Camcorder advice

6 replies to this topic

#1 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 21:09

Looking to get a half-decent camcorder... I don't really know much about what is available out there... I don't really have a budget, per se, but I guess I'm looking for something no more than a few hundred pounds.

I will primarily be using it to try and get some decent footage of Bar Billiards matches... so it will need to be able to cope with pub lighting. Ideally it also needs be able to drown-out a lot of the ambient noise... I don't really know if that's possible... or maybe I would need to get separate audio recording equipment? Or perhaps that's something to look into in the future.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. 8|

Edited by Bob, 21 September 2011 - 21:11.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 21:20

Yay, a topic I'm useful for 8|

Where are you going to use this footage?
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 21:52

I just bought this one

Posted Image

I can't fault it for anything besides not having a battery that lasts a year 8|

#4 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 22:09

View PostTheDR, on 21 September 2011 - 21:20, said:

I will most likely be uploading to youtube, but I would also like to be able to display stuff on a TV (in real-time) and record at the same time (I'm guessing that's possible?).
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 23:09

View PostWizard, on 21 September 2011 - 21:52, said:

I just bought this one

Posted Image

I can't fault it for anything besides not having a battery that lasts a year :P

Well if Bob is recording in a pub, it's likely he can just plug it in to record, so battery life isn't really an issue.

View PostBob, on 21 September 2011 - 22:09, said:

View PostTheDR, on 21 September 2011 - 21:20, said:

I will most likely be uploading to youtube, but I would also like to be able to display stuff on a TV (in real-time) and record at the same time (I'm guessing that's possible?).

Yeah, you should be able to display the footage while filming (via a standard component lead that comes with the camera) however some cameras won't do it and others will, like most features on camcorders they vary quite substantially camera to camera.

The main problem you are going to get with cheap video cameras is that they don't record in low light very well, I recommend putting that at the top of your list or forking out a bit more, otherwise all your footage will be dark and grainy.

Soundwise, most cameras have limited sound quality. You can't really get rid of ambient noise unless you use a shotgun mic (a mic that picks up a particular point/person) but they are expensive and don't work with cheap cameras (you may be able to use a separate audio recording device, but they are about £100-£200). How important is the sound? If you just need to pick up the ball getting knocked about and the occasional cough it should be fine.

If you give me a more precise price, I will have a look around for a camera that suits your needs.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 21:06

Good video quality is definitely the most important aspect; there isn't much footage of Bar Billiards on the interwebs, and I don't want to add to the small collection with low quality stuff. D: I've had real problems getting a decent photo of a table (in pub conditions) let alone trying to video one, so I really do need advice.

As for the audio, it's not vital, and as you say, it's pretty much just going to be balls falling holes. However, in most games there is usually a marker who announces the score after each shot, so it would be good to hear that and to minimise general pub noise. If this would cost me considerably more, it might just be something to look into in the future.

As I said, I don't really have a budget... I just don't want to pay ridiculous amounts to get a couple of extra pixels. 8| If you were to push me for a budge, I guess around about £300?

EDIT: And correct, battery life isn't a huge issue. I will generally be near a power supply. I can always unplug the spotlight above the table, I'm sure no-one will mind. :P

Edited by Bob, 22 September 2011 - 21:07.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#7 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 22:00

For those that are interested; Doc recommended the Panasonic SD90 and I just ordered it. Since I don't pay VAT ( Posted Image ), I got it for £302~... not bad considering the RRP is £530. :P Just gotta hope Doc knows what he's talking about. 8|
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users