F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#3 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:50

I'll wait and see. It does actually seem pretty decent.

#4 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5845 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:59

Ah balls. If they do what they did to their other free to play games, Battlefield Heroes and Battlefield FtP then I can only guess that means pay for items, which is crap.

This is really annoying D:
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#5 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:00

Sgt. Rho, on 15 August 2012 - 12:50, said:

Lolwut? It looks like it plays like RA3 D8

#6 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:01

I does look pretty decent, that the sad thing. :/
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#7 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:01

GeneralsVille, now on Facebook.

So, how does the F2P part work? You get 1 tank and 1 infantry per faction and have to unlock the rest from the store? Or do you just have to pay for anything you do ingame with real money? 8|

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#8 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:07

CJ, on 15 August 2012 - 13:01, said:

So, how does the F2P part work? You get 1 tank and 1 infantry per faction and have to unlock the rest from the store? Or do you just have to pay for anything you do ingame with real money? 8|
I don't think the CC sell tactic will figure greatly then :xD:

#9 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:12

Wizard, on 15 August 2012 - 13:07, said:

CJ, on 15 August 2012 - 13:01, said:

I don't think the CC sell tactic will figure greatly then :xD:

Well, it could, if you get money for it :P

Also, their sign up for beta page doesn't even work, gives a blank screen, bah!

#10 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:13

Wizard, on 15 August 2012 - 13:00, said:

That's pretty decent then, and it doesn't look that much like RA3. It looks like BF3. RA3 is my 2nd favorite CnC (3rd if you count Renegade) so far, after RA2.

Edited by Sgt. Rho, 15 August 2012 - 13:14.

#11 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:19

If they make the multiplayer free-to-play with no ways to "pay to win" while Singlepayer campaigns and bonus mission challenges are paid content, I would actually love that.

But if it goes F2P like League of Legends where you really do need to buy things with real money to get an advantage? Nope.
Posted Image

#12 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:21

Sgt. Rho, on 15 August 2012 - 13:13, said:

That's pretty decent then, and it doesn't look that much like RA3. It looks like BF3. RA3 is my 2nd favorite CnC (3rd if you count Renegade) so far, after RA2.

Well, RA3 wasn't great compared to Generals imo...
It's pretty obvious they removed the Bulldozer construction from the game just remade Red Alert 3 with Generals units + Frostbite engine.

Scope, on 15 August 2012 - 13:19, said:

If they make the multiplayer free-to-play with no ways to "pay to win" while Singlepayer campaigns and bonus mission challenges are paid content, I would actually love that.

But if it goes F2P like League of Legends where you really do need to buy things with real money to get an advantage? Nope.

Lolwut? Are you drunk? The only thing that you can buy on League to give you an advantage is runes, which are bought with ingame currency that can't be bought with cash. Only thing you can buy with cash is skins and champs if you're lazy.

#13 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:28

CJ, on 15 August 2012 - 13:21, said:

It's pretty obvious they removed the Bulldozer construction from the game just remade Red Alert 3 with Generals units + Frostbite engine.
Rho, you missed the most important part of my statement. Plays. I don't want RA3 with updated General's models. I want a new Generals. You can tell from the vessel locomotors that it's going to play like it. I don't want that. I doubt there are many people that do either! I don't understand why EA think the universes need to cross like this?

#14 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:29

Lolwut? Are you drunk? The only thing that you can buy on League to give you an advantage is runes, which are bought with ingame currency that can't be bought with cash. Only thing you can buy with cash is skins and champs if you're lazy.

You can buy heroes with either IP or RP but if you want to get rune pages AND all the good heroes, you'll HAVE to pay. There are some even more damning examples of Pay2Win games that are generally MMOs (LOTRO comes to mind)

In any case, the scenario I described is somewhat ideal. Free multiplayer where money gives no advantage and paid-content for single player (each campaign is $5 or so). Other paid content could be faction skins or whatnot.
Posted Image

#15 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:36

Wizard, on 15 August 2012 - 13:28, said:

Rho, you missed the most important part of my statement. Plays. I don't want RA3 with updated General's models. I want a new Generals. You can tell from the vessel locomotors that it's going to play like it. I don't want that. I doubt there are many people that do either! I don't understand why EA think the universes need to cross like this?

Oh, I missread...I thought you said "It looks and plays like RA3" >.>

Then I agree, Dozers need to be there.

#16 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:37

The part that weirds me out is the potential mesh of universes I read in an IGN interview. That would be ridiculously unfitting :pnd:
Posted Image

#17 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:39

Ugh, more monochrome Frostbite crap. Just how badly do they want to run this series into the ground? :/

You can bet it will be mediocre. EA do mediocrity very well.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:42

Scope, on 15 August 2012 - 13:29, said:

You can buy heroes with either IP or RP but if you want to get rune pages AND all the good heroes, you'll HAVE to pay. There are some even more damning examples of Pay2Win games that are generally MMOs (LOTRO comes to mind)

In any case, the scenario I described is somewhat ideal. Free multiplayer where money gives no advantage and paid-content for single player (each campaign is $5 or so). Other paid content could be faction skins or whatnot.

It still doesn't make it a pay to win game. You could just buy the most OP champions (which happen to be the cheapest)
I've only spent 120€ on the game, and 80% of it was on skins, yet I do own 80 champions...

Chyros, on 15 August 2012 - 13:39, said:

Ugh, more monochrome Frostbite crap. Just how badly do they want to run this series into the ground? :/

Frostbite is actually the only good thing on that video. It's probably the best game engine right now tbh.

#19 BeefJeRKy

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:44

As a Dota 2 player, I tend to have an anti-LOL bias anyway :P

I've spent about $40 on items in Dota 2. Will probably spend more on the heroes I enjoy.
Posted Image

#20 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 13:46

What's wrong with the Frostbite engine? The only engines on the same level as FB2 right now are the CryEngine 3 and the Unreal Engine 4....

#21 Kaido

The one who screams.

• Member Test
  • 898 posts
  • Projects: Nothin'

Posted 15 August 2012 - 14:12

Thing is though, look at other EA F2P games. In Battlefield P4F you can buy boosts that incrase the damage you do and decrease the damage you take. Same goes down with NFS world. You can buy better cars that what you can get for ingame currency.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 14:13

Sgt. Rho, on 15 August 2012 - 13:46, said:

What's wrong with the Frostbite engine? The only engines on the same level as FB2 right now are the CryEngine 3 and the Unreal Engine 4....
Frostbite games look appalling - there is something wrong with the lighting and especially colouration in all games using it. All FB2 games appear very dusty as well - as if the air were partially opaqueeverywhere - with the dust scattering light everywhere, further exaggerating the intense light overflooding and monochromicity of the games. This trailer shows the same light flooding, dustiness and pallette limitations of all other FB2 games I've seen to date.

I am not sufficiently acquainted with UE4 and CE3 to compare it to those, but older engines like any Quake Engine or Unreal Engine 3 or lower beat FB2 in looks by miles.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 n5p29

Lurker

• Project Leader
  • 1417 posts
  • Projects: NProject Mod, Recolonize, Tidal Wars

Posted 15 August 2012 - 14:23

EA_CIRE said:

Today at gamescom, we announced a bold move for EA and especially for the C&C franchise. I don’t want to go into the typical marketing mode here with you guys. Instead, I want to talk to you as an honest C&C fan.

If you haven’t seen it already, WATCH THE TRAILER! Pretty awesome and yes, that’s how the games looks on max settings right now. But you probably have a billion questions, so instead of simply linking you to the FAQ (oh, I just did), I will answer some questions right here.

There is a reason why this looks like Generals 2. Content we’ve built for Generals 2 isn’t going into the trash – It is marking the initial content for this new Free Command & Conquer game. The way you play won’t change – Start a fully feature loaded desktop client, choose a game mode, play with friends, build bases, gather resources and command massive armies – Just like you are used to from the original Generals. The major difference between Generals 2 and this newly announce Command & Conquer is the amount you have to pay.

You don’t have to pay 60 dollars upfront for a game that you haven’t played before. You can start for free and play for free. Everything is packed into the Frostbite 2 engine, which delivers a never before seen level of visual awesomeness for the C&C franchise. If you like the game, there will be possibilities to support its development with cool customization options that will give you the power to differentiate your army from everybody else on the battlefield.

I know this is something else – Something many of you didn’t expect and most of you probably will instantly counter with “RIP C&C” or “PIEP CENCORED PIEP”. My immediate first thought after hearing this the first time was similar. But after thinking a bit more about it, I realized that this is how games will change in the near future – This is a chance to bring the franchise to players that were always afraid of spending 60 dollars upfront as they didn’t know if they would enjoy an RTS. A chance to create a supported platform for Command & Conquer that will be influenced by how you guys are playing it and what you’re asking for. It is also planed to revisit the Red Alert and Tiberium universe in the future.

This post became much longer than I wanted to, but I care about C&C as much as you do. And that’s what I want to bring across here – It is different, but not from the inside as the core C&C gameplay is there – It is different from the outside which we can use for our advantage, creating a fresh new start for the franchise to new audiences as well.

In full honesty
EA_CIRE
just quoting the boss from the official forum.

so... what I got is, it seems this "Command & Conquer" is more like the core game which includes Generals 2 as its first package, while the upcoming DLCs/Updates might include the other C&C universes as well. is this means they want to make allstars game?

#24 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 14:27

Vomit.

Looks dull. Looks like it plays dull. Play for free is just the final nail in the coffin.

Posted Image

#25 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 14:28

n5p29, on 15 August 2012 - 14:23, said:

EA_CIRE said:

Today at gamescom, we announced a bold move for EA and especially for the C&C franchise. I don’t want to go into the typical marketing mode here with you guys. Instead, I want to talk to you as an honest C&C fan.

If you haven’t seen it already, WATCH THE TRAILER! Pretty awesome and yes, that’s how the games looks on max settings right now. But you probably have a billion questions, so instead of simply linking you to the FAQ (oh, I just did), I will answer some questions right here.

There is a reason why this looks like Generals 2. Content we’ve built for Generals 2 isn’t going into the trash – It is marking the initial content for this new Free Command & Conquer game. The way you play won’t change – Start a fully feature loaded desktop client, choose a game mode, play with friends, build bases, gather resources and command massive armies – Just like you are used to from the original Generals. The major difference between Generals 2 and this newly announce Command & Conquer is the amount you have to pay.

You don’t have to pay 60 dollars upfront for a game that you haven’t played before. You can start for free and play for free. Everything is packed into the Frostbite 2 engine, which delivers a never before seen level of visual awesomeness for the C&C franchise. If you like the game, there will be possibilities to support its development with cool customization options that will give you the power to differentiate your army from everybody else on the battlefield.

I know this is something else – Something many of you didn’t expect and most of you probably will instantly counter with “RIP C&C” or “PIEP CENCORED PIEP”. My immediate first thought after hearing this the first time was similar. But after thinking a bit more about it, I realized that this is how games will change in the near future – This is a chance to bring the franchise to players that were always afraid of spending 60 dollars upfront as they didn’t know if they would enjoy an RTS. A chance to create a supported platform for Command & Conquer that will be influenced by how you guys are playing it and what you’re asking for. It is also planed to revisit the Red Alert and Tiberium universe in the future.

This post became much longer than I wanted to, but I care about C&C as much as you do. And that’s what I want to bring across here – It is different, but not from the inside as the core C&C gameplay is there – It is different from the outside which we can use for our advantage, creating a fresh new start for the franchise to new audiences as well.

In full honesty
EA_CIRE
just quoting the boss from the official forum.

so... what I got is, it seems this "Command & Conquer" is more like the core game which includes Generals 2 as its first package, while the upcoming DLCs/Updates might include the other C&C universes as well. is this means they want to make allstars game?

What I got from that is..... "we're afraid that no one who buys computer games was born when the franchise was created, so we're going to dumb it down to such stupidly low levels, that it comes with a Farley's Rusk, dummy and a bottle of "No More Tears" baby shampoo".

Fuck this. I officially give up on computer games. >:(

Edited by Wizard, 15 August 2012 - 14:29.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users