Diablo 3

49 replies to this topic

#1 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict - Particle FX & Coder

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:32

My copy should arrive today, who else already has it/ is getting it soon?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:36

Mine was sent yesterday, should be arriving today :D .Tbh I can't wait, I'm going to play the shit out of it.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3868 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:43

View PostChyros, on 15 May 2012 - 08:36, said:

Tbh I can't wait, I'm going to play the shit out of it.

^This.
Since I get a retail copy and don't order it over web, it may take a while though, sometimes it comes a few days later or a week, I waited that long and can wait for one more damn week anyway :P

#4 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:06

I'm excited, but I do have some concerns. Normal mode seems to be beyond easy and while I get that it's normal mode, it should still be possible to die - which doesn't seem to be the case, areas also seem to be much much smaller than in D2 and some areas seem to lack huge hordes of monsters.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:14

View PostIon Cannon!, on 15 May 2012 - 09:06, said:

I'm excited, but I do have some concerns. Normal mode seems to be beyond easy and while I get that it's normal mode, it should still be possible to die - which doesn't seem to be the case, areas also seem to be much much smaller than in D2 and some areas seem to lack huge hordes of monsters.
They didn't exactly show any big boss or nasty Unique battles. Be honest, when was the last time you died in D2 to a normal monster, i.e. a non-Unique, non-boss one? :xD:

All of it is promo material anyway. I've tried to avoid spoilers as much as possible, but it seems like there's even more exciting builds this time around. I'm going for the demon hunter and witch-doctor first :D .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:20

Can't say I am really arsed about spoilers, been watching livestream content for a while now..

Another gripe - items don't have huge lists of bonuses, its just 4 or so. :( Maybe it's different with uniques, but honestly, while it looks good, this isn't living up to what I hoped it would be.

I have also seen some boss battles, they're cool - but again stupidly faceroll easy.

As for dying in D2, some combinations of unique were extremely nasty - lightning enchanted was always a pain for a melee character. I've seen nothing of the sort so far.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 15 May 2012 - 09:25.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:54

It just arrived, now despite everything I have just said - time to play!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:05

US servers went up a couple of hours ago, been playing it on/off for the last hour and a half.

Keen for some games on the weekend, I guess.

Posted Image

#9 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:43

Been playing for an hour or two already with a mate, it's pretty nifty but I'm getting concerned it's horribly easy... fingers crossed that will change as we move further on, though...
For there can be no death without life.

#10 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:58

View PostAJ, on 15 May 2012 - 11:43, said:

Been playing for an hour or two already with a mate, it's pretty nifty but I'm getting concerned it's horribly easy... fingers crossed that will change as we move further on, though...
It concerned me too, but be aware that the difficulty we're playing on - normal - is the first of four, so I don't think it will be easy forever.

Alright - I'm in Act 2 now, and it's definitely quite a bit harder than Act 1 was, so yes - it does get harder.

Edited by Alias, 15 May 2012 - 16:17.

Posted Image

#11 Wanderer

Lurking around since 2005

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 16:17

I got myself a copy today. Wasn't planning to get it, but my friend had preordered it 4 years ago and then forgotten about it, then he had preordered the CE-edition

#12 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 15 May 2012 - 16:18

4 year old preoder? Blizzard sure did release the game quickly...

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#13 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 19:25

View PostCJ, on 15 May 2012 - 16:18, said:

4 year old preoder? Blizzard sure did release the game quickly...
That and major feature creep :xD: .

Mine still hasn't arrived apparently.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 21:52

Don't worry Chyros, whilst it's a great game, the first 24hrs are full of teething problems, and you'd probably be more aggravated than enjoying yourself. It's irritating trying to login, and when you have done so, you get timed out, or the server gives you a ping of 500ms. It's awful.

The game is brilliant. The bugs are... quite annoying.
For there can be no death without life.

#15 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 22:07

View PostAJ, on 15 May 2012 - 21:52, said:

Don't worry Chyros, whilst it's a great game, the first 24hrs are full of teething problems, and you'd probably be more aggravated than enjoying yourself. It's irritating trying to login, and when you have done so, you get timed out, or the server gives you a ping of 500ms. It's awful.

The game is brilliant. The bugs are... quite annoying.
Yes, I've heard the servers completely crashed :xD: . I guess in the meantime I can work on finishing my literature thesis anyway :xD: .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 00:58

Apparently the servers worked well for full 60 seconds after launch.... 8| Not to mention the whole 2-3 hour "servers too busy" that happened in the middle of EU-prime time

#17 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 21:34

First impressions; it looks fantastic! Graphics are definitely everything one could hope for. I'm still trying to get the grips of the game, as it's so different from Diablo 2 they hardly share more than the name. So much so that I have no clue how much damage I'm doing, how to actually map skills (can't seem to make it do a melee attack even with the advanced skill selector option) and a lot more I had actually hoped my thousands of hours of Diablo 2 would make very easy for me, but I guess I'll just have to relearn the game. As such, I can't really say much yet; the features I'm more intrigued about I can't yet explore, such as map randomisation, which seems fantastically brilliant if they managed it with the amount of details in each map.

Though I'm having a ball here, there is one tiny terrifying thought; from the way I'm ranking up now, it looks as if class X at level Y will always have the same skills unlocked because there doesn't seem to be any skill points you cvan spend or even skill levels. This would be incredibly lame because it's the one thing that kept me playing D2 for 13 years straight, but I'm hoping I just don't have a clue how the game actually works yet and that I'm completely wrong about this.
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 Wanderer

• Member Test
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 23:16

There is no basic melee attack. It's all skills that you have. And that thought of yours is absolutely right

#19 Stalker

All Purpose ZH Modder

• Project Team
  • 568 posts
  • Projects: secret stuff.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:00

Also there is an Interface option for advanced tooltips to see how much damage you are doing.
Posted Image

#20 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 15:16

View PostStalker, on 17 May 2012 - 12:00, said:

Also there is an Interface option for advanced tooltips to see how much damage you are doing.

I thought that just explained what the damage was based on - EG does 225% of weapon damage as arcane - it doesn't actually tell you the numbers, something which really frustrates me. I also really dislike how random the uniques are - the uniques in D2 were much better.

Also, always online fucking sucks. This is the only game I have bought / am going to buy that has this wretched system on it.

Edited by Ion Cannon!, 17 May 2012 - 15:21.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 15:25

View PostIon Cannon!, on 17 May 2012 - 15:16, said:

I thought that just explained what the damage was based on - EG does 225% of weapon damage as arcane - it doesn't actually tell you the numbers, something which really frustrates me. I also really dislike how random the uniques are - the uniques in D2 were much better.

Also, always online fucking sucks. This is the only game I have bought / am going to buy that has this wretched system on it.
There is an option for damage numbers in the menu.

Pretty much turn everything on there - including health bars, healing numbers and all the other things you need. First thing I did.

Posted Image

#22 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 20:39

View PostAlias, on 17 May 2012 - 15:25, said:

Pretty much turn everything on there - including health bars, healing numbers and all the other things you need. First thing I did.

I have turned those on, but those are combat only. There doesn't seem to be anywhere which says - Arcane orb does 652-856 damage, or that electrocute does 101-121 for example.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#23 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 21:00

View PostIon Cannon!, on 17 May 2012 - 20:39, said:

View PostAlias, on 17 May 2012 - 15:25, said:

I have turned those on, but those are combat only. There doesn't seem to be anywhere which says - Arcane orb does 652-856 damage, or that electrocute does 101-121 for example.
Yes, basically it could very much use a stat screen like in d2 where it showed EVERYTHING like health, defence, chance to hit, damage, mana, stat points, etc. etc. I mean I get items adding to intelligence but I don't know what that does or what it stands for let alone how much I have.

Now of course D2 was perfected over a VERY long period of time so if this follows the same way we'll have to wait ten years for the patch that finally makes everything fall into place but tbh I think we don't need to worry, Blizzard takes care of its products. Still, despite the major disappointment over the lack of a skill tree and the frankly rather arrogant interface that assumes you're either not interested in stat info or too dumb to understand it, I'm still having a blast here :) . I just wonder how long it lasts as replayability seems like it might be an issue :xD: .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 Ion Cannon!

Mountain Maniac

• Gold Member
  • 5812 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 00:17

Hint - click the details tab :P It tells you quite alot, but I would just like a screen which tells me how much damage my abilities actually do, a static DPS number alone isn't good enough.

I've now completed normal difficulty - the game lives up to some expectations, but there are a few things I really dislike.

1. Always online - go figure, my internet is shitty at the moment so this makes playing really fucking annoying, 95% of my deaths were due to lag and there were times I simply couldn't play the lag was so bad.

2. Length - Act 1 is a pretty decent length, however after that the acts get progressively shorter - I blasted through the last act in about 2hrs for example. And this was killing every monster, destroying every vase, exploring every area. The main difference in length between D3 and D2 is that in D2 areas are simply much much bigger. I would have liked the areas in D3 to be 2-3x the size they actually are. Act 3/4 also need lengthening massively.

3. Act bosses - while they are pretty epic fights they're generally a bit easy. The reason is simple, they've changed the way potions work, so fights aren't supposed to feature insane amounts of damage, your pots have a 30sec CD so you're supposed to avoid damage or reduce it, however with the large amounts of abilities its to easy to avoid/reduce the damage being dealt - they also die to fast, the health should be about 2-3x more.

4. Items - I liked random loot in D2, but in D3 it doesn't have the same feel. Instead of RNG being set so that a level 10 item can have stat X 10-20, and a level 20 item can have stat x 20-30 - You know, progression.. the level 20 item can have 1-30. What this means is items are really sort of boring, they look nice, but the lack of cool modifiers, and total randomness of items - even uniques - fucking sucks. In D2 uniques were generally intended to have stats to suit a certain class/spec - because they're now pretty random, this doesn't really happen. Lastly the inflation of stats is to low, hence while you can see your character grow in power, don't expect anything like the insane power inflation you had with D2, not on normal anyway. From what I have seen it does become more crazy in nightmare/hell.

But despite all that, the game is still very enjoyable and I highly recommend it if you have a decent internet connection - the only one I would really really love to change is point 1, I can live with the others.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:54

It just said "server shutting down in 5 minutes". Does that mean what I think it means?
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users