Drawing a day 2012

26 replies to this topic

#1 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 00:51

Hey!

I thought it would be a cool idea to create a drawing a day and post it on a blog. Its mainly for myself to improve my drawing skills, but I'd like to get input from some people In the form of comments and ideas of what I can draw.

Here is a link to the blog.

Every so often I will call upon this thread for ideas and with an occasional update of some drawings that I liked.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#2 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:08

That's a pretty cool idea. Wish I could commit to something like that. :P

Good luck. ;P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:14

Every month you can do a guest piece Bob :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#4 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts
  • Projects: New!

Posted 31 December 2011 - 16:18

Looks cool! I'll be watching closely!

Just don't forget to notify us when a new drawing is up :P
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:35

Good luck with sticking to it mate. Wen first one GET?!?

#6 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:19

Here is my first drawing. Its quite random, but what did you really expect? :P

I call it Dictator Bot, feel free to give me a few ideas of what I can draw next.

Posted Image

Hopefully when I get more time I will learn a few more techniques and I will start to shade my drawings more, but this is a good start.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#7 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 02 January 2012 - 14:26

It is a great idea to start with something that have more straight lines. Until you get used to shading as well with nice shadowing and background, it is simply easier to get something with more straight line drawn. Keep it up.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#8 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 14:43

yeah, what paptor said. try your hand at something mechanical with lots of different shapes like tubes, boxes, cones and so forth. that'll lay out a nice basis for your shading.
it's time to wake up

#9 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:13

Raptor and Camille already said what I gonna say, they are right, do not make the mistakes I do, first learn the basics of shading,lighting and if you are serious about it learn colour theory aswell, then start with complex designs, I had hard time to change my drawing style and improve it for myself, it is hard because I were not working on simple things. Do some cubes and calculate ( don't make the math :P ) where the light and shadows will fell and add more geometric shapes each next time, like spheres and pyramids.

After understanding the shadows and lighting, start sketching but do not create straight and hard lines, draw free and smooth, keep the pressure low, it is easier to correct the angles and reshape the sketch that way. Good luck and have fun with drawing :)

#10 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 23:20

Day 2

Thanks for the comments, your tips and knowledge are a valuable resource in my early drawing days.
I'm feeling this first month is going to be full of different styles, if anyone has any tips or links to tips on basic drawing in photoshop I would be truly appreciative.

Edited by TheDR, 02 January 2012 - 23:20.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#11 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 23:42

Not a lot I can say about illustration really but I'd say that the use of the tablet doesn't stop you using the tools on Photoshop - even on a sketch such as the gears I'd use the tools to create objects - such as the circles that the gears start from, and the lines drawn across the middle, etc. Photoshop is there to enhance, not just mimic your natural abilities :D
For there can be no death without life.

#12 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 14:50

View PostTheDR, on 02 January 2012 - 23:20, said:

Day 2

Thanks for the comments, your tips and knowledge are a valuable resource in my early drawing days.
I'm feeling this first month is going to be full of different styles, if anyone has any tips or links to tips on basic drawing in photoshop I would be truly appreciative.

I assume you use tablet ?

#13 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 16:37

http://www.blender3d...products_id=122

Very good. It's in the Creative Commons License, so you should have no probleman downloading it. Unless you want and has the money to support Blender Foundation :P
"The entire ocean. The entire world. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what Tidal Wars really is... is freedom."
Posted Image

#14 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 21:30

Day 3

It's Bob's house! :P

View PostAJ, on 02 January 2012 - 23:42, said:

Not a lot I can say about illustration really but I'd say that the use of the tablet doesn't stop you using the tools on Photoshop - even on a sketch such as the gears I'd use the tools to create objects - such as the circles that the gears start from, and the lines drawn across the middle, etc. Photoshop is there to enhance, not just mimic your natural abilities :D

For some reason I always forget to use the shapes. You'd be pleased to know I used the circle a couple of times in today's drawing :P

View PostGeneral, on 03 January 2012 - 14:50, said:

View PostTheDR, on 02 January 2012 - 23:20, said:

Day 2

I assume you use tablet ?

Yeah, I do use a tablet.
That video is very cool, thanks.

View PostGen.Kenobi, on 03 January 2012 - 16:37, said:

http://www.blender3d...products_id=122

Very good. It's in the Creative Commons License, so you should have no probleman downloading it. Unless you want and has the money to support Blender Foundation :P

Thanks for that, I watched the free one and it was very good. Some of the programs it links to seem quite interesting as well.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#15 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 15:03

Well my biggest thing for you to work on from today's drawing would be perspective. The speaker doesn't look like it's behind the house, and if it's supposed to be to the right and facing it, that doesn't look like its happening either. Found these, they may be of use: http://www.artyfacto...ctive_index.htm :D

#16 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 15:21

I would rather say that the speaker is supposed to be that large. What does hamper the impact of the drawing is the position in relation to the perspective, i.e., the perspective doesn't follow that of the house.

#17 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 15:38

Oh, I'm not denying the size of the speaker works, rather I'm noting as you did, that the perspective does't work. |8

#18 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 16:48

@TheDR: glady you liked it. :)

BTw nice picture. For some reason i like sketches.. :) You just need to work out on the perspective, like AJ said eheheheheh
Posted Image

#19 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 23:12

Day 4 - Hand

@AJ: Yeah, I tried fixing the speaker but ended up just making it worse, I didn't want to miss the day deadline so I just posted it as it is. That link looks quite good, thanks. I realise perspective is one of the biggest things I need work on (or just need to put more effort into :P).
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#20 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 23:48

tbh iwouldn't start shading just yet. it might sound silly but at this point it'll hold you back more than anything. first thing with hands (and everything in general) is shape and balance. try to get that shape just right and make it look like a hand that COULD be real. this is very important if you want to have the ability to draw stuff from heart. the reason for all this is that even though the object might be well shaded, it will still look like ass since it's proportions and shape will be all messed up.

so focus on lineart first and only start shading when you are at least 90% sure the shape is right. i recommend you ask other people to rate it before doing any shading. the reason for this is because when you are working on something for a long time, you get accustomed to it and start overlooking certain things that seem obvious to outsiders. the best thing you can do is ask feedback as soon as possible.

as for the project btw, good idea. it will be interesting to see your development.
it's time to wake up

#21 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 14:41

Why did u stop updating here? :P

I thought that you abandoned your project, untill I checked your blog :P
Posted Image

#22 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 19:56

View PostGen.Kenobi, on 11 January 2012 - 14:41, said:

untill I checked your blog :P

I think that would be the idea. ;)
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#23 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 13:34

Sorry about not updating this thread, I didn't want to spam it every day and end up double, triple, quadruple posting :P. For the update, Eight new drawings, with the latest one being the most complicated.

Thanks again Gen. Kenobi, those blender tutorials were really good and have helped me a lot.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#24 Gen.Kenobi

Set sails!

• Project Leader
  • 1170 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 21:54

Anytime, TheDR. ;)
Posted Image

#25 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 19:48

I did it, I did a drawing everyday for a whole year!

Here is a video showing all the drawings in order :D

I don't think I will carry on for another year :P
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users