London burns

rioters run rampant

104 replies to this topic

#101 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 15:50

Fecking useless, spineless MPs decided not to put the petition for removal of rioters benefits on the table for discussion in the House of Commons.

If this weren't the Political area I'd use some very un PC language about now. >:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-14810216

#102 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:25

Good, because giving into such a petition would be giving into knee-jerk reaction mob mentality fuelled by people who don't understand the reality of the rioters/looters situation.

You think taking away benefits from the rioters would do anyone a damn bit of good? They rely on this money to live. Oh of course they should "just go and get a job" a shitty, slave wage job, which is, lets face it, all that is out there for someone who is starting at the bottom, and is far less than they be getting with benefits. Its the fault of New Labour for making it far too comfortable to live in apathy for these people.

Taking away their benefits would mean they would have nothing, which would lead to them just stealing more.

Make them do community service, see what damage they did to the community and make them realise and understand the consequence of their actions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#103 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:34

I was complaining about the lack of willingness to discuss the idea in the House of Commons. I was not actually championing the removal, despite the fact that I do agree with it.

So you think 20 hours dicking around in a park and picking up litter is going to make a difference in the rioters perspective then?

#104 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 08 September 2011 - 14:23

Obviously something like that wouldnt do it, but these people arent sociopaths, something that would rehabilitate them, not humiliate them. You saw how strong their resolve is, they think they are entitled to it, that they should get whatever they like, everyone else be damned. But you cant just write people off, sure its easier but it would have drastic consequences later on. It would take years to undo it all, not just 20 hours. Surely it would be better they do years of community service rather than sitting at home doing nothing, or worse, being forced to go out and steal.

Also you cant just "take away" benefits, there are so many different types and requirements for them, so if you take them away, do you do so forever? If the benefit is taken away and they get a job, but end up losing it through no fault of their own, do they never get job seekers allowance again? If they are allowed to go back on it after getting a job couldnt they just cheat the system by getting a job for a week, leave and then re-apply for job seekers? There are too many different ways taking away their benefits would go wrong.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#105 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 14:27

View PostPav:3d, on 08 September 2011 - 14:23, said:

Also you cant just "take away" benefits, there are so many different types and requirements for them, so if you take them away, do you do so forever? If the benefit is taken away and they get a job, but end up losing it through no fault of their own, do they never get job seekers allowance again? If they are allowed to go back on it after getting a job couldnt they just cheat the system by getting a job for a week, leave and then re-apply for job seekers? There are too many different ways taking away their benefits would go wrong.

Which is exactly why I wanted it debated, so these issues could be addressed. So far all we've seen is pretty empty political rhetoric from both sides in respect of how to deal with those who prosecuted the riots. Granted, a large percentage have been punished, some leniently, some fairly and some unfairly, by the courts. But that is a judicial matter, not a social one. I had really hoped that petition would make it to a debate so there would be some result from it, even if that result was not to take away their benefits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users