←  Games Development

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Bar Billiards Game

Slightly Wonky Robob's Photo Slightly Wonky Robob 27 Jan 2010

I've had this idea for a while, but don't really know where to start. There are no (real) bar billiards games that I can find online... the only one I can find has dead links. Anyway, if you don't don't know what Bar Billiards is, I need to start spamming it more... imagine something along the lines of pool/snooker. Anyone got any ideas for where to start? I guess it would be easy to get a free engine or mod an existing game, but I don't know if what I need exists...

Dauth's Photo Dauth 27 Jan 2010

You can do pretty much anything in Source Mr Bob

Where would I even start? I have practically zero knowledge of source.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 27 Jan 2010

Internets is your friend Bob

TheDR's Photo TheDR 27 Jan 2010

ModDB is full of source mod Tutorials :P

CodeCat's Photo CodeCat 27 Jan 2010

Billiards doesn't seem too hard to make from scratch. Some basic knowledge of OpenGL, and either SDL or wxWidgets would do nicely. Gotta know your C++ though.

Wizard's Photo Wizard 27 Jan 2010

View PostBob, on 27 Jan 2010, 18:25, said:

Where would I even start? I have practically zero knowledge of source.

How about here

http://developer.val.../wiki/Tutorials

Libains's Photo Libains 27 Jan 2010

I look at that list, and realise that I am happily satisfied with not wanting to mod Source.
Edited by AJ, 27 January 2010 - 21:52.

As much as I appreciate the links to lists of tutorials, they don't really help. I don't know anything about modding source, heck I don't even have source to mod.

Wizard's Photo Wizard 27 Jan 2010

Well that'll be a problem then

Hobbesy's Photo Hobbesy 30 Jan 2010

IIRC you could probably make this in Hammer by itself if you're thinking of Source. It'd take a lot of work, but not as much as a full blown mod.

Slightly Wonky Robob's Photo Slightly Wonky Robob 30 Jan 2010

TBH, after further thought, Source isn't a good way to go. Not only would I have to get it, everyone else would to... If I do ever get around to making this game I want this easily accessible to any one.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 30 Jan 2010

You could always try Flash or even Silverlight.