←  Crazy Mod

Fallout Studios Forums

»

WIP Render: USA Doomsday Device

Jordan's Photo Jordan 07 Jul 2010

WIP USA Doomsday Device:

The Superweapons General lacked content. Here's a new unit to help fix that problem:

Posted Image

Weaponry:
The main turret way up top fires a really big energy pulse at targets, easily destroying light tanks in a single hit. At the center are eight giant missile launchers, firing massive Thomas Hawk missiles. These missiles really do a lot more damage than Tomahawk missiles, but travel much slower. They can be launched from any angle, and fly around to hit their targets. These might replace the missiles for the normal Superweapons General Tomahawk as well, unless I have a better idea.

The Doomsday Device itself is the slowest unit in the game, but one of the most destructive. The massive energy turret has excellent range, due to being mounted on a towering... tower. And the eight missile launchers allow it to engage enemies in any direction without using the turret.

Design:
The silver things between the sections of the tower are sets of two gears that spin in opposite directions, accomplishing no real purpose whatsoever, but looking cool.

The treads are driven by a series of gears, which you will be able to see rotate in-game. The rollers cannot actually roll due to engine limitations, so I made them round enough so you don't notice as much.

You cannot see them from this angle, but this unit has Advanced Cold Fusion Reactors in the back of the chassis, and two on the back of the turret. This thing is very big and needs a lot of power just to move, let alone fire its main gun.

Comments/Criticism:
I need a bit of constructive criticism here, so this is a WIP render for you to check out. There's a bit too much housecolor on the treads, which I plan to fix very soon. I had to make a custom tread texture for this too, which turned out alright.

Also need comments on the unit's actual name. If you think you have a better one, let me know. This unit was based off of Bowser Jr.'s Boomsday Device in Super Mario Galaxy 2, which is where the name came from, except with a different first letter.

Oh yeah, the polygon count is 8578 with the missiles. Good thing you will never have more than one. But really, I've tested vehicles with over 60000 polys and not had any lag problems, so I think it will be fine. (That unit was a modified 81 Topol M with 81 missile tubes. :P)

-Jordan

Alias's Photo Alias 07 Jul 2010

I like the general design, but here's the details I don't like:

1. As you stated already, there's a bit too much housecolour.
2. There could be a little more texture variation, at the moment it is a bit too repetitive, especially on the chassis.
3. I'd cut down the height a little. At the moment it looks like it'll topple the first time it fires its cannon.

Here's the stuff I do like:

1. The rockets, love the face.
2. The tread design. Really like the mechanics in it.
3. The general design, as I already stated.

CJ's Photo CJ 07 Jul 2010

Siege weapons in Zero Hour? Neat :P
I am curious to see what it looks like ingame though :read:

Edited by CJ, 07 July 2010 - 03:02.

View PostAlias, on 6 Jul 2010, 22:30, said:

I like the general design, but here's the details I don't like:

1. As you stated already, there's a bit too much housecolour.
2. There could be a little more texture variation, at the moment it is a bit too repetitive, especially on the chassis.
3. I'd cut down the height a little. At the moment it looks like it'll topple the first time it fires its cannon.

1. Yep.
2. Agreed, I used that gray bar with the white stripe a little too much.
3. Well, this is the Crazy Mod, but maybe a minor redesign is in order. I think that it may need a little shortening if I am ever going to get it to fit in the War Factory. As it stands now, I am planning an animation for it as it leaves the War Factory, where it starts out really small, and then transforms to full size.

-Jordan.
Edited by Jordan, 07 July 2010 - 02:39.

Genrail's Photo Genrail 07 Jul 2010

Can we have a size? how big is it?

Not sure yet, as it isn't scaled yet. It will be able to crush tanks like other super units, and will probably be the tallest thing in the game.

n5p29's Photo n5p29 07 Jul 2010

Bowser invasion CONFIRMED!! :confused:

Zeke's Photo Zeke 07 Jul 2010

lol, Thomas Hawk :confused:

that thing looks EPIC!

I have a little remark about the turret : Why give it a barrel shape when it's supposed to fire energy pulses? I mean, wouldn't it better if the turret looked a bit like this?
Edited by CJ, 07 July 2010 - 03:10.

I like the idea of a different barrel. I just used a generic barrel since I didn't have a good idea for one.

Oh, here's a render of the Thomas Hawk missile:

Posted Image

This was a Tomahawk-based parody of Banzai Bill, which is like a massive version of Bullet Bill. That's where the idea of the giant grinning mouth with the pointy white teeth came in. I tried to just skin in the details at first, but it didn't work out, so I modeled them in. However, this missile is very big, and only going to be used by one or two units, so too many polys shouldn't be an issue.

-Jordan

Su8perkillr's Photo Su8perkillr 07 Jul 2010

Lol, sweet nice and funny at the same time! Genius!

Wizard's Photo Wizard 07 Jul 2010

I absolutely love this unit Jordan. It reminds me of a DoW style tank, specifically a looted ork one.

I'd cut down on the housecolour a little. Perhaps lighten the skin work on the turret, but really you've done a great job there.

As for it's name, how about the OMGBBQ tank. Irony in the last part there :confused:

Rai's Photo Rai 07 Jul 2010

Clearly, I am fascinated with your work on the missile and happy to see the doomsday device (although criticism of others would make me very happy to see a new remake on that unit) Jordan. :confused:

That Thomas Hawk would fit the Kirov so well :confused:

Pav:3d's Photo Pav:3d 07 Jul 2010

Looks like a Dalek to me :confused:

Great design, probably my favourite looking crazy mod unit, keep it up!

Brad's Photo Brad 07 Jul 2010

Awesome.

I love the random gears.
But I agree with CJ, the main barrel could use tweaking/replacing.

MR.Kim's Photo MR.Kim 08 Jul 2010

Holy cow! That's really insane. |8

TheDR's Photo TheDR 08 Jul 2010

Awesome |8

The treads are my favorite part, they really capture the epic feel of the unit.

Gen.Kenobi's Photo Gen.Kenobi 08 Jul 2010

Amazing!

tclink's Photo tclink 26 Sep 2010

To solve the excessive house color (at least on the treads) maybe you could make the center of some gears house color, instead of the ends of all of them

Sgt. Nuker's Photo Sgt. Nuker 03 Oct 2010

View Postn5p29, on 6 Jul 2010, 22:56, said:

Bowser invasion CONFIRMED!! :xD:

Yes, I'm completely aware that I'm a bit late, however, as was once previously stated, the USA's superweapon is just about every weapon formed against Mario combined into one thing. It is quite a sight, and a really good one at that. Well done Jordan.