Looking for a new heatsink/cooler

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 26 January 2012 - 14:10

I've noticed that increasingly my PC is running much hotter than it should be, while the rest temp is fine at 40 degrees c, under most games it seems to spike up to 65-70+ alot. I've noticed more that the fans are really having to work and making alot of noise in the process, even for games that shouldn't be a problem like - Dungeon Defenders.

I can still run the games themselves fine, even up to Crysis on max, but dear god does it get hot, and it never used to do that.

So to that end i'm looking for a new heatsink/cooler and associated thermal paste. I want it to be as quiet and cool as possible and my budget is up to £75.

My CPU is an intel core 2 duo E8500 OC'd to 3.33Ghz from 3.17 - well it was, I've taken off the OC for now.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 ΓΛPTΘΓ

Ecchi Toaster

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects: Spam

Posted 26 January 2012 - 14:35

With a budget up to £75, you can get the very best of air coolers. Thermal paste, I will recommend some Arctic Cooling MX4.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome radio

19:44 - Chyros: I'm very harmless

#3 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 16:45

I know, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend one. I've looked at various review sites on the internet and such, but I would still appreciate the input.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 23:01

Buy a can of compressed air and clear all your fans out before spending money on a new heatsink.

#5 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 14:30

I already did that, it lowered temps a bit, but not enough. My Arctic Cooler 13 arrived today, cost £20 and after a slightly fiddly installation my load temp is now down to 43C.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users