Domain .org instead of .net

6 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:46

Our .net domain name was due for renewal on 7th May, 2011, it's pretty obvious that it wasn't renewed and here is a both a explanation as to why it wasn't and official notice that it is now going to have to be .org.

So, as I didn't write the renewal date down anywhere in 2008, we all remember the site downtime in early May this year. I got the .org domain set up as soon as we could as a temporary stop gap whilst the .net address was registered again. Unfortunately, the company that I registered the .net address with, at some point during 2009 to 2011 ceased to be that company and was purchased by another. For reasons, that are totally unknown to both me and them, my old account was not transferred into the new company and all details relating to the .net domain were effectively lost and no reminder of the expiry where sent.

There then followed a very long and drawn out scenario where I yelled at them a lot, they said they would get the domain re-registered and we went around in circles for about 2-3 weeks. Finally I decided that I would try and register the .net with another company, who then attempted to get the old [new] company to release the domain to the new [new] company, but that request ultimately timed out. About a month ago I got very frustrated and shouted even louder at the old [new] company a lot and they told me that my account details had been retrieved and that they would move the domain out of their "pending deletion" list immediately. I got an email within about 6 hours from their technical department telling me it was impossible to do this (without explaining why). Almost immediately after this exchange the domain was registered to someone else..... here.

So after huge amounts of mucking about, a small amount of cash wasted on my part, and lots of shouting, I've had to escalate the matter to their head office and am reporting them to ICANN. But bottom line, .net is gone, and .org is here to stay.

#2 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:23

That mean we'll get our sub-domains now?

Edited by Slye_Fox, 01 August 2011 - 13:23.

Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:26

Yes. As soon as I (or someone else) get time.

#4 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 01 August 2011 - 13:50

Okay.
Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 14:18

Actually, this is going to take a while longer than I previously thought. I'll prioritise those hosted mods with sites though. :rotfl:

#6 Dutchygamer

Shyborg Commander

• Member Test
  • 1899 posts
  • Projects: Frontline Chaos creator and leader, Invasion Confirmed co-leader

Posted 01 August 2011 - 16:54

So... Wiz got owned by bureaucracy/idiocracy?
Posted Image

#7 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 17:44

The tech term is a clusterfuck.

Wiz, with regard to this issue and other renewals I suggest that for the future the admins have a reminder set for everything they need to pay for within the admin forum. I don't mind the .org but I think there will be need for a wikibot very soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users