 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 17:48

Because sitting behind a chest-high wall taking potshots and waiting for the jelly to leave your screen is much more tactical. At least this is more fun and less annoying.

Again, it's ten times more original in design than most modern shooters. And I have no idea what you're talking about with the environments being empty.

Edited by SquigPie, 08 September 2011 - 17:49.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#16 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 18:19

View PostSquigPie, on 08 September 2011 - 17:48, said:

Because sitting behind a chest-high wall taking potshots and waiting for the jelly to leave your screen is much more tactical. At least this is more fun and less annoying.

Why jump to the conclusion that Im saying that MW2 is better than it? Every time someone points out flaws in a game that is trying to do something different but failing they assume that person is a rabid CoD fan.
Circle strafing with a gun that never reloads is just out dated, and two guns in an FPS is a crime, regardless of all the upgrades they can receive.

Again, it's ten times more original in design than most modern shooters. And I have no idea what you're talking about with the environments being empty.

Yes its more original than a modern shooter, thats because modern shooters are set in in the real modern world. Also don't confuse not being a modern military shooter with originality.
They are just devoid of anything other than a few cars, the obligatory splashes of neon and loads of explosive barrels/Electrical explosive parts (which serve the same function), a sign of lazy level design.

@Alias: Yes but is it really better than washed out brown? This type of style has been popping up just as much and has been around even longer. Its just done in such a painfully generic fashion in this instance.

Obviously this is just the demo, but I get the feeling that most of the game will be set in a similar environment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 18:32

View PostPav:3d, on 08 September 2011 - 18:19, said:

Why jump to the conclusion that Im saying that MW2 is better than it? Every time someone points out flaws in a game that is trying to do something different but failing they assume that person is a rabid CoD fan.
Circle strafing with a gun that never reloads is just out dated, and two guns in an FPS is a crime, regardless of all the upgrades they can receive.

Why is it that when someone says something about modern shooters in general everyone jumps to the conclusion that you're jumping to the conclusion that they love MW2?
Chest-high walls and jelly screens are in just about every shooter now adays.

And I find the two gun system interesting. Rather fun if you ask me. because in essence you can have 20 different weapons on you at one time each with their own alt fires.

Edited by SquigPie, 08 September 2011 - 18:34.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#18 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 20:22

I'm with Pav3d on this one. The combat is simply uninspiring tbh .... >:(

#19 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:03

Reviews are out.

According to them, the game is the best fun this year, its setting is great, the GAMEPLAY IS VERY TACTICAL (Based around crowd-control and weapon combinations), it's challenging and open compared to modern games.

On the other hand, it's pathetically short (about 4 hours, although some say otherwise), plot is weak, and ending is abrubt (one guy didn't know he was fighting the last boss before the credits rolled).

Still, it's only 30 Euro.

That's what Gamespot, IGN and Gamespy said. At least.

Edited by SquigPie, 14 September 2011 - 08:11.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#20 Pav:3d

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 15:54

4 Hours? I cant wait for the speed runs of that :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 17:00

Well, according to the devs the reviewers played on easy and didn't explore any secrets. Some people report it's 8 hours, and call the reviewers a bunch of speedrunning noobs. Other claim the reviewers are right, and accuse the devs of being filthy liars (the devs seem to be nice guys though, hanging around the steam forums and listening to people's constructive criticism)

Still, can't say anything before having played it myself. Alot of people accused Portal 2 of being 2-4 hours long on first run. Took me 7 hours.

Edited by SquigPie, 14 September 2011 - 17:01.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users