The Terrorist Attack in Norway.

51 replies to this topic

#1 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 15:29

For those of you who don't know. A young right-wing fanatic bombed the center of Oslo yesterday. the bombs themselves killed 7. Afterwards, he went out to Utøya, a small Island where the youth of a leftist party where holding a summercamp. He proceeded to open fire with a submachinegun, killing over 90 people before the police captured him.

I'm a little too disturbed to write anymore details. So if you want to know more, I suggest searching the net for information. Or turning on the news (they better have something on this).

Anyway, this is the thread for mourning this horrible incident.

Edited by SquigPie, 23 July 2011 - 15:29.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#2 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 16:17

An extremely sad event, and something you so wouldn't expect to happen in Norway, of all places. My thoughts go out to all those who lost a friend or family member due to this horrific event.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 16:21

Such a terrible thing to happen, I can't even begin to imagine the pain that one person will have caused. My best wishes and good luck to those who are affected by this tragedy.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 Stinger

• Gold Member
  • 8156 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 16:38

There is an aerial picture of the suspect and a victim in water holding up one of his/her hands, as if they were pleading with him... it's a moment forever frozen in time and burned in my memory. In all its graininess and lack of clarity, it is more vivid than anything that attempts to depict tragedy by recreation of an event. It is so raw.

My thoughts are truly with those whose lives he has destroyed.

Edited by Stinger, 23 July 2011 - 16:38.

#5 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 17:35

One would have expected to hear this sort of thing coming from the Middle East, or thereabouts, but I guess in recent years, terrorist attacks are "branching out" as it were. Wherever it took place though, is a deplorable thing, and my thoughts and utmost sympathetic prayers go out to the surviving victims and to those who lost their life or a loved one.
Posted Image

#6 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 17:52

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 23 Jul 2011, 19:35, said:

One would have expected to hear this sort of thing coming from the Middle East, or thereabouts, but I guess in recent years, terrorist attacks are "branching out" as it were. Wherever it took place though, is a deplorable thing, and my thoughts and utmost sympathetic prayers go out to the surviving victims and to those who lost their life or a loved one.

The odd thing is that it wasn't an islamist or anything, it was a right-wing conservative pureblooded Norwegian. They think his reasons might've been extreme nationalism and xenophobia. Which would explain why the attack targeted a left-winged party.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#7 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 18:08

View PostSquigPie, on 23 Jul 2011, 19:52, said:

The odd thing is that it wasn't an islamist or anything, it was a right-wing conservative pureblooded Norwegian. They think his reasons might've been extreme nationalism and xenophobia. Which would explain why the attack targeted a left-winged party.
Don't forget to leave out the Christian fundamentalist part that the Norwegian police use.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 18:22

View PostChyros, on 23 Jul 2011, 20:08, said:

Don't forget to leave out the Christian fundamentalist part that the Norwegian police use.

Fuckers like this guy shouldn't even dare call themselves Christian...

Didn't know that was another possible motivation though.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#9 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 18:41

View PostSquigPie, on 23 Jul 2011, 20:22, said:

View PostChyros, on 23 Jul 2011, 20:08, said:

Fuckers like this guy shouldn't even dare call themselves Christian...

Didn't know that was another possible motivation though.
The information is based on his own profilations and the police's observations. He was, according to himself, trying to fight the islamisation of Norway and Europe.

Without trying to offend though, people killing people in the name of religion should not be news at all. Religion is in fact the oldest justification of killing in the history of humanity.

Yes, he's giving a lot of people a bad name. But with only very few exceptions, the more religious people get, the more intolerant, closed-minded and violent they become.

This is not to say that his motivations were entirely religious in nature though. Politics played at least as important a part.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 19:29

View PostChyros, on 23 Jul 2011, 20:41, said:

Without trying to offend though, people killing people in the name of religion should not be news at all. Religion is in fact the oldest justification of killing in the history of humanity.

I'd say we killed for survival, food or simply for fun long before we killed for religion.

Yes, he's giving a lot of people a bad name. But with only very few exceptions, the more religious people get, the more intolerant, closed-minded and violent they become.

Depends on what you mean by "More Religious". I see myself as very religious, yet the nature of my religious opinion prevents me from being intolerant, violent and close-minded.

This is not to say that his motivations were entirely religious in nature though. Politics played at least as important a part.

Indeed

Edited by SquigPie, 23 July 2011 - 19:30.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#11 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 19:43

The excuse of religion isn't a justification. It's more like a scapegoat to be honest.
Posted Image

#12 WarMenace

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Tester
  • 624 posts
  • Projects: None.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 22:29

Yeah I've heard of this as well. I don't know why exactly anyone would even attack Norway, it's not like they did anything. Sad story to hear, and my sympathy goes out to those effected.

Off topic: I heard that Amy Winehouse died today, though I have no idea who that is.
"Sup son? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" - dSeleCT. Team Dignitas.

#13 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 22:55

View PostWarMenace, on 24 Jul 2011, 0:29, said:

Yeah I've heard of this as well. I don't know why exactly anyone would even attack Norway, it's not like they did anything.
No-one "attacked Norway". Did you even read what happened?! :P
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 WarMenace

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Tester
  • 624 posts
  • Projects: None.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 00:28

This is where I got it from: Here. Though I probably read it wrong, because I read it earlier that a Gihad group bombed them.
"Sup son? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" - dSeleCT. Team Dignitas.

#15 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 00:45

View PostWarMenace, on 24 Jul 2011, 2:28, said:

This is where I got it from: Here. Though I probably read it wrong, because I read it earlier that a Gihad group bombed them.
A right-wing christian went nuts because the country was too left-wing and islamist for him, so he started blowing up and shooting people. That's about it. It has nothing to do with jihads or muslims.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Destiny

Forum Nakadashi-er

• Member Test
  • 3141 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:13

So the topic title...?
Posted Image

#17 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:24

Horrible thing that happened.

It's almost ironic how that guy turned to terrorism to fight "terrorism". Some people are leaking information about that guy right now. Seems to me, he's completely paranoid, talking about the marxistic leftist support of the Islam. It's like 1940 once again, except with muslims instead of jews.

At least this guy won't go to a normal Norwegian prison. That's for sure.

Edited by Ixonoclast, 24 July 2011 - 01:25.

Posted Image

#18 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:46

View PostDestiny, on 24 Jul 2011, 3:13, said:

So the topic title...?

What? Do you think only muslims can be terrorists? Seriously? What about IRA then? Or the RAF? This has nothing to do with islamists.

View PostIxonoclast, on 24 Jul 2011, 3:24, said:

Horrible thing that happened.
It's almost ironic how that guy turned to terrorism to fight "terrorism". Some people are leaking information about that guy right now. Seems to me, he's completely paranoid, talking about the marxistic leftist support of the Islam. It's like 1940 once again, except with muslims instead of jews.

At least this guy won't go to a normal Norwegian prison. That's for sure.

Hmm? He won't? There was alot of talk about it being stupid that he could only get 21 years (Norwegian law)

Edited by SquigPie, 24 July 2011 - 10:05.

- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#19 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:06

View PostDestiny, on 24 Jul 2011, 11:13, said:

So the topic title...?

Terrorism is a tactic, not an ideology.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#20 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:12

View PostSquigPie, on 24 Jul 2011, 19:46, said:

Hmm? He won't? There was alot of talk about it being stupid that he could only get 21 years (Norwegian law)
From what I've read, at least, it's maximum 21 years per crime. So he'll probably end up with a two-thousand year sentence, if that's right.
The other one I've read is they hold him for 21 years and deem if he is rehabilitated, if not they keep him in for another 21.

I could be completely wrong though, you know what sort of nonsense floats around the internet in times like this.

Posted Image

#21 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 13:47

It would take a severe lack of common sense for anyone to let this guy see the outside world again. I doubt very much that he will ever go free after killing almost 100 people.

I've tried to think about the mindset this man had to have in order to kill all of these people, but after thinking for a while I'm not sure any reasonable person could comprehend it.

Terrible news, poor Norwegians. :P

Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#22 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 24 July 2011 - 14:10

This is nothing more than an act of evil, shooting teens/borderline teens as they plead for their life... I'm sure some idiots will argue he wasn't mentally in control or something, but by the sounds of it he very much was. He should be locked up forever in the worst conditions imaginable and even that will not make up for his disgusting acts.

My thoughts go out to the survivors and families of the victims.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 24 July 2011 - 14:58

a mass murder in a remote island where a group of people had a vacation.
this scene is like typical mystery thriller story/movie, but damn, the shit got too real. :P
I couldn't think what kind of man have done all these things... alone.

#24 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 17:24

Only positive side of this attack is I hope people start to understand terror is not about religions but about people who interpret religion to their own needs. Or any ideology on that matter.
They say he will only get 21 years in jail , is that the worth of 93 young people ?

#25 Ixonoclast

Amateur

• 103 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 18:00

21 years for one murder, I assume. Given the fact that he has killed 93 people... it's pretty certain he won't get out of prison. Ever.

That whole talk about him getting out after 21 years is misinformation. Or just anti-European prison system hate speak.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users