Nitronic Rush - A Free PC Racer

16 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 19:08

PC gamer did a segment on free games of the week, I wasn't expecting much from a game called Nitronic Rush, I also wasn't expecting much of a free racer on the PC, but I like to try these things just in case I find a good one and Nitronic Rush is just simply excellent.

Give the announcement trailer a watch.

Not only does the game control well, look great and has well designed levels, it also has a fitting and powerful musical accompaniment to go along with it (it was most impressive with surround sound speakers).

I'd say this game is for the Trackmania and Wipeout fans, you'd be missing out if you didn't try it. Head out to the download page!

PS: Also on that PC gamer list is a game called Fragmentation, its worth a try as well.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 19:44

The music to Nitronic Rush reminds me of the tunes you hear at Moxxi's in Borderlands. Looks like they combined Wipeout with Tron, and threw in a random Dodge Ram van for the lolz.
Posted Image

#3 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 21:12

The story mode was rather... easy.

But the hardcore levels (only played the first 2 so far) are pretty sweet. :o
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 23:18

Wow, I have to say the visuals and audio stuff of this look and sound breathtaking =o . It's a pity the vehicles aren't real vehicles but that really wouldn't fit the game's styling I guess.

You mention wipeout; is this a combat racer?
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 23:24

It isn't a combat racer.

It's kinda like trackmania, gameplay-wise.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 23:37

Clicky for video.

Forgot to record sound so just added some Trance/Techno whatever. I'm finding the controls a tad awkward but loving it otherwise.

Edited by Warbz, 20 November 2011 - 23:37.

Posted Image

#7 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 23:51

Bob, on 20 November 2011 - 21:12, said:

The story mode was rather... easy.

But the hardcore levels (only played the first 2 so far) are pretty sweet. :o

I think the story mode was more about doing tricks and racking up score than track difficulty, it was a bit easy although still enjoyable.

Chyros, on 20 November 2011 - 23:18, said:

Wow, I have to say the visuals and audio stuff of this look and sound breathtaking =o . It's a pity the vehicles aren't real vehicles but that really wouldn't fit the game's styling I guess.

You mention wipeout; is this a combat racer?

I mentioned Wipeout due to the fact it gives off a Wipeout future racer vibe, like Bob said it isn't a combat racer, its a single player 'survival racer'.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Warbz

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:58

Nitronic Rush

Better quality vid, this time the 1st (not including the training) hardcore level.I'm loving it, quite difficult, but that's a good thing. :D

Edited by Warbz, 21 November 2011 - 01:59.

Posted Image

#9 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:44

That game reminds me of Stunt GP.

I think I should give it a try since I still play Stunt GP~
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#10 Krieger22

Semi-Pro

• 224 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:09

ΓΛPTΘΓ, on 21 November 2011 - 02:44, said:

That game reminds me of Stunt GP.

I think I should give it a try since I still play Stunt GP~

Oh, yes, I remember. My disk stopped working a while back, might want to try this.

Sareen said:

NOOO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOO ...*closes ears* lalalala that never happened!

#11 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:21

I can't get it to work D: . The game fades to a black screen about 0.25 seconds after loading the main screen.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 17:22

Played a little bit of this. Must admit it was quite fun, if the story does finish in about 10 seconds flat. The hardcore ones are bloody impossible though!
For there can be no death without life.

#13 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 17:25

I finally managed to finish the hardcore ones earlier today, it is possible (they're brilliant, by the way).
Hardcore #5 took bloody forever though, at least 10 minutes. The others are fairly simple once you get the mechanics down pat.

Sort of not much to do once you put in the 2 hours and finish everything though.

Posted Image

#14 Warbz

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 18:26

Alias, on 21 November 2011 - 17:25, said:

Hardcore #5 took bloody forever though, at least 10 minutes.

This amused me very much, no offence. :P

Alias, on 21 November 2011 - 17:25, said:

Sort of not much to do once you put in the 2 hours and finish everything though.

So true, I was quite surprised when I realised I'd done everything.

Posted Image

#15 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 21 November 2011 - 21:50

Sounds like a mix of Rush 2049 + Tron + Megarace (the good and old megarace 2... oh boy... I really miss this game.)!

Gonna try it!
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#16 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 23:29

I managed to get it working now.

I have to say, it was quite fun right up until the hardcore tutorial; then it became the most frustrating game in the known universe.

The "survival race" genre they mean actually has existed for a while with stuff like Hamster Ball but personally I find games of this nature extremely annoying. A game that looks and sounds as well as this should be a real racing game, not a "tap space and press A/D while pressing shift at high speed to roll 180 degrees" game, at least IMO. The controls needed in the main story line are just good to make a nice, casual racing game while you can still retain gravity shifts and stuff like that. All the button-pressing is not needed really. Racing this against other people, possibly with weapons, would be quite good I think.

inb4buywipeout
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Warbz

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 00:05

Chyros, on 21 November 2011 - 23:29, said:

I managed to get it working now.

I have to say, it was quite fun right up until the hardcore tutorial; then it became the most frustrating game in the known universe.

The "survival race" genre they mean actually has existed for a while with stuff like Hamster Ball but personally I find games of this nature extremely annoying. A game that looks and sounds as well as this should be a real racing game, not a "tap space and press A/D while pressing shift at high speed to roll 180 degrees" game, at least IMO. The controls needed in the main story line are just good to make a nice, casual racing game while you can still retain gravity shifts and stuff like that. All the button-pressing is not needed really. Racing this against other people, possibly with weapons, would be quite good I think.

inb4buywipeout

I disagree, I think it's it's very challenging and entertaining with aesthetically pleasing visuals and sounds, although i think if they did implement a multilayer feature like you suggest it would add so much more.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users