CS:GO

24 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 13:17

Kotaku

The Counter-Strike: Global Offensive rumors were true. Valve Software announced the game today and already added a listing for it to Steam.

In a press release, Valve said that "CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more."

The team-based shooter game is "targeted" for an early 2012 release on the Xbox 360's Xbox Live Arcade, the PlayStation 3's PlayStation Network, Mac and PC in early 2012.
"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," Valve spokesman Doug Lombardi said in today's announcement. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."

The game is being co-developed by Valve and Hidden Path Entertainment (the latter of whom worked with Valve on updates to Counter-Strike: Source, the game's most recent major release) and will be playable at PAX Prime in two weeks in Seattle as well as at the London Games Festival.

Interesting. I wonder what those Valve protesters are thinking right now. They were demanding a long-lost sequel from Valve, weren't they?

Updated with Confirmed news.

Interesting news, but is anyone here a Counter Strike fan?

Edited by TheDR, 12 August 2011 - 17:30.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 13:29

I've played it occasionally, but would never classify myself as a _fan_. Would love to see another competitor added to the tussle for the FPS king position though. Even though CS is still top of the played hours on Steam. If Valve get this right then they are going to make Dice and IW look very bad indeed, considering the lenghts that both go to hype up their games. Fingers crossed and all that.

#3 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 12 August 2011 - 13:41

http://csglobaloffensive.com/
Though its a fan site.

Edited by Drag#!, 12 August 2011 - 13:45.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 14:33

Well, there are two major off-turns for me:

eSports-oriented
Classic gameplay: no ironsights

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 12 August 2011 - 14:34.

#5 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 12 August 2011 - 15:01

I've played it though never really cared that much for it, plus I hate esports, especially when a game is designed around it. For CS it kind of makes sense, but for some other games it hasn't.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 15:11

I don't really like CS as the gameplay is too strict for me. By the way, it must be in extremele early development because the people invited to it didn't even have to sign an agreement not to leak any info.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 15:29

Valve doesn't need to advertise and hype, the people do it for them :xD:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 12 August 2011 - 16:13

View PostIon Cannon!, on 12 August 2011 - 15:29, said:

Valve doesn't need to advertise and hype, the people do it for them :xD:

Quite true, I didn't see any ad for Portal 2 on TV.
*Remembers when MW1 was not released yet and when there was an ad about it every 10 minutes on all gaming channels*

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#9 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 16:24

Well Portal 2 was actually massively advertised, at least in the UK. They had adverts all over the train stations. But I think that may have been because it was releasing on PS3, they wanted to get exposure for that.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 17:18

I've always wanted a new (not recycled) counterstrike, but I'm rather sceptical here. It sounds like an major upgrade of CS:S, instead of a new game. Classic CS gameplay is cool, but no Ironsights is a bit dissapointing, as well as the fact that they're still using the Source engine. Well, It's better than nothing.
Posted Image

#11 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 17:44

Updated with confirmed news. Not too much of a bad leak considering they were announcing it today.

PSN/XBox Live makes it seem like its not a real sequel, but I can't be sure till I see more.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#12 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 18:58

View PostStalker, on 12 August 2011 - 17:18, said:

I've always wanted a new (not recycled) counterstrike, but I'm rather sceptical here. It sounds like an major upgrade of CS:S, instead of a new game. Classic CS gameplay is cool, but no Ironsights is a bit dissapointing, as well as the fact that they're still using the Source engine. Well, It's better than nothing.
CSS was a major upgrade of CS, however MW2 was a minor upgrade of COD4.
Your point?

I'm interested. CS/CSS probably has the steepest learning curve of any popular online FPS so a new title is a good way to level the playing field a bit. I wouldn't say CSS is any more a competitive game than COD4, they're both esports games. And to those whining about no ironsights, learn2aim.

Posted Image

#13 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 19:09

I'm not fussed about Iron sights because they should be a gameplay choice, not a standard feature. If they added them to CS, Unreal or Quake it would slow the game down. A more level playing field is one of the main reasons why this has my interest, I could never get into CS:S as I just got the game too late.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#14 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 20:41

View PostAlias, on 12 August 2011 - 18:58, said:

Your point?

The only thing upgraded in CSS was the engine (i.e. graphics). There was no new content at all. (actually they removed the riot shield). It was a remake not a new game. My point is, that I'd like to see a new game with new content rather than a remake with new graphics.

Off topic: MW2 was a minor graphics and medium content upgrade, CSS was graphics only.

I'm interested. CS/CSS probably has the steepest learning curve of any popular online FPS so a new title is a good way to level the playing field a bit. I wouldn't say CSS is any more a competitive game than COD4, they're both esports games. And to those whining about no ironsights, learn2aim.

I want Ironsights because of that small amount of realism that should fit into such a game. And what's the difference between, -duck, then shoot- and -aim, then shoot-?
I really don't want this game to be a Call of Duty clone, I just hope they follow the path of time.
Posted Image

#15 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 21:06

View PostStalker, on 12 August 2011 - 20:41, said:

Your point?

The only thing upgraded in CSS was the engine (i.e. graphics). There was no new content at all. (actually they removed the riot shield). It was a remake not a new game. My point is, that I'd like to see a new game with new content rather than a remake with new graphics.

Off topic: MW2 was a minor graphics and medium content upgrade, CSS was graphics only.

Disagreed, CS:S changed the whole engine, which affected the physics of the game, as well as the way guns work (recoil and stuff like that)
I know quite some people who are pros at CS 1.6, but found themselves a bit confused when they first tried CS:S, and some didn't like it...

Concerning the Ironsights, adding them would simply drive away all CS veterans from the game, Valve would have to be incredibly moronic to do that.

Edited by CJ, 12 August 2011 - 21:14.

#16 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:31

Well, this will be very interesting.

Edited by deltaepsilon, 13 August 2011 - 01:35.

----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#17 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:16

View PostCJ, on 12 August 2011 - 21:06, said:

View PostStalker, on 12 August 2011 - 20:41, said:

Your point?

Disagreed, CS:S changed the whole engine, which affected the physics of the game, as well as the way guns work (recoil and stuff like that)
I know quite some people who are pros at CS 1.6, but found themselves a bit confused when they first tried CS:S, and some didn't like it...

Physics didn't really affect the game (grenades, anything else?). And there were a few balance changes. My point is that there is no new content at all. It's the same reason I'm dissapointed of Starcraft 2.
But CS:S vs. CS 1.6 is an endless discussion which we should put to an end here.

Concerning the Ironsights, adding them would simply drive away all CS veterans from the game, Valve would have to be incredibly moronic to do that.

This is true of course.

But won't the CS veterans already be driven away because of new guns and maps? (Well, they'll have de_dust2, the M4A1 and AK47 anyway)

Edited by Stalker, 13 August 2011 - 08:17.

Posted Image

#18 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:15

Posted Image
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#19 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 14 August 2011 - 15:12

Oh great another game from valve which isnt half life 3.

Theyve put themselves in an akward position here, how to appease the legions of CSS fanatics but at the same time keep it fresh and worthy of calling itself a true sequel?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:39

This will be awesome if it happens
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#21 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:33

Video and some info, seems pretty promising.

Posted Image

#22 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:23

Also the graphics feels like its BC2, but with less contrast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:12

I like how this trailer says "more weapons", yet you can see the guy selecting the same good 'ol one shotting AWP :D

#24 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:57

I haven't seen many "new" weapons, mostly replacements that will probably work the same. Molotov cocktail could be nice though.

And it looks quite good. I'm looking forward to it.
Posted Image

#25 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:54

View PostStalker, on 26 August 2011 - 09:57, said:

I haven't seen many "new" weapons, mostly replacements that will probably work the same. Molotov cocktail could be nice though.

And it looks quite good. I'm looking forward to it.

Weapons:
Decoy Grenade
Molotov
IMI Negev
Taser
Tec-9
Mag-7
Sawed-Off
PP-Bizon

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic