Rigging a turret with a wire: Help needed!

4 replies to this topic

#1 Madin

Amateur

• 138 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:07

I have a Laser tower model I got from DonutArnold.

Posted Image

My question is this: When it comes to rigging the turret, how I am I going to get the wire at the rear of the turret to move correctly when the turret pitches up or down to hit a target?

I am only used to very basic rigging, so any ideas will be of great help!

#2 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 20:41

I'm afraid that's not possible.

#3 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 07 January 2012 - 16:01

maybe worldwrap it like to make infantry animation?
but dunno how to get it works in CNC3.

#4 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:07

You should first simplify the wire mesh. About five joints should be more than enough. See this sketch:
Posted Image
Now, the easiest solution is to link the green vertex groups to the turret pitch bone (green) and all others to the turret turn bone (red). An advanced solution would be to give the blue bones a second bone influence from the pitch bone with a weight of about 25% - AFAIK the normal WWSkin modifier does not export secondary bone influences properly, so you'd have to search for a solution on how to do this manually.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#5 Madin

Amateur

• 138 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:40

Golan, on 09 January 2012 - 11:07, said:

You should first simplify the wire mesh. About five joints should be more than enough. See this sketch:

Now, the easiest solution is to link the green vertex groups to the turret pitch bone (green) and all others to the turret turn bone (red). An advanced solution would be to give the blue bones a second bone influence from the pitch bone with a weight of about 25% - AFAIK the normal WWSkin modifier does not export secondary bone influences properly, so you'd have to search for a solution on how to do this manually.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I will investigate this at a future date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users