←  General Discussion and Introductions

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Do you smoke?

Poll: Smoking (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you smoke?

1. yes (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

2. no (20 votes [86.96%])

Percentage of vote: 86.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Chyros's Photo Chyros 21 Mar 2012

I was thinking that it seemed like we had comparatively few smokers on FS, though I'm not sure what I based this thought on. So there you go, do you smoke or not? And if so, what?

Wizard's Photo Wizard 21 Mar 2012

Officially "no". However, I get drunk a lot and it becomes almost impossible to resist, but never when sober.

I smoked for nearly 10 years and quit 3-4 years ago. Was one of the hardest things I did, although looking back I can't work out why.

Have always been a Marlborough man (minus the hat). Started on Reds, then realised I wouldn't last till I was 20, so switched to Lights. Occasional Lucky Strike fan. Camel Lights also worked at a pinch, but those stupid perforated butts were annoying.

Alias's Photo Alias 21 Mar 2012

Don't like tobacco. My aunt and uncle were very heavy smokers so the second hand smoke I got was enough to be put off tobacco.

The only thing I smoke is I very occasionally share a spliff with pleasant company.

Major Fuckup's Photo Major Fuckup 21 Mar 2012

Alias, on 21 March 2012 - 10:25, said:

Don't like tobacco. My aunt and uncle were very heavy smokers so the second hand smoke I got was enough to be put off tobacco.

The only thing I smoke is I very occasionally share a spliff with pleasant company.

Spliff as in a bikkie A.K.A pot?
I some times have a cigar due to them being so expensive and mostly at social occasions.

Camille's Photo Camille 21 Mar 2012

pretty much exactly the same situation, though in this case the heavy smoker was my mother.

i seriously still can't grasp how anyone can smoke for their own enjoyment, the taste, odour and feeling in your throat and lungs is disgusting and mildly painful. ah well, maybe better not to understand.

for some reason that's much more bearable, and at least there's a direct, enjoyable result. imo.

CJ's Photo CJ 21 Mar 2012

Camille, on 21 March 2012 - 12:22, said:

pretty much exactly the same situation, though in this case the heavy smoker was my mother.

i seriously still can't grasp how anyone can smoke for their own enjoyment, the taste, odour and feeling in your throat and lungs is disgusting and mildly painful. ah well, maybe better not to understand.

Same for me, except I didn't have any heavy smoker in the family. My father did smoke when I was younger, but since I was always telling him not to smoke next to me when I was 4, he ended up stopping it altogether :P

Alias's Photo Alias 21 Mar 2012

Major Fuckup, on 21 March 2012 - 11:50, said:

Spliff as in a bikkie A.K.A pot?
I some times have a cigar due to them being so expensive and mostly at social occasions.
Yes, it's not that hard to get weed in Australia. Not that dear either.

The only tobacco consumption which made sense to me was my grandfather, he used a pipe maybe once or twice a week for 50 or so years. None of this pack a day rubbish most smokers are these days.

for some reason that's much more bearable, and at least there's a direct, enjoyable result. imo.
Yeah definitely, plus there's the social aspect as well. It doesn't take much for you to get enjoyment from a toke, so you smoke less (in a group setting, at least).

I couldn't be bothered smoking by myself, I've got booze for that. 8|

Major Fuckup's Photo Major Fuckup 21 Mar 2012

CJ, on 21 March 2012 - 12:27, said:

Same for me, except I didn't have any heavy smoker in the family. My father did smoke when I was younger, but since I was always telling him not to smoke next to me when I was 4, he ended up stopping it altogether :P

Woulda been good if some one did that for my granddad, He's on oxygen bottles till he dies, Which looks to be in the not to distant future.

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 21 Mar 2012

No, and I don't ever plan to, I hate every aspect of it.

That said I have smoked weed before a couple of times, that wasn't so bad, but its not something I would ever do much.
Edited by Ion Cannon!, 21 March 2012 - 13:06.

Libains's Photo Libains 21 Mar 2012

No. Filthy habit, and cannot get my head around the idea. Plus, doesn't mix well with the diabetes.

AJ, on 21 March 2012 - 14:31, said:

Plus, doesn't mix well with the diabetes.
That's a bit rich coming from a man who has more "pens" on him when he goes out on the piss than Dilbert :xD:

Raven's Photo Raven 21 Mar 2012

Never smoked in my life so far....

Libains's Photo Libains 21 Mar 2012

Wizard, on 21 March 2012 - 15:07, said:

That's a bit rich coming from a man who has more "pens" on him when he goes out on the piss than Dilbert :xD:

Hah, what are you implying? |8

AJ, on 21 March 2012 - 15:50, said:

That nothing mixes well with diabetes, including stuff that needs a mixer ;P

I myself don't smoke either; this is not a particularly surprising stance for a chemist of course but I've also had my share as a child with my father and grandpa smoked cigars all the time in front of me.

Slightly Wonky Robob's Photo Slightly Wonky Robob 21 Mar 2012

Ion Cannon!, on 21 March 2012 - 13:03, said:

No, and I don't ever plan to, I hate every aspect of it.

No. Filthy habit, and cannot get my head around the idea.

Sums it up for me.

General's Photo General 21 Mar 2012

BIG NO. And I don't hesitate to warn people harshly when they smoke near me. I tell them gtfo if they are in my place 8|
I don't care if they smoke weed though, atleast it has a greater purpose :P

TheDR's Photo TheDR 21 Mar 2012

I don't smoke and never will, it just seems like a pointless waste of life and money.

TheDR, on 21 March 2012 - 18:46, said:

it just seems like a pointless waste of life
There's another point, yeah - I can't afford to lose even more of my life with all the chemicals I handle :xD: .

ΓΛPTΘΓ's Photo ΓΛPTΘΓ 21 Mar 2012

Totally hate smoke. I can't stand it at all. >:

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 21 Mar 2012

Interesting observation I have made. My friends at home who are generally more working class either smoke/smoked or smoke when alcohol is involved. None of my university friends touch the stuff, and they're generally more middle class.

Major Fuckup's Photo Major Fuckup 22 Mar 2012

Ion Cannon!, on 21 March 2012 - 19:45, said:

Interesting observation I have made. My friends at home who are generally more working class either smoke/smoked or smoke when alcohol is involved. None of my university friends touch the stuff, and they're generally more middle class.

Thats cause the working class work their fucking arses off and suffer more stress mental and physical than the rich cunts above us!
In my work place its only me and the boss who don't smoke.

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 22 Mar 2012

Major Fuckup, on 22 March 2012 - 10:47, said:

Thats cause the working class work their fucking arses off and suffer more stress mental and physical than the rich cunts above us!

Thats a rather narrow view to take on things, did it never cross your mind that alot of the "richer" people earned it? Sure, some didn't. But likewise theres alot of unemployed benefit scroungers who smoke. They're certainly not suffering mental/physical stress.

Major Fuckup's Photo Major Fuckup 22 Mar 2012

Ion Cannon!, on 22 March 2012 - 11:10, said:

Major Fuckup, on 22 March 2012 - 10:47, said:

Thats a rather narrow view to take on things, did it never cross your mind that alot of the "richer" people earned it? Sure, some didn't. But likewise theres alot of unemployed benefit scroungers who smoke. They're certainly not suffering mental/physical stress.

Earned it as in having rich parents who put them into good school/college where they get all the attention, help they can get to become accredited on what they want because they have the wealth to pissfart around perusing hobby's and other interests and not having any bills to worry about, no need to budget or stress out about paying rent. They don't sit awake at night uncertain about their future because his or hers parents can bail them out. Ion do you know what it feels like to be unemployed? Only getting enough money from the government to keep the lights on and the water running?
I spent a year unemployed, waking up late every day and jumping straight on the booze to deal with depression, depression caused by flood of emails from potential employers every day saying they require some one with experience or simply lying that the position is filled. Do you know how that shit feels? To sit infront of a computer all day slamming resumes away with no result, you feel like the biggest worthless piece of shit. I can see how the weaker minded people living in some dank suburb can turn into smoking, drinking and drugs to escape or slightly alter reality and their emotion even if its short lasted.

Libains's Photo Libains 22 Mar 2012

Wizard, on 21 March 2012 - 16:47, said:

AJ, on 21 March 2012 - 15:50, said:

That nothing mixes well with diabetes, including stuff that needs a mixer ;P

Heh, not drinking alcohol is an impossibility as a student, but I can get away with no smoking 8D