←  Role Playing Games

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Fallout Plotholes.

AllStarZ's Photo AllStarZ 25 Apr 2009

With any game universe, you tend to run into plot holes.

The Fallout series is especially no exception, but transferring the game into the hands of another developer seriously exacerbated them.

So lets point them out shall we?

One of the biggest faults I found in Fallout 3 are the exploding nuclear cars. After 200 years of post-apocalyptic warfare and before that a nuclear holocaust, there are still hundreds of these cars which go off with a bang with a few hits. How is that possible? Their reactors are still running after 200 years? And how does a nuclear explosion not detonate most of them but a few bullets blow any of them up?

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 25 Apr 2009

Because exploding nuclear cars are awesome.

:D

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 25 Apr 2009

Some developers find that the cool factor overrides the scientific aspect. If you were to nitpick, a nuke explosion that size should not have a mushroom cloud.

Dutchygamer's Photo Dutchygamer 25 Apr 2009

How can you handle a nuclear grenade launcher that doesn't obliterate everything in a few 100 yards area, and also doesn't emit radiation when you carry it :) It's a game 8|

Sicarius's Photo Sicarius 25 Apr 2009

The biggest I can think of is that the game takes place in Washington DC?
In a nuclear war, wouldn't the nation's capital be hit hard? There should be nothing left of the place, yet there are still buildings standing just a few meters from the crater that was the white house.
How powerful are the nukes in Fallout anyway? I haven't seen one shred of information about this anywhere, but judging by the size of the craters that dot the area around fort Bannister they can't be very powerful. Granted I never played fallout 1 and 2, maybe they explain the war better.
It's also amazing to see how much food/ammo/guns/meds were lying around the place, even after a nuclear holocaust and 200 years of foraging. :)
Edited by Sicarius, 25 April 2009 - 17:11.

MR.Kim's Photo MR.Kim 25 Apr 2009

Well, this is good explaination how to started fusion car(or Nuclear Car) in 2060 and War between China and United States.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Flechette?'s Photo Flechette? 25 Apr 2009

You can actually visit the White House, it's a smouldering crater full of radiation, so I say it was hit pretty hard. It's not canon with say, FO1/2 since most of those places are rebuilt after the war and look the part, they probably bombarded each other with miniaturized nukes and radiation did the rest.

Dr. Strangelove's Photo Dr. Strangelove 25 Apr 2009

View PostSicarius, on 25 Apr 2009, 17:09, said:

The biggest I can think of is that the game takes place in Washington DC?
In a nuclear war, wouldn't the nation's capital be hit hard? There should be nothing left of the place, yet there are still buildings standing just a few meters from the crater that was the white house.
How powerful are the nukes in Fallout anyway? I haven't seen one shred of information about this anywhere, but judging by the size of the craters that dot the area around fort Bannister they can't be very powerful. Granted I never played fallout 1 and 2, maybe they explain the war better.
It's also amazing to see how much food/ammo/guns/meds were lying around the place, even after a nuclear holocaust and 200 years of foraging. :)

Fallout 1+2 were much better.The WAS nothing left of any pre-war buildings that weren't substantially reinforced against a nuclear blast or maintained by survivors. Looking at the world maps you can clearly see craters that could only have been left by MASSIVE bombs. Loot was only found in the settlements of survivors or in secure facilities untouched by them, not lying around in janitor's closets and supermarket shelves.

AllStarZ's Photo AllStarZ 26 Apr 2009

The only way to explain it would be I suppose that the West Coast was hit harder than the Capital due to relative proximity to China and that relatively low yield bombs were used, but even then, there are still WOODEN buildings left standing.
Edited by AllStarZ, 26 April 2009 - 02:50.

RaiDK's Photo RaiDK 26 Apr 2009

Well as someone said, you don't know what's been rebuilt then rehit with something smaller in the meantime.

By your logic there should be nothing left, which doesn't make for a very interesting game :)

Dr. Strangelove's Photo Dr. Strangelove 26 Apr 2009

View PostRaiDK, on 26 Apr 2009, 10:48, said:

By your logic there should be nothing left, which doesn't make for a very interesting game :P

Actually, it was probably MORE interesting, the focus being on the rebirth of human civilization and it's falling back on it's old, destructive habits that lead to the war.