Yes :P

7 replies to this topic

#1 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 17:23

I currently have 9500gt...
About the price limit, I currently can afford Nvidia GTX650 or slightly higher kind of card, you dem guys lucky, prices are 2x worse here :/

So my PC's momboard is this:
http://uk.gigabyte.c...spx?pid=3269#ov

Thing is I don't have a clue what I can put up in this thing :s

And about the CPU, I have Core2Duo E7500 runs at 2.93, if I mate this with a moderate graphic card, should it get a good result ? Of course I know I can't play new generation games with ultra settings but I don't want to get lag on high settings or on most places atleast :/

#2 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:37

I can't really tell you which model you should get, but for your price range, I'll just say that you might want to look for AMD graphic cards, because they tend to be much cheaper than nVidia...

Other than that, most GPUs aren't limited by the Mobo, because they often use the PCI-Express16 socket which is available on the majority of Mobos. (including yours, obviously)
And concerning lag, my AMD HD6870 lags on AC3 set on medium settings and a 1600*900 resolution, so I wouldn't get my hopes high if I were concerning what the regular GTX650 can achieve D:

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#3 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:14

CJ, on 23 November 2012 - 20:37, said:

I can't really tell you which model you should get, but for your price range, I'll just say that you might want to look for AMD graphic cards, because they tend to be much cheaper than nVidia...

Other than that, most GPUs aren't limited by the Mobo, because they often use the PCI-Express16 socket which is available on the majority of Mobos. (including yours, obviously)
And concerning lag, my AMD HD6870 lags on AC3 set on medium settings and a 1600*900 resolution, so I wouldn't get my hopes high if I were concerning what the regular GTX650 can achieve D:

I were using Nvidia for a long time, don't know about AMD thing but I get my mind on AMD HD 7850 thing, it looks good, any of you guys here used it ?

Almost all of us here has same kind of games and thus why I want to hear your opinions on that matter :)

#4 CJ

Rocket soldier

• Member Test
  • 2150 posts
  • Projects: Nothing yet

Posted 25 November 2012 - 15:35

Eh wait, actually, disregard what I said, I just realized now while searching for various benchmarks that you were actually talking about the GTX650, while I replied thinking it was the GTX560 you were talking about, sorry about that D:
The GTX650 is actually a very good card, that's not overpriced compared to it's AMD equivalent (and is also better than the AMD HD7850 and HD7870)
Btw, I do not recommend getting an xx50 if you can afford the xx70 when it comes to AMD cards D:

View PostChyros, on 11 November 2013 - 18:21, said:

I bet I could program an internet

#5 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 16:27

CJ, on 25 November 2012 - 15:35, said:

Eh wait, actually, disregard what I said, I just realized now while searching for various benchmarks that you were actually talking about the GTX650, while I replied thinking it was the GTX560 you were talking about, sorry about that D:
The GTX650 is actually a very good card, that's not overpriced compared to it's AMD equivalent (and is also better than the AMD HD7850 and HD7870)
Btw, I do not recommend getting an xx50 if you can afford the xx70 when it comes to AMD cards D:

Wow so it is better than HD7850 yet almost half price here, whats wrong with these marketers D:

#6 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:10

The issue with the motherboard you have right now is that the PCI-e interface (along with everything else) it has is rather dated. If you were to buy a new GPU now, you will need to buy one again once you upgrade your CPU (which, judging by the CPU you have right now, will be soon as well). The new PCI-e 2.x 16x interface on your new motherboard will most likely not work with the old GPU.

Your motherboard is always linked to what CPU socket it has (In your case, a socket with 775 pins). The CPU socket on your motherboard has almost been phased out as well, with Intel actually pulling the plug on many socket 775 model processors. Finding a suitable upgrade for that will also be a pain.

My best advice would be to save up your money and hold off until you can spend it all on a computer with a newer motherboard, a decent CPU and a decent GPU (together with at least 8GB of DDR3 RAM)
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#7 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:48

Amdrial, on 25 November 2012 - 17:10, said:

The issue with the motherboard you have right now is that the PCI-e interface (along with everything else) it has is rather dated. If you were to buy a new GPU now, you will need to buy one again once you upgrade your CPU (which, judging by the CPU you have right now, will be soon as well). The new PCI-e 2.x 16x interface on your new motherboard will most likely not work with the old GPU.

Your motherboard is always linked to what CPU socket it has (In your case, a socket with 775 pins). The CPU socket on your motherboard has almost been phased out as well, with Intel actually pulling the plug on many socket 775 model processors. Finding a suitable upgrade for that will also be a pain.

My best advice would be to save up your money and hold off until you can spend it all on a computer with a newer motherboard, a decent CPU and a decent GPU (together with at least 8GB of DDR3 RAM)

I've come across two websites which talking about PCI Express compatibility thing and I am confused, one says its not possible to insert a PCI 3.0 video card into PCI 2.0 while other says they are backward compatible, which one the fuck should I trust :/

And Amdrial, I will get a Quad ( or the highest possible one my momboard supports ) together with a memory upgrade in a month or two, I want to start with graphic card just to see if it is indeed alone changes the things around in games :)

#8 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:33

Thanks for the advices, I got the GT640 and happy with it :) This thread served its purpose I think :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users