←  Technology and Science

Fallout Studios Forums

»

The Skin Gun

deltaepsilon's Photo deltaepsilon 04 Feb 2011

Well, I came across this while browsing the TF2 Steam forums, and I thought it was pretty remarkable.

Yes, what we have here may be a real-life medigun. It's truly amazing seeing the wonders of medical science.

Encrypted's Photo Encrypted 04 Feb 2011

Thats pretty amazing, you could walk past him and not even realise that, at some point, he had been badly burnt.

Chyros's Photo Chyros 04 Feb 2011

That's absolutely astonishing. It shows just what we can do with the help of stem cells <87 .

I know, right? And its applications are certainly not limited to skin <87

No indeed, though skin of course offers the best view of how seamless the results are, and skin seems like one of the hardest things to replace. Imagine what other things they can do with this technology....

*waits for someone to oppose the use of stem cells*

Whitey's Photo Whitey 04 Feb 2011

I'm impressed. Definitely a leap up from current skin treatment. Let's see it applied fully.

Ahem, stem cell research is morally wrong and thus this idea is morally wrong on all levels. Simple as that.
Edited by Boidy, 04 February 2011 - 08:03.

Sgt. Rho's Photo Sgt. Rho 04 Feb 2011

Now this is impressive. There are probably many more applications than healing burns. For example, making ugly scars disappear, 'heal' psoriasis, etc.

Oh, and of course, this is incredibly morally wrong <87

Wizard's Photo Wizard 04 Feb 2011

View PostChyros, on 4 Feb 2011, 7:51, said:

*waits for someone to oppose the use of stem cells*

With results like that why would anyone ever oppose stem cell research??

That video is simply amazing.

Sgt. Rho's Photo Sgt. Rho 04 Feb 2011

Those who oppose stem cell research are either idiots or religious fundamentalists imho.

Raven's Photo Raven 04 Feb 2011

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing <87. 4 days and its almost good as it was before.

Alias's Photo Alias 04 Feb 2011

To be fair, almost all of the opposition is to embryonic stem cells not to adult stems cells (like this, and the majority of all stem cell research). It's just the negative things get all the publicity.

It should be noted that in the video the guy states the stem cells were taken from him.

Destiny's Photo Destiny 04 Feb 2011

View PostChyros, on 4 Feb 2011, 15:26, said:

That's absolutely astonishing. It shows just what we can do with the help of stem cells :xD: .

Gives a new meaning to 'stem the tide', eh? <87

TheDR's Photo TheDR 04 Feb 2011

I saw this the other day and thought it was amazing. I really hope this tech becomes widely used as fast as possible.

View PostDestiny, on 4 Feb 2011, 13:15, said:

View PostChyros, on 4 Feb 2011, 15:26, said:

That's absolutely astonishing. It shows just what we can do with the help of stem cells :) .

Gives a new meaning to 'stem the tide', eh? <87
"Stem the hide" more like :xD: .

Alias's Photo Alias 04 Feb 2011

I'd say it's meating expectations.

SquigPie's Photo SquigPie 04 Feb 2011

I would prefer if they'd shown a vid of the spray being applied, until then, I can't be sure it works.

Wizard's Photo Wizard 04 Feb 2011

View PostSquigPie, on 4 Feb 2011, 12:19, said:

I would prefer if they'd shown a vid of the spray being applied, until then, I can't be sure it works.

Riiiight, SquigPie is the yardstick by which all medical developments must be measured <87

SquigPie's Photo SquigPie 04 Feb 2011

View PostWizard, on 4 Feb 2011, 14:02, said:

Riiiight, SquigPie is the yardstick by which all medical developments must be measured <87

:facepalm:

WHAT I MEANT was that some guy talking about how he USED to be burned, and some doctor pointing at this fancy thing and saying it heals stuff ISN'T VERY MUCH PROOF THAT IT WORKS.

Anyone can make a hoax vid about a miraclecure. And no, I'm not saying "It looks like a hoax, I can tell from the lack of evidence and having seen quite a few hoaxvids in my time" All I'm saying is that I'd like little more evidence before I treat it like the second coming of Christ.
Edited by SquigPie, 04 February 2011 - 13:21.

View PostSquigPie, on 4 Feb 2011, 15:19, said:

View PostWizard, on 4 Feb 2011, 14:02, said:

Riiiight, SquigPie is the yardstick by which all medical developments must be measured :xD:

:facepalm:

WHAT I MEANT was that some guy talking about how he USED to be burned, and some doctor pointing at this fancy thing and saying it heals stuff ISN'T VERY MUCH PROOF THAT IT WORKS.

Anyone can make a hoax vid about a miraclecure. And no, I'm not saying "It looks like a hoax, I can tell from the lack of evidence and having seen quite a few hoaxvids in my time" All I'm saying is that I'd like little more evidence before I treat it like the second coming of Christ.
Look at the vid; sauce: National Geographic

haters goan hate

The only thing they say in the vid is that it's an EXPERIMENTAL thing that happens to have worked very well so far. It does NOT claim to be the second coming of Christ (which personally I'd find considerably less interesting to begin with but whatever <87) .

Destiny's Photo Destiny 04 Feb 2011

The scientist already DID spray the stuff already.

...on some glass <87

Brad's Photo Brad 04 Feb 2011

That is just, simply fantastic.

Pav:3d's Photo Pav:3d 04 Feb 2011

Brilliant, another yay for science <87

Ion Cannon!'s Photo Ion Cannon! 04 Feb 2011

That's incredible, If this treatment can be available to all it will likely mean the end of highly disfiguring burns.

Kris's Photo Kris 05 Feb 2011

Now if they can only make a gun that promote brain and IQ growth <87
Edited by Kris, 05 February 2011 - 01:55.