←  Science

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Scale of the Universe

TheDR's Photo TheDR 12 Jul 2010

Link

A real cool little flash game thing, well worth the click. It starts with the smallest of everything and lets you zoom out to the largest :P

Alias's Photo Alias 12 Jul 2010

Also worth watching:

Wizard's Photo Wizard 12 Jul 2010

Holy insignificance Batman!!

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 12 Jul 2010

[quote name='Alias' post='790181' date='12 Jul 2010, 10:17']Also worth watching:
[/quote]
Whoa, awesome video. The guy has one of those put-you-to-sleep-in-the-classroom voices, but still, cool video. :P

Alias's Photo Alias 12 Jul 2010

How could you diss Carl Sagan. D;

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 12 Jul 2010

View PostAlias, on 12 Jul 2010, 11:04, said:

How could you diss Carl Sagan. D;

He started it, he made me feel insignificant. :P

Chyros's Photo Chyros 12 Jul 2010

We get tons of stuff like that in my courses. It's a nice flash though, quite nicely done :P .

Sgt. Nuker's Photo Sgt. Nuker 13 Jul 2010

So, boil it all down, and you're left with the fact that the Earth isn't even a drop in the cosmos. It's a tiny percentage of a part of a percentage point of a "drop in the bucket", so to speak.

Chyros's Photo Chyros 13 Jul 2010

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 13 Jul 2010, 23:03, said:

So, boil it all down, and you're left with the fact that the Earth isn't even a drop in the cosmos. It's a tiny percentage of a part of a percentage point of a "drop in the bucket", so to speak.
No. It's actually almost infinitely smaller than even that. It's more of a water molecule in a zillion oceans. In fact, it's infinitely less than one water molecule in all water in the universe.

EDIT: and ironically, all matter consists of almost pure nothingness as well, and none of you have ever really touched ANYTHING in your lives :) .
Edited by Chyros, 13 July 2010 - 22:15.

Destiny's Photo Destiny 13 Jul 2010

I've touched my share of things in my life :)

...that aside, we might not be significant in this universe, but we're significant where it matters - Earth.

Sgt. Nuker's Photo Sgt. Nuker 14 Jul 2010

While we're on the subject of matter (and to an even smaller scale, jokes), I believe the old adage "Those that care don't matter, and those that matter don't care" applies. A bit of a play on words, but Destiny was on to something when he said we matter where it counts, our own planet. Despite the sheer magnitude of space (both inner and outer), it, in a sense of the term, doesn't matter. All that really counts, is what's right in front of, and all around, us.

Now that I've waxed philosophic, I believe I'll retire from this thread. :)

SonicBoom's Photo SonicBoom 15 Jul 2010

Even though this is a parody, I still find it relevant.

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 16 Jul 2010

So scientists think there's an end to the universe? I don't believe an end exists, it just continues forever.

Chyros's Photo Chyros 16 Jul 2010

View PostGhostrider, on 16 Jul 2010, 15:55, said:

So scientists think there's an end to the universe? I don't believe an end exists, it just continues forever.
No, it is believed it loops in on itself; the universe is four-dimensional. So there is no beginning or end.

Ghostrider's Photo Ghostrider 16 Jul 2010

View PostChyros, on 16 Jul 2010, 10:27, said:

No, it is believed it loops in on itself; the universe is four-dimensional. So there is no beginning or end.

Let me rephrase that... I don't believe that there is a finite amount of anything in the universe. In that sense I mean it's endless.

Destiny's Photo Destiny 16 Jul 2010

View PostGhostrider, on 16 Jul 2010, 23:19, said:

View PostChyros, on 16 Jul 2010, 10:27, said:

Let me rephrase that... I don't believe that there is a finite amount of anything in the universe. In that sense I mean it's endless.

Heat death of the universe is actually quite a possible theory, but humans are probably going to destroy themselves and never get to see the end of the universe.

If it ever ends.

But then again there's the Big Crunch...

deltaepsilon's Photo deltaepsilon 17 Jul 2010

View PostGhostrider, on 16 Jul 2010, 23:55, said:

It's like Last person to post wins.

GuardianTempest's Photo GuardianTempest 17 Jul 2010

Yeah, the thread will never end.

partyzanpaulzy's Photo partyzanpaulzy 13 Aug 2010

I wonder what happens if you reach an edge somehow (if the Space doesn't expanse with the speed of light). Crash in the barrier? Slip into other Universe? Push the expansion?
Heck I heard once about theory that Space looks like ball from hexagons... then that it looks like a cone...

About the aging of the Universe. Well, I hope there is cyclus like in everything... the last time I read about end of the Universe, Thermal Death without Big Crunch was in order.

And last time I heard the Universe has 11 dimensions according to the M Theory... but I'm just mere observer from the masses, not scientist.
EDIT: I can say only one thing to that scale: "Yo momma!" BTW, I didn't know there's such large galaxy in the Universe... :duh:
Edited by partyzanpaulzy, 13 August 2010 - 19:30.

GuardianTempest's Photo GuardianTempest 13 Aug 2010

[insert Gurren Lagann reference here]

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 13 Aug 2010

View PostGuardianTempest, on 14 Aug 2010, 1:19, said:

[insert Gurren Lagann reference here]

*insert Giant Spiral*

JJ's Photo JJ 14 Aug 2010

View Postpartyzanpaulzy, on 14 Aug 2010, 3:17, said:

I wonder what happens if you reach an edge somehow (if the Space doesn't expanse with the speed of light). Crash in the barrier? Slip into other Universe? Push the expansion?

There's no such thing as an "edge". Think of the Earth, you can keep travelling in any direction forever, never actually stopped by an impassible boundary, but we know for a fact that Earth is not limitless.

Sgt. Rho's Photo Sgt. Rho 15 Aug 2010

Well, there probably is a part from where on there is absolutely nothing what so ever, you could call that and Edge. But there is probably no "wall" there :read:

Golan's Photo Golan 31 Aug 2010

No, the universe is probably the 4D equivalent to a sphere in 3D-space. For example, Earth is a sphere in 3D, making its surface (2D) limitless but not infinite. Likewise, the 4D "universe-sphere" has a 3D "surface" (what we perceive as space) that you could travel through infinitely but never hit an edge - you'd just end up at your starting point eventually, just like you would when you head out for about 40.025km straight in one direction on earth.

GuardianTempest's Photo GuardianTempest 31 Aug 2010

Wow Sandbox...