←  Tutorials

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Tutorial Requests

Lord Atlantis's Photo Lord Atlantis 13 May 2007

If you need a tutorial, please request it here.

-Lord_Atlantis

Strategia's Photo Strategia 27 Sep 2007

I humbly request a map.ini tutorial. Nowhere have I managed to find one, and a thread I made some time ago about a specific issue died out with no result, so now I would finally like to know HOW THE HECK IT WORKS.
Specifically, I want to;
-try and make wrecks stay as per this post;
-mess about with commandbuttons (e.g. factory production buttons);
-modify the Generals' Powers for a specific faction (e.g. remove the Aurora and FAB, add Ca$h Bounty, replace the Paradrop with another power, have one power unlock multiple vehicles (if possible) AND give veterancy to units (if possible));
-change description text (e.g. add text for the UN Soldier, modify text on other buttons etc.);
-if possible, add cameos (again, UN Soldier; add a cameo (preferably a separate pic, but an existing one will do), some civvy buildings);
-if possible, adding construction times and costs to some buildings and units (civvy bunker, tank trap, UN Soldier, UN Humvee);
-merge upgrades (e.g. ability x is unlocked by tech x, ability y by tech y; change it so both are unlocked by tech x);

Primarily, I'd like to know what code from the .inis to put in map.ini and how.
Edited by Strategia, 27 September 2007 - 20:13.

Kyouko's Photo Kyouko 18 Dec 2007

I would like to request a tut on SPAWNING multiple teams and getting them to work via Teambuilder. (FYI, Ive already looked at RVMECHS tut) Thanks in advance.

I would like to request a tut on SPAWNING multiple teams and getting them to work via Teambuilder. (FYI, Ive already looked at RVMECHS tut) Thanks in advance.

Edit: Curse that flood control

Edit 2: Forget it. I created a uberlaggy way of doing it
Edited by Iron_Golem, 13 March 2008 - 05:05.

Amdrial's Photo Amdrial 18 Dec 2007

View PostStrategia, on 27 Sep 2007, 1:34, said:

I humbly request a map.ini tutorial. Nowhere have I managed to find one, and a thread I made some time ago about a specific issue died out with no result, so now I would finally like to know HOW THE HECK IT WORKS.
Specifically, I want to;
-try and make wrecks stay as per this post;
-mess about with commandbuttons (e.g. factory production buttons);
-modify the Generals' Powers for a specific faction (e.g. remove the Aurora and FAB, add Ca$h Bounty, replace the Paradrop with another power, have one power unlock multiple vehicles (if possible) AND give veterancy to units (if possible));
-change description text (e.g. add text for the UN Soldier, modify text on other buttons etc.);
-if possible, add cameos (again, UN Soldier; add a cameo (preferably a separate pic, but an existing one will do), some civvy buildings);
-if possible, adding construction times and costs to some buildings and units (civvy bunker, tank trap, UN Soldier, UN Humvee);
-merge upgrades (e.g. ability x is unlocked by tech x, ability y by tech y; change it so both are unlocked by tech x);

Primarily, I'd like to know what code from the .inis to put in map.ini and how.

The best way to use map.ini's is to just download an existing one for a unit/thing and to alter it.

Umbrella Secrets's Photo Umbrella Secrets 09 Mar 2008

Map.ini tutorial, on how to edit things on the map.

JJ's Photo JJ 10 Mar 2008

Map.ini editing is basically coding. To learn how to do map.ini, you learn how to code.

Crazykenny's Photo Crazykenny 10 Mar 2008

Actually coding and using map.ini's are quite different. The problem is, only a handfull of people know how to use them. The only one in my team currently is Nipthecat, so I think you'll just have to wait and see if he wants to make one :P

nip's Photo nip 11 Mar 2008

Sorry but I do have basic knowledge of ini stuff only, this tut would be a disappointment. To get an idea of what is possible with map.ini editing, search for maps and missions made by Beng. He's an excellent coder, does a lot with map.ini's and releases his stuff on CNCDEN, filefront or CnCMaps.

And check Modding Tutorials, ppmsite, GenDev and CnCMaps.
Edited by nipthecat, 11 March 2008 - 03:37.

=Hawkeye='s Photo =Hawkeye= 11 Mar 2008

Just one more thing. If you are planning to put the ini file with a multiplayer map you
may get mismatch errors during online play. So ini files are for single player maps.

Umbrella Secrets's Photo Umbrella Secrets 11 Mar 2008

View Postnipthecat, on 10 Mar 2008, 22:04, said:

Sorry but I do have basic knowledge of ini stuff only, this tut would be a disappointment. To get an idea of what is possible with map.ini editing, search for maps and missions made by Beng. He's an excellent coder, does a lot with map.ini's and releases his stuff on CNCDEN, filefront or CnCMaps.

And check Modding Tutorials, ppmsite, GenDev and CnCMaps.

Beng is an excellent coder, I have all his missions. I just don't understand how he does it?

Crazykenny's Photo Crazykenny 11 Mar 2008

Lots and lots of patience. Trial and error my friend, its the only way to do it.

The Shell's Photo The Shell 26 Apr 2008

How about a singleplayer trigger tutorial explaining diferent things about scripts, answering such questions as:
  • What exactly ARE subroutine scripts?
  • Why scripts have to have certain [S A D] flag combinations?

etc.

This is something I feel VERY strongly needs a clear and detailed explaination. Remember, good tutorials explain why you have to do certain things in its procedure.

nip's Photo nip 27 Apr 2008

View Posthl_world, on 26 Apr 2008, 23:21, said:

How about a singleplayer trigger tutorial explaining diferent things about scripts, answering such questions as:
  • What exactly ARE subroutine scripts?
  • Why scripts have to have certain [S A D] flag combinations?

etc.

This is something I feel VERY strongly needs a clear and detailed explaination. Remember, good tutorials explain why you have to do certain things in its procedure.

EA's official WB manual (right click and 'save target as...').

Genrail's Photo Genrail 11 Nov 2009

how about one on object lists like... gitting the USA dozer to build only certen things and not have little gray squars on what it cant build... hint hint 8| !