←  Gaming

Fallout Studios Forums

»

TF2 server fine-tuning

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 20 Oct 2009

Now that we've been running the TF2 server for a while and had plenty of games, we've had a look at the good and bad points of the current setup. We found that arena maps were a common source of annoyance, so some of them have been removed from the map list. I have added nominations, so that any player can nominate a map for the next vote. It can be used by typing 'nominate' in the chat.

If any further changes would be appreciated, let us know.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 20 Oct 2009

Can you add the Add time function and a Autobalance plugin please :D

I can't think of anything else that would benefit the server at the moment.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 20 Oct 2009

Got a link to those plugins? What do they do?

Libains's Photo Libains 20 Oct 2009

Teamscramble would come in handy I imagine.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 21 Oct 2009

Høbbesy, on 21 Oct 2009, 0:24, said:

https://forums.allie...ead.php?t=98651 - You already know what this is. :D

I really don't want that added in, its just not needed. We'd end up just bloating the server.

They seem good.

CJ's Photo CJ 21 Oct 2009

That AFK manager could result in having too many players kicked if they have a lag spike which lasts more than 10 seconds, and that would really be annoying...

Warbz's Photo Warbz 21 Oct 2009

Nikola Tesla, on 21 Oct 2009, 13:42, said:

That AFK manager could result in having too many players kicked if they have a lag spike which lasts more than 10 seconds, and that would really be annoying...

As I understand it, it only checks every 10 seconds. I assume if it checks 3 times (Or any other number of times as defined by an Admin) and you still haven't moved then it will kick you.

Destiny's Photo Destiny 21 Oct 2009

Seems very unfitting if you're a sniper.

W!, on 21 Oct 2009, 13:51, said:

Nikola Tesla, on 21 Oct 2009, 13:42, said:

As I understand it, it only checks every 10 seconds. I assume if it checks 3 times (Or any other number of times as defined by an Admin) and you still haven't moved then it will kick you.

Destiny, on 21 Oct 2009, 13:54, said:

Seems very unfitting if you're a sniper.

"- Adjusted the code to check the clients eye position to verify AFK so that Snipers / Campers don't get kicked for not moving."

You have to be really really still to be kicked :D

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 21 Oct 2009

I don't think it's needed, the game's built-in AFK kicking mechanism works fine.

Well, just the team balance/scramble thing then. Sometimes we could do with it when the teams are unbalanced.

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 21 Oct 2009

CodeCat, on 20 Oct 2009, 18:03, said:

We found that arena maps were a common source of annoyance, so some of them have been removed from the map list.

How are arena maps annoying? Naturally some people are just not going to like playing that game mode, but some of us happen to enjoy arena mode. And I realize you only took out some of the maps, but can you list the arena maps still on the list?

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 21 Oct 2009

Ravine.

Ghostrider, on 21 Oct 2009, 20:27, said:

We found that arena maps were a common source of annoyance, so some of them have been removed from the map list.

How are arena maps annoying? Naturally some people are just not going to like playing that game mode, but some of us happen to enjoy arena mode. And I realize you only took out some of the maps, but can you list the arena maps still on the list?

I can still change it to arena or any other map if we get enough demand for it in the server. Arena is disliked by lots of people because you have to wait a while to re-spawn. I agree with the decision to remove it even though i am a big fan of arena i realize it does slow down the overall pace of the game.

Brad's Photo Brad 21 Oct 2009

I still think that the only immediate change needed to the server is the ability to request a scramble of the teams, as somtimes it becomes stacked and the other team would find it frustrating, I know.

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 21 Oct 2009

TheDR, on 21 Oct 2009, 16:00, said:

Ghostrider, on 21 Oct 2009, 20:27, said:

I can still change it to arena or any other map if we get enough demand for it in the server. Arena is disliked by lots of people because you have to wait a while to re-spawn. I agree with the decision to remove it even though i am a big fan of arena i realize it does slow down the overall pace of the game.

Ah ok, that's reasonable. Majority should win anyways.

Amdrial's Photo Amdrial 21 Oct 2009

I've mentioned this plugin a while ago, and I will do so again in this thread.

https://forums.allie...ead.php?t=96634

This plugin basically enables moderators and administrators to start a melee-only round. A round in which the only weapons allowed are melee weapons (Eg. Fire Axes, the KGB, or the Spy's Butterflyknife).

Amdrial, on 21 Oct 2009, 22:32, said:

This plugin basically enables moderators and administrators to start a melee-only round. A round in which the only weapons allowed are melee weapons (Eg. Fire Axes, the KGB, or the Spy's Butterflyknife).

I have to agree with that, it would be really fun to have that plugin!

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 21 Oct 2009

TheDR, on 21 Oct 2009, 22:39, said:

But that means when I get ineveitably bored of melee, I can't set you on fire :(

Ion Cannon!, on 21 Oct 2009, 22:49, said:

But that means when I get ineveitably bored of melee, I can't set you on fire :(

You haven't played TF2 in months :D

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 21 Oct 2009

TheDR, on 21 Oct 2009, 22:54, said:

Ion Cannon!, on 21 Oct 2009, 22:49, said:

You haven't played TF2 in months :D

About a month, uni is keeping me busy.

MR.Kim's Photo MR.Kim 22 Oct 2009

Can we add fast respwan mode? I'm mean, most severs use this mode.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 22 Oct 2009

Definite no from me, fast respawn ruins the game.