This is Jinsy

1 reply to this topic

#1 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 21:30

Anyone watch 'This is Jinsy'? I honestly don't know what to make of it. 8|

If you don't know about it, it's a comedy from a Guernsey duo, that's being shown on Sky Atlantic. It's been compared (at least in the local paper) to Monty Python and the League of Gentlemen. I can't really see the League of Gentlemen aspect myself, but I can kinda see the Monty Python side of things. Throw in some Mighty Boosh, Tim and Eric, Look Around You and some weird in-bred, island related humour (I'm sure you'd appreciate that side of things, Chyros :P) and you start to get the picture.

It all seemed rather silly, and it really shouldn't (and in parts, doesn't) work... but I did find myself laughing at times. D:

I didn't see it, but the pilot on BBC seemed to be funnier. D:

Edited by Bob, 22 September 2011 - 21:37.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:10

For the clip you have show, it seems a bit lackluster with the only joke in the video being "look how we can exaggerate how crap this place is".

I've watched the rest and the problem seems to be is that the comedy duo seem to be a bit unmemorable and the sketches themselves completely rely on the surreal aspect while the idea of building up the jokes seems to be missing. They seem to cut straight into the weird, weird is only funny when there is a kind of 'control', something to contrast the weird to.

It has the same style and tone of The Mighty Boosh, but lacks the overall story, characters and normal control (The Majority of The Boosh is weird, but the main characters, Vince and Howard, are reasonably normal at most times with the world around them being crazy, creating a welcomed contrast).

Overall I'm not really a fan.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users