Company of Heroes 2 Revealed in PC Gamer UK

Hell Yes

23 replies to this topic

#1 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 21:08

There have been rumors that a new CoH has been in development for a while now, but there really hasn't been all that much to go other than some rumors here and there that it's been in development along with a new Dawn of War game.

That changed today. A thread on Reddit has scans of the newest issue of PC Gamer UK, and inside it has a reveal for the sequel to Company of Heroes with a wealth of information.

Here is an imgur gallery containing a full scan of the article.

The new Company of Heroes is going to take place on the Eastern Front of World War II, and will have new dynamics such as snow drifts which can slow down units and bog down tanks. There's no word on whether or not there will be base building and how close the game will follow what Dawn of War II did.

#2 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 03 May 2012 - 22:02

You also burn down buildings and other neat new things.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#3 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 15:40

Not much details yet. But the info seems reliable. Seems that Russians are in the mix this time. If its even close to the original I'd be happy :).

---------------------
Edit: Found some more info from PC Gamer site.
  • It’s set on the Russian front. You control the Soviets in their fight to repel the invading Nazi force.
  • Snow plays a major part on the battlefield.
  • The cover system has been revamped.
  • The game is due out 2013.

Edit 2: Scans of the leaked PC gamer article containing more info.

Edited by Raven, 05 May 2012 - 16:59.

#4 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 17:18

Umm dude, http://forum.fallout...079#entry887079
Posted ImagePosted Image

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#5 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 18:11

lol sorry...Didn't see that. Perhaps the threads can be merged? although the info is redundant..

#6 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:26

In one of the scans they say that they will not make any drastic changes as with DOW2, which I think means that base building would be present.

#7 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:50

View PostRaven, on 06 May 2012 - 12:26, said:

In one of the scans they say that they will not make any drastic changes as with DOW2, which I think means that base building would be present.

Yay, I hope this is true!

The only problem I can find with this game is how are they going to expand on the amazing game that is CoH? I wonder if they will they take inspiration from the Blitzkrieg mod (and I hope they support modding if they don't).
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#8 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 06 May 2012 - 14:51

I hope they still have the other factions (US & UK), even if only for multiplayer.

A cool mode could be like the Dark Crusade campaign, where you pick a faction to conquer Europe and other territories (eg; Egypt, Falkland Islands, Hawaii).
Posted Image

#9 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:14

I'm quite interested to see where this will go. I'm definitely hoping for base building to still be around, was one of my biggest peeves with DOW2, along with the lack of Necrons. :(

View PostTheDR, on 06 May 2012 - 12:50, said:

The only problem I can find with this game is how are they going to expand on the amazing game that is CoH? I wonder if they will they take inspiration from the Blitzkrieg mod (and I hope they support modding if they don't).
Blitzkrieg was nice, but it wasn't without (some rather severe) issues. There was huge unit redundancies left right and centre, it overcomplicated the whole game just for the sake of 'realism'.

One of the things all of the Relic RTS titles have in common is very good unit composition. Each faction/race has units that have a role throughout the entire game, nothing ever becomes redundant and you can't win just by spamming a single unit. This was true from Homeworld to Dawn of War to Company of Heroes to Dawn of War II, and it is what (at least in my view) - along with the settings the games are in - makes them a joy to play. Whenever I loaded up Blitzkrieg to play instead of vanilla, it felt more like a chore than something I actually wanted to play.

That's my opinion, at least.

To be honest I'd just be happy with a little more expansion to the concept (like Opposing Fronts, and just about every other Relic expansion has done) and I'd buy it immediately.

Edited by Alias, 07 May 2012 - 07:18.

Posted Image

#10 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:51

View PostTheDR, on 06 May 2012 - 12:50, said:

View PostRaven, on 06 May 2012 - 12:26, said:

Yay, I hope this is true!

Yep its difficult to make something better given the CoH standards. We'll have upated gfx, and perhaps the environment might play a big part. Already snow seems to make some difference in terms of game play. The PC gamer article says that the cover system would be revamped also.

My only worry atm is THQs financial status, and it might prompt them to cut some corners.

Edited by Raven, 08 May 2012 - 02:52.

#11 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:11

View PostAlias, on 07 May 2012 - 07:14, said:

I'm quite interested to see where this will go. I'm definitely hoping for base building to still be around, was one of my biggest peeves with DOW2, along with the lack of Necrons. :(

I know I've said this before, but it really wasn't that big of a deal, imo.

The bigger issue was the fact that battles were much smaller scale than before, but this was adequately balanced by a more immersive and micro orientated level of combat.

#12 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:16

Necrons are one of the least popular factions.

Also, as a somewhat off topic side question. What do you guys think of their new lore?

Not sure if I like it, too much Tomb Kings and too many retcons.

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#13 Camille

girl eater

• Project Team
  • 2351 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 18:47

View PostSquigPie, on 08 May 2012 - 18:16, said:

Necrons are one of the least popular factions.

but so cool! D8
it's time to wake up

#14 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:11

MOAR NEWS!!
http://www.kotaku.co...-fire-and-snow/
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:10

Really like the tank commandeering thing. Looks like this is shaping up to be one of the best and bad news for EA and Generals 2

Edited by Raven, 28 May 2012 - 06:10.

#16 Slye_Fox

FOXTec Leader

• Project Leader
  • 2351 posts
  • Projects: CnC: Condition Red, Sigma Invasion, Armoured Sky: Ethereal Dawn

Posted 20 September 2012 - 23:03

You can pre-purchase it on Steam now.
Posted Image

#17 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 23:09

Not only that, but the more pre-purchases there are the more free stuff you can get.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:53

Its already the 5th top selling game atm.

Reward 3
Everything Above, Plus:
Company of Heroes 2 Commissar Chest*

• In-Game Currency Gift to be Used Towards Purchasing Future Content
  • XP Boost
  • Unit Boost
  • Commander Archetype

Are we seeing a hint of micro transaction model in-game or is it just that they reserve a fixed amount for future DLCs where we can choose the DLC within currency gift limit. If its the former case I'd be disappointed.

#19 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:39

Is that a legit question? Didn't you how fucked up Company of Heroes online, with more than half the units requiring you to buy them from the store before you can use them ingame?

Everyone and their dog is going for pay 2 win these days, even full priced games, it would seem...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#20 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:28

Getting less and less excited about this. May as well just stay with vCOH/OF.

DLC unlocking is alright (not 'good', but not horrible) for single-player or co-op centred games like Borderlands or Just Cause but for (supposed) competitive multiplayer games like this or League of Legends it is just absolutely stupid. And the sad part is people actually buy into it.

View PostCJ, on 21 September 2012 - 04:39, said:

Is that a legit question? Didn't you how fucked up Company of Heroes online, with more than half the units requiring you to buy them from the store before you can use them ingame?

Everyone and their dog is going for pay 2 win these days, even full priced games, it would seem...
Except Valve. 8|

Dota 2 and CS:GO 4lyf. 8D

Posted Image

#21 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:18

THQ Dissolved. It seems that DoW and CoH franchises were snatched by Sega. Better than EA buying em I guess :).

http://www.ign.com/a...s-devs-acquired

#22 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:15

Better SEGA than just about anyone else, tbh (especially Zenimax).

SEGA has been pretty good in regards to the Total War franchise, I can't see why they'd be any different regarding Relic.

Posted Image

#23 Raven

Ready to rumble

• Member Test
  • 854 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:31

Agreed. Lets see what they'd do with DOW 3. CoH 2 is too late for any changes I guess.

#24 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:38

Indeed – also worth of note is Sega now owns both the rights to Warhammer Fantasy games (Creative Assembly) and to 40K games (Relic).

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users