←  Political Area

Fallout Studios Forums

»

The US Presidential Elections 2008

This topic is locked

Wizard's Photo Wizard 04 Nov 2008

With the US Presidential Elections starting on the 4th November 2008, so within 24 hours, it would appear that Barrack Obama is leading in the latest opinion polls, with McCain trailing in several key swing states, including previous Republican states such as Florida, Pennsylvania and Nevada. Turnout for the elections is expected to reach a record high since 1960, of roughly 130 million Americans, after almost 18 months of campaigning by both parties. The massive turnout this year has been seen as a result of the campaigning by both parties, but also because of Americans turning out to vote for people that they do not wish to see holding power, such as people turning out in huge numbers in Wyoming to vote against Obama, whereas other Americans have turned out to vote against McCain because of his choice as Sarah Palin as a running mate, who people see as a radical, and being a destabilising factor within the party, due to her 'bulldog approach'. As it stands, Obama holds the lead over McCain, with a 6-11% deficit coming into the final day of the elections. Along the campaign trail there have certainly been enough moments to make it one of the most memorable elections in living memory, such as the choice of Sarah Palin as McCain's running mate, who when asked about international experience talked of looking across the Bering Strait and seeing Russians on the far shore. Other moments include the aforementioned Palin being portrayed on Saturday Night Live by Tina Fey, provoking laughter and outrage across the United States, or Obama spending roughly $6 million on a 30 minute advertisement on October 29th, even delaying a World Series game to allow for the advert to be shown. As the day of judgment draws near, the candidates are spending the last day of the campaign jetting between key swing states in an attempt to obtain the last few vital votes that could swing the states to their party.

Where do you feel that the vote of the American people lies? Who would you like to see win the election, and how, if any, would you see an impact in your country, whether it be the US or abroad.?

Dr. Strangelove's Photo Dr. Strangelove 04 Nov 2008

Barrack Hussein Obama has better odds, but he is not a shoe-in. I would have supported Ron Paul, but he lost the primary. Now, I would much rather have Bob Barr than McCain, but only McCain has a snowball's chance in hell whereas Barr doesn't.

EDIT: How many of you guys have voted already?, mail-in ballot for me
Edited by Dr. Strangelove, 04 November 2008 - 09:09.

Alias's Photo Alias 04 Nov 2008

If I was an American, I wouldn't vote two-party. I would vote Nader, as his policies and views line up to mine the best out of any of the candidates.
Edited by Alias, 04 November 2008 - 09:10.

Dutchygamer's Photo Dutchygamer 04 Nov 2008

I prefer Obama above McCain, and I hope it ends soon, because here in Holland you're nearly bombarded to death with news about this, for several months >_>
Anyways, even though I don't think it will happen, my fear is that if Obama wins, you get something similar to Martin Luther King (aka shot to death), and I don't want to know the results of that.

Warbz's Photo Warbz 04 Nov 2008

Voted should be limited to those with an extensive knowledge of the political system which is why I will not vote when it comes around to the UK (Unless of course I happen to find some time to look into the details). I feel an ill-informed vote is worse than no vote.

Dauth's Photo Dauth 04 Nov 2008

After 18 months of campaigning I am now of the attitude, just make your sodding mind up America. Frankly after the Bush/Blair premiership, I see the UK moving away from the US over the next few years anyway, so this matters less than it did four years ago.

View PostEpicWarbz, on 4 Nov 2008, 11:09, said:

Voted should be limited to those with an extensive knowledge of the political system which is why I will not vote when it comes around to the UK (Unless of course I happen to find some time to look into the details). I feel an ill-informed vote is worse than no vote.

The whole point of modern European democracy is that anyone, no matter how useless, stupid or otherwise irritating have a vote and a say. I don't look at my local candidates, I just try to hurt Labour with my vote. All you need to do is make a decision.

Jok3r's Photo Jok3r 04 Nov 2008

Obama, Obama, Obama. Honestly, I just can't stand Palin- what with her "Drill Baby Drill" and her exclusive support for teaching creationism. Oh, that and her little thing about foreign policy experience. I'm not huge on either candidate, but imo, this nation is going to be in the trash if its McCain.
Swimmer

Warbz's Photo Warbz 04 Nov 2008

IIRC correctly, Obama wanted seperation of church and state?

Mortecha's Photo Mortecha 04 Nov 2008

Obama all the way. He represents the most stability of the 2 candidates. Only time will tell however.

I would actually suggest that McCain would present the stability. From an outsiders perspective he seems to follow closely the doctrine of the Republicans and Bush so therefore little would seemingly change, foreign policy, taxation etc. It's Obama that will mix it up, allegedly.
Edited by Wizard, 04 November 2008 - 16:43.

Jok3r's Photo Jok3r 04 Nov 2008

Not that mixing it up is such a bad thing at this point...

Absolutley agree. It is arguable that the 2 terms have caused recent issues, although it could infact be the personality. That is open for debate and another topic.

Change should be embraced in most circumstances and politics is an area that receives it too infrequently.

markintellect's Photo markintellect 04 Nov 2008

View PostWizard, on 4 Nov 2008, 9:00, said:

Barrack Obama

*Barack

Blame AJ it was his PM the text came from. I'm not a spell checker.

Libains's Photo Libains 04 Nov 2008

Beg me one typo in the whole thing :)

Shirou's Photo Shirou 04 Nov 2008

McCain definitely has lost it for me and it wasn't his own fault, it is that of President Bush. Having him leave his country to crumble into decadence for eight years to spend 10 billion a month on an idealist war on terrorism, one some of them now admit that they just can't win, may be a one sided view, but the thing that I really discredit him for is not signing the Kyoto Protocol and last year blocking off things at the climate conference, leading to a useless treaty. And the fact that he won because of the little maimed system in the USA that let's Bush win while in the entire united states.. he had less votes.

No way I would vote for a republican party member. Democrats all the way.
Edited by Aftershock, 04 November 2008 - 18:26.

Chyros's Photo Chyros 04 Nov 2008

View PostAftershock, on 4 Nov 2008, 20:25, said:

No way I would vote for a republican party member. Democrats all the way.
Quoted for agreement, but McCain is for a republican actually a politician with relatively moderate views. Still, I'd rather have Obama win, if only because he's black. I think it would do the USA good to have (had) a black president. Of course, I also agree with his views more than with McCain's.

Even quite left-wing US democrats are more right-wing than our most right-wing parties, though.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 04 Nov 2008

I believe that Barack Obama represents the better choice for president if only because of McCain's plan to cut taxes even further. Normally in a financial crisis this would make sense but not when you have an eight figure deficit in your government budget. There's also the fact that McCain is 72 years old and has a history of heart issues and that would open up the white house to Sarah Palin. No I definitely agree that Obama is the better choice for president this year.

Dr. Strangelove's Photo Dr. Strangelove 05 Nov 2008

Looks like I'm the only Republican/Libertarian here.

Soul's Photo Soul 05 Nov 2008

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 4 Nov 2008, 4:06, said:

Barrack Hussein Obama

Why must people keep saying stuff like that >_>.
Edited by Soul, 05 November 2008 - 04:26.

Soul's Photo Soul 05 Nov 2008

Ok, he won. Now what?

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 05 Nov 2008

Common sense prevailed, McCain's concession speech was very good though. Alot of people on the BBC talked of that as the old McCain, who had got lost in the past year. You don't see british politicians congratulating each other when their opponent wins :)

Chyros's Photo Chyros 05 Nov 2008

View PostSoul, on 5 Nov 2008, 2:46, said:

View PostDr. Strangelove, on 4 Nov 2008, 4:06, said:

Barrack Hussein Obama

Why must people keep saying stuff like that >_>.
...Because that's his name, for one thing?

Alias's Photo Alias 05 Nov 2008

I've never seen anyone say "John Sidney McCain, the third" before...
This topic is locked