←  Science

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Smashing planets.

Sgt. Rho's Photo Sgt. Rho 11 Aug 2009

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/Media/relea...6/release.shtml

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has found evidence of a high-speed collision between two burgeoning planets around a young star.[....]

Edit: I smell idea for superweapon <>
Edited by Sargeant Rho, 11 August 2009 - 21:41.

Ixonoclast's Photo Ixonoclast 11 Aug 2009

A giant telescope that takes nude pictures of the enemy commander's wife?

But yeah, two crashing planets... pretty awesome.

(You'll see those two planets had highly advanced alien societies with the technology to solve all problems on Earth. Our bad luck does stuff like that.)
Edited by Ixonoclast, 11 August 2009 - 21:53.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 11 Aug 2009

It is thought that the earth crashed into another planet too, and the remains formed the moon.

Kichō's Photo Kichō 11 Aug 2009

CodeCat, on 11 Aug 2009, 23:19, said:

It is thought that the earth crashed into another planet too, and the remains formed the moon.

Funny you say that because I was just watching a documentary about it. :)

Sgt. Rho's Photo Sgt. Rho 12 Aug 2009

a Mars sized planet crashed into the Earth, the Earth didn't crash into a planet, a planet crashed into it :)

Sgt. Nuker's Photo Sgt. Nuker 12 Aug 2009

Sargeant Rho, on 11 Aug 2009, 23:32, said:

a Mars sized planet crashed into the Earth, the Earth didn't crash into a planet, a planet crashed into it :)

It's a "6 one, half-dozen the other" sort of thing really. In other words, there's two ways to look at it.

SquigPie's Photo SquigPie 12 Aug 2009

Whats the point of such a superweapon anyway?

USA: "Post tits or we destroy you!"

X: "How can you possibly do that? Our shield protect us against missiles! Noooo, you're not gonna do....that!

USA: "Yeeees muhahahaha! We're going to flood your country with IMMIGRANTS!"

X: "oooh, peeev we thought you where going to smash a planet into us!"

USA: "no! what kind of psycho would do that? We would destroy our selves as well!"

See?! SEE!?!

Guns might be bad kids, but planets are VERY BAD!

General's Photo General 12 Aug 2009

Sargeant Rho, on 12 Aug 2009, 4:32, said:

So you say universe rotating around earth and earth is the center of the universe and earth can't butt another planet ?! :)

I assume this event happened recently ?! or still its about catching the light of something which happened thousands or millions of years before ? I readed this elsewhere and it says it happened recently, how so ? I am a bit confused on this.

Dauth's Photo Dauth 12 Aug 2009

Turian, on 12 Aug 2009, 8:04, said:

Sargeant Rho, on 12 Aug 2009, 4:32, said:

So you say universe rotating around earth and earth is the center of the universe and earth can't butt another planet ?! :)

I assume this event happened recently ?! or still its about catching the light of something which happened thousands or millions of years before ? I readed this elsewhere and it says it happened recently, how so ? I am a bit confused on this.

During the formation of the solar system you get a disc of spinning matter, centred on the sun (while still moving about galactic centre). Gravity forms this into clumps, there were two large clumps near the Earth's orbit, they gathered up most of the matter until they became gravitationally attracted to each other and crashed. After the crash the smaller lump left a large chunk of its mass on the Earth and became the moon. Over time the lumps were worn into the rough spheres you see today.

Moonlight is done by reflection from the sun just like it always was.

Erik's Photo Erik 12 Aug 2009

Everything you see outside of our solar system has happened a loooong time ago (Perhaps this planet now has a moon and also developed humans that now see the light of our planets collision lol). The furter away something is the further it happened in the past.

Ixonoclast's Photo Ixonoclast 12 Aug 2009

There is no past, there is no time.

The further away something is, the more it moved.

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 12 Aug 2009

Ixonoclast, on 12 Aug 2009, 12:35, said:

There is no past, there is no time.

I knew you would say that. :)