←  News and Announcements

Fallout Studios Forums

»

New Signature Size Limit!

Slightly Wonky Robob's Photo Slightly Wonky Robob 26 Mar 2011

We have decided that our old size limit just didn't cut it any more, so we have increased the limit from 600 x 350px to 800 x 400px. Most people have bigger screens than when the original limit was put in place, so most screens should be able to cope with the increase in size. Hope to see some new sigs taking advantage of this; happy sig making!

Destiny's Photo Destiny 26 Mar 2011

Wow...truly...wow. I am...wow. Damn. Damn. I am speechless, an almost 800x600 sig...wow. Simply...wow. I've never explored into the giant sig territory...

Sgt. Nuker's Photo Sgt. Nuker 26 Mar 2011

We all felt it was time to usher in something new. The new limit "seems about right".

View PostSgt. Nuker, on 27 Mar 2011, 0:56, said:

We all felt it was time to usher in something new. The new limit "seems about right".

Does this look right to you...? D; I'm kinda scared.

Slightly Wonky Robob's Photo Slightly Wonky Robob 26 Mar 2011

There's always one. :P

Sgt. Nuker's Photo Sgt. Nuker 26 Mar 2011

Well, it's technically not exceeding the limit, but, it does seem a bit..........excessive, no? :P

At least it was Destiny who tested the limit and not some random noob. :P

Can't complain, it's only 59kb :P

SquigPie's Photo SquigPie 26 Mar 2011

*Sees thread title*
*OH NO, MY FAVORITE QUOTE AND BANNER WILL BE REMOVED!*
"Signature size limit has been INCREASED"

Pheeew.

Anyway, hope this doesn't mean that we'll be flooded by megasigs.
Edited by SquigPie, 26 March 2011 - 17:41.

Most image hosters don't let you exceed 1 MB so it should be okay, unless you own the site itself...

Golan's Photo Golan 26 Mar 2011

Sorry, but... what the? That's bigger than the average post volume. Increasing width, okay, posts are ordered vertically so that isn't much of a deal. Increasing height, well, 400px is equivalent to about 30 lines of text.

Oh well, there's always the option to term 'em off...

*heads to the Golan-mobile*
*makes a beeline to the secret control panel vault*

NANA-NANA-NANANANA...

BeefJeRKy's Photo BeefJeRKy 27 Mar 2011

The 400 pixels include any text or quote boxes in the sig, not just the image. If you have good taste, you wouldn't make a sig that tall anyway :P

Destiny's Photo Destiny 27 Mar 2011

Naturally, they look horrible being squares.

Golan's Photo Golan 27 Mar 2011

View PostScope, on 27 Mar 2011, 8:35, said:

The 400 pixels include any text or quote boxes in the sig, not just the image. If you have good taste, you wouldn't make a sig that tall anyway :P
:P

I wasn't talking about images specifically, it's the size of the sig compared to the amount of actual post content that bothers me. The earlier 350px limit was already a bit much.
I'm currently seeing a total of two posts for a total of two lines, yours and Destiny's. Even if it were yours twice, I'd still not be able to see any more. That's on 1680x1050 screen size, which I guess is fairly standard for the average forum goer. Of course, disabling sigs is an option, but where's the point in having them if most people don't see them anyways?
Edited by Golan, 27 March 2011 - 09:07.

I'm just fooling around with mine, don't worry :P It's quite large, though...not many progress into giant sig territory.

Alias's Photo Alias 27 Mar 2011

I've adblocked Destiny's, but yeah.

I don't have too much against a horizontal increase but a vertical increase is pretty iffy. I'm with Golan on the fact that a sig shouldn't take up more height than the post that preceded it, it's a bit silly to have 2/3 of your scrolling being skipping over signatures.

Fine fine I'll switch it out :P Unless you post huge walls of text, that 400 is quite something.

Even without sigs, I can see just over 2 posts by members on my 1600*900 laptop screen. On my 1080 screen on the desktop that could become just a little less than 3. In any case, if we find the new sig height troublesome, it wouldn't be difficult to reverse would it.

I actually doubt many would make a sig that big too.

n5p29's Photo n5p29 27 Mar 2011

REMEMBER KIDS: RIDICULOUSLY BIG SIGNATURES = SMALL P***S

sorry, can't hold to post this :P

View Postn5p29, on 27 Mar 2011, 20:10, said:

REMEMBER KIDS: RIDICULOUSLY BIG SIGNATURES = SMALL P***S

sorry, can't hold to post this :P

Hahaha luckily I'm quite content with my own 8|

Golan's Photo Golan 27 Mar 2011

View PostScope, on 27 Mar 2011, 9:38, said:

Even without sigs, I can see just over 2 posts by members on my 1600*900 laptop screen. On my 1080 screen on the desktop that could become just a little less than 3. In any case, if we find the new sig height troublesome, it wouldn't be difficult to reverse would it.
Could you at least add an option to the user CP to disable all the random junk messages displayed in the side bar under a user's avatar then?

That's a question for an admin to answer. Maybe it requires new forum software? Or perhaps, we would have to tweak the limit ourselves.

Wizard's Photo Wizard 27 Mar 2011

There is no facility to turn off the user description text without actually turning it off entirely. At this stage I am particularly loathe to go looking for and install an addon for something that has been a feature for donkeys years and is no worse than the signatures we've had for ages.

CJ's Photo CJ 27 Mar 2011

I dunno about this change... If you see graph sites, you'll notice that the size limit is way less important than this. The standard sig is not supposed to exceed 500*400, and most contests limit the size to 450*250...

Dauth's Photo Dauth 27 Mar 2011

While I don't visit much anymore, this will further put me off. I really cba with scrolling over half a page for 4 lines of comment. If people want to express with a big pic they have the profile pages, why inundate the rest of us?