←  C&C: Red Alert 3 Editing

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Mod.str

Ascendancy's Photo Ascendancy 12 Dec 2009

Topic says all. If anyone has a complete mod.str file with all the strings, it'd be appreciated. There are some things I'd like to change.

Ascendancy

Sgt. Rho's Photo Sgt. Rho 12 Dec 2009

You could as well look what the names of the mod.str entries are in the RA3 XMLs and then write new ones for that in a new mod.str.

Slye_Fox's Photo Slye_Fox 12 Dec 2009

RA3 dosn't use a mod.str file for it's string entries, that's only used in the mod.
It uses gamestrings.csf

Ascendancy's Photo Ascendancy 12 Dec 2009

Okay, I have it extracted from where it comes from. Now I just need a tool to be able to read/edit the thing...and I can't seem to find one.

Clockworkjack's Photo Clockworkjack 16 Dec 2009

View PostAscendancy, on 12 Dec 2009, 10:56, said:

Okay, I have it extracted from where it comes from. Now I just need a tool to be able to read/edit the thing...and I can't seem to find one.
try using Open With - Notepad if you use a version of windows.

Ascendancy's Photo Ascendancy 16 Dec 2009

View PostClockworkjack, on 15 Dec 2009, 22:06, said:

View PostAscendancy, on 12 Dec 2009, 10:56, said:

try using Open With - Notepad if you use a version of windows.

I wish it were that easy. The .csf file is hard coded and I don't have a way of decoding it into readable strings, which is what I need.

Dauth's Photo Dauth 16 Dec 2009

Deezire has a string editor in his pack of modding tools iirc, I remember Kris has used one a lot in his work on CCU but you'll need to contact him to confirm which program he uses.

Edit: Damn doubles
Edited by Dauth, 16 December 2009 - 11:04.

Gen.Kenobi's Photo Gen.Kenobi 16 Dec 2009

There's a CFS Editor for Generals, bu ti think, it should work with RA3. However it's kinda buggy, in my opinion....

Slye_Fox's Photo Slye_Fox 16 Dec 2009

View PostGen.Kenobi, on 16 Dec 2009, 12:34, said:

There's a CFS Editor for Generals, bu ti think, it should work with RA3. However it's kinda buggy, in my opinion....

That's the one I use and it works fine

Ascendancy's Photo Ascendancy 16 Dec 2009

I don't know which one you guys use, the Generals CSF Editor I downloaded here says when I open it it's an invalid CSF format.

Slye_Fox's Photo Slye_Fox 16 Dec 2009

That's the same one i got and i just tested the one you linked to, works 100%

So the problem is your cfs file

Ascendancy's Photo Ascendancy 17 Dec 2009

Every CSF file I've extracted from the respective .big files containing them all give me an invalid format using that CSF Editor. I don't know what could be wrong at this point...now I'm hoping someone has one that actually works.

Edit: If it helps I've been using the XCC Mixer to extract the CSF files out, don't know if that would have an impact on them or not.
Edited by Ascendancy, 17 December 2009 - 05:40.

Slye_Fox's Photo Slye_Fox 17 Dec 2009

what big extracter you useing?

<edit>
Use OS big editor
Edited by Slye_Fox, 17 December 2009 - 06:18.

Now it works. Thanks Slye...had an idea it was XCC that was screwing it up if you said the CSF Editor worked.

Edit: To avoid double posting...now that I've edited the CSF file to my liking, I just need to know how to convert it to the mod.str so that the game will read my custom strings and use them.
Edited by Ascendancy, 17 December 2009 - 10:27.

Dauth's Photo Dauth 17 Dec 2009

Do some googling, Jordan posted the original ZH one on FS some time ago in .str form, I don't know about the existence of a converter.

I was fishing around Google and found that there were converters (both from .str to .csf and back) on Sleipnir's stuff, but those links have long since been dead, and were for Gens/ZH, but I would assume it would be compatible with RA3, as was the Gens CSF Editor that I used. Unless someone still has possession of this tool, the last thing I can do is manually write the strings in Notepad and save them as an .str, which hopefully would work then.

JJ's Photo JJ 18 Dec 2009

Umm actually, if RA3 is in any way similar to C&C3, you just include your own mod.str with the strings you have edited and created only, no need to include everything.

Ascendancy's Photo Ascendancy 18 Dec 2009

View PostJJ, on 17 Dec 2009, 22:35, said:

Umm actually, if RA3 is in any way similar to C&C3, you just include your own mod.str with the strings you have edited and created only, no need to include everything.

Fair enough. I have a lot of strings to write myself then...

Edit: Well since I just created a normal text file with the strings and saved it as an .str, it refuses to run now. Lovely...

Double edit: Nevermind...was a problem in the string file missing some ENDs. Now I feel bad for wasting a lot of your guys' time trying to figure this out so I'm sorry.
Edited by Ascendancy, 18 December 2009 - 07:59.