Image Hosting

9 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:53

I have a couple multi-gigabyte image files and I want to share them with others, but I'm unable to find a free hosting service that can handle them. Anyone have any suggestions?
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#2 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 14:03

okay first question: how the hell did you manage to make them multi-gigabyte? and why can't you use modern compression methods like jpeg (meh) PNG or (god forbid) GIF, just to name a few?

as for image hosting, i seriously doubt there is any image hoster that will let you upload multi-gig single images... afaik they are all capped at around 10 mb.
it's time to wake up

#3 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 14:20

View PostCamille, on 05 February 2012 - 14:03, said:

okay first question: how the hell did you manage to make them multi-gigabyte? and why can't you use modern compression methods like jpeg (meh) PNG or (god forbid) GIF, just to name a few?

If you can find a place to host them, I can link you to them and you can see for yourself why.(One is a jpeg and the other is a gif)

There's a sooper seekrit reward in it for you!

View PostCamille, on 05 February 2012 - 14:03, said:

as for image hosting, i seriously doubt there is any image hoster that will let you upload multi-gig single images... afaik they are all capped at around 10 mb.

I tried the supposedly "unlimited" hosters TinyPic and ePhotobay but they crapped out on me while uploading.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#4 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 14:35

Do you need to be able to view the image(s) online? If so, it's extremely unlikely that you will find any that will 1) Let you upload a file that size; or 2) Not drastically resize / optimise them. Even paid for services

Your best bet would be compress them, and upload to a file sharing site.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 Dr. Strangelove

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 14:37

View PostBob, on 05 February 2012 - 14:35, said:

Do you need to be able to view the image(s) online? If so, it's extremely unlikely that you will find any that will 1) Let you upload a file that size; or 2) Not drastically resize / optimise them. Even paid for services

Your best bet would be compress them, and upload to a file sharing site.

Gee, well that kind of ruins my fun. In that case, I'll rar them and upload them later today, so you guys can try and find out why they're so big. Think of it as a treasure hunt.

Edited by Dr. Strangelove, 05 February 2012 - 14:39.

Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#6 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 05 February 2012 - 15:18

You could try using box.net, it has a 50GB storage (for free, but you have to install one of their mobile apps, not sure how much space you get otherwise) and it can display images directly.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#7 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 15:28

View PostCJ, on 05 February 2012 - 15:18, said:

You could try using box.net, it has a 50GB storage (for free, but you have to install one of their mobile apps, not sure how much space you get otherwise) and it can display images directly.

According to their pricing page, their free package you get 5GB of storage, and only 25MB per file.

Edited by Bob, 05 February 2012 - 15:28.

Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 15:46

well at least that's 15 mb more than most major image hosts.

strangelove, i'm curious as to how you managed to make the pictures so immense. unless it's macro-photography or stuff like that i can't see what on earth could make a single picture multiple gigabytes large.
it's time to wake up

#9 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 15:50

My guess would be that there is something else embedded in the picture file.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#10 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 05 February 2012 - 16:12

My guess is that he downloaded image files from google earth and glued them together 8|
EDIT: And in any case, I doubt there's many people who could load an embedded image of that size. Firefox/Chrome would probably timeout before 10% of it is loaded D:

Edited by CJ, 05 February 2012 - 16:16.

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users