←  Technology and Science

Fallout Studios Forums

»

Panasonic GF1 vs G2

Libains's Photo Libains 24 Nov 2010

Ok, so let me cut to the chase here. I have a choice of one of two cameras here, either a Panasonic GF1, a lightweight micro four-thirds SLR camera, or a Panasonic G2, a slightly bulkier micro four-thirds SLR camera. I basically need some help choosing the better one.

My concerns/major points on the cameras are as such:

GF1 is far smaller and more compact, and may be more suited to my Uni lifestyle (always on the go)
GF1 does not have a viewfinder of any sort, and I wonder whether you think this would be a detrimental thing.
G2 has a higher ISO rating (6400 vs 3200)
GF1 comes with a thinner lens (20mm vs 14-42mm), will lack of zoom be prohibitive?

So basically, somebody in a better position to judge than me, which would you rather have, and why?

Cheers <87

Jok3r's Photo Jok3r 24 Nov 2010

I'd take the GF2, without knowing much about the cameras, it looks like you're debating size vs functionality- and I'd go with functionality. It really isn't all that limiting to have a larger camera (especially if it's only slightly larger) and I'd side with the features here.

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 27 Nov 2010

Take the GF1. The slimmer 20mm 1.7 will be great in low light. The lack of a viewfinder will only impact you if you decide to get a longer zoom. Also these cams have the same sensor, and trust me the results at 6400 ISO are not pretty at all. I barely touch 3200 and 1600 with my G1. Plus the GF1 is sexier. Also you can always buy the add-on EVF later (even though it isnt that good)