←  Science

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Question on Evolution

This topic is locked

Dauth's Photo Dauth 04 Mar 2009

When did the knee swap direction and give humans our upright walk? What was the method for the knee moving?

Destiny's Photo Destiny 04 Mar 2009

Wikipedia, gooegl! Too bad we don't have a historian here, hehe. Perhaps the wiki articles on Human evolution, Bipedalism or Human skeleton changes due to bipedalism might help.

TheDR's Photo TheDR 04 Mar 2009

We do have a historian on the forum :P

I'm guessing around the same time our feet-hands became feet and our brains expanded.

Destiny's Photo Destiny 04 Mar 2009

Humans gained bipedalism _before_ they...or we, started using stones, tools and such.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 04 Mar 2009

I believe it has to do with the ecolution if certain mammals that adpated to climbing trees where the backwards facing knee was a disadvantage. The stance likely became more upright as this species then moved to the plains of Africa where the earliest human ancestors are speculated to have arisen.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 04 Mar 2009

The knee never swapped direction. All land vertebrates have knees like ours, that bend backwards.

WNxMastrefubu's Photo WNxMastrefubu 04 Mar 2009

View PostCodeCat, on 4 Mar 2009, 17:16, said:

The knee never swapped direction. All land vertebrates have knees like ours, that bend backwards.

^ waht he said

NergiZed's Photo NergiZed 04 Mar 2009

Codecat has spoken, the truth has been heard.

Ja, I think pretty much most if not all the land animals now and all the way back to the tetrapods from the Carboniferous period had legs that bent back and not foward. Though I'm no expert.

I'm not sure why one would think our ancestor's knees bent backwards (here is a pic of a Chimpanzee skeleton). Perhaps there's a misunderstanding, did you mean something else?

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 05 Mar 2009

View PostCodeCat, on 4 Mar 2009, 17:16, said:

By backward facing knees i meant those that bend forward.

Destiny's Photo Destiny 05 Mar 2009

Knees...bending...kneecaps...forward...backwards...bah.

Squatting down = Knees bending "going" forward.

Kneecap = "Butt"

Use for Butt = Allow sitting

Transliteration = Knees bend forward because the kneecaps think they're butts and must touch the ground, or something like that 8D

Also, 404 Error ftw.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 05 Mar 2009

View PostScope, on 5 Mar 2009, 4:43, said:

By backward facing knees i meant those that bend forward.

Knees like that don't exist in any Earth land vertebrates.

Dauth's Photo Dauth 05 Mar 2009

Nevermind, my brain was in neutral, please ignore this.

8D
This topic is locked