WTF is wrong with the British Ministry of Defence!!!!!!!

34 replies to this topic

#26 bluejedi

Regular

• 164 posts
  • Projects: An effective defence against the Vulcan “Mind Meld”

Posted 09 February 2007 - 00:16

View PostForerunner, on 8 Feb 2007, 20:57, said:

*edit
This is a joke, right?
lol, No it wasn't really, a lot of the UK just doesn't want them.

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/2766805.stm

We admire people that fight with flowers dude . . .Posted Image

. . . all I can say about "terrorists" is - "Don't believe the hype" . . . (Artist: Public Enemy - Album: It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back)

There is a lot more going on than we told about, so until I am given ALL the information, in triplicate, by tomorrow afternoon. . . . I’m not going to believe a word they say!

We don't need the boats! It’s sad that we are loosing our toys, but hopefully it’s for a better future.
"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams."

Posted Image Posted Image

#27 Nuke General

Originally Nuke General, Formerly Forerunner

• Member Test
  • 977 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 00:42

The Battleship USS New Jersey was in service for about 40 years, Why? Because it could launch slugs over 15 miles, they even used it in the gulf war pounding Sadam with the guns. Today, all of these ships carry cruise missiles, ones capable of traveling great distances, thats what allot of ships are for and they are necessary in many percise strikes.

Also fighting with flowers, well chit-chatting about our problems is all well and good but these people only understand violence.

And don't believe the hype, what the heck is that supposed to mean?
Posted Image
Awesome sig made by Lord Atlantis

#28 bluejedi

Regular

• 164 posts
  • Projects: An effective defence against the Vulcan “Mind Meld”

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:07

View PostForerunner, on 9 Feb 2007, 00:42, said:

The Battleship USS New Jersey was in service for about 40 years, Why? Because it could launch slugs over 15 miles, they even used it in the gulf war pounding Sadam with the guns. Today, all of these ships carry cruise missiles, ones capable of traveling great distances, thats what allot of ships are for and they are necessary in many percise strikes.
Agreed, yes they are undeniably a vital component in the modern war machine! So NO arguments about there usefulness in a fight. The UK is going through a "don’t want to fight for no reason mood" so we just don’t want or more importantly, need them. We need schools and useful stuff like economic stability, affordable house prices, boring s**t like that. lol - big multi missile totting battle boats just can't help with those problems! If we could afford it I’d like a navy of Hydrogen Powered Heavy Hover Cruisers armed with hot maple syrup plasma cannons, photon pancake flares and love nukes, (AKA - MUcH luvonium bombs) Oh and dolphin friendly sonar, sung by Barry White.

Also fighting with flowers, well chit-chatting about our problems is all well and good but these people only understand violence
They do? Or you do? Who are "these people"? The "terrorists"? Next you will be telling me my Muslim friends are going to kill me, lol.

lol, Just that dude, always ask questions, don’t believe everything you are told. That’s all it means. Try and see all the sides to something. :P
"We are the music makers; we are the dreamers of dreams."

Posted Image Posted Image

#29 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:30

View PostForerunner, on 8 Feb 2007, 19:42, said:

Also fighting with flowers, well chit-chatting about our problems is all well and good but these people only understand violence.

Bullshit detector going off. The New Jersey Battleship was kept for PR reasons. Submarines and carriers have overtaken them completely in military utility.

And so invasion is the best option, because armed pressure from an outside force will surely convince them to cooperate.

[indent]Conventional invasion only works politically or for extermination, because eventually the internal population will rise up against the outsider if their values contradict theirs too much. The problem with the ME is partially caused by superpowers screwing around there through local groups. Israel, Iran, Afghanistan, Lebanon. That and the importance of that region in the later half of the 20th century.[/indent]

Edited by AllStarZ, 09 February 2007 - 02:32.

#30 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:30

Also, please refer to it as USS Iowa class, not just New Jersey, there are five or six ships in the class, that all got mothballed and recommisioned many times (Korea, Vietnam, and Gulf War). The only reason we have the Iowas was because at the time we had a shortage of missile cruisers, and Iowas with Tomahawks, Harpoons and Sea Sparrows on them made a fitting (but expensive) relacement. Personally, the Iowa class ships are my favorite ships out of all of them ever, but I do have to admit that Nimitz, Kitty-Hawk, and Enterprise class carriers are just superior nowadays, and now that missile cruisers like the Ticonderogas have tomahawks, which have a range of 600 miles, that kinda makes the 15 inch high velocity guns of the Iowas obsolete, and though you can mount the same missiles on the Iowa, they are too expensive to operate, and can't carry as many missiles.
Posted Image

#31 Nuke General

• Member Test
  • 977 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:22

Allstarz, i'm sure you know that the USS New Jersey was the last to go out of service and WAS used in the Gulf Ware, not just PR.

@ Blue Jedi: Dude, that was pretty funny, Barry White Sonar? :P

Anyways, I should have said terrorists, I have NO problems with anyone of middle eastern descent or follow Islam, heck, I have neighbors that are from the middle east and they are great people. I just have a bone to pick with extremists. But you see, the problem is that they don't seem to like to negotiate too much, I mean, their all, evil westerners and we must destroy their imperal way of life etc. and they really only respond to violence. I mean, yes, I agree, peace is better then war, but sometimes, it is not an option.
Posted Image

#32 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:46

First of all, there were 4 ships, 6 were planned, 2 were cancelled.

Second of all, there's not much they can do that other less expensive ships can do. Tomahawks and harpoons can be launched by other platforms as well, and the 16-inch cannons really aren't useful in an age where your enemy goes to hide in a hole when he hears a bomb coming.

#33 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 04:58

"6 planned" yeah, that was what I was talking abut, sorry for being out of date lol. And I agree with what AllstarZ said (which is kinda what I said). The days of the battleship as being the flagship of the navy are LONG over, it's been that way since WWII as was showed in the Pacific Theater. The battleship nowadays has almost no use now, why use 16 inch guns with a range of like 15 miles when you can use cruise missiles with a 600 mile range with more bang and more precision.
Posted Image

#34 Nuke General

• Member Test
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 15:14

Everybody seems to have lost my point, I know battleships are old and all of them have been decomissioned. I was just making an example :dizz

Edited by Forerunner, 10 February 2007 - 15:15.

Posted Image

#35 Jean-Luc Picard

Professional

• Banned
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 23:17

Battleships are obscolete. Compared with the modern ships of today. If you dont believe me then go play Fleet Command, its an old game, but you will notice how ineffective your ships guns are. Missiles are the way of the future. In ship-ship combat, we have TASMs, Harpoons, ASMs, torpedoes, which is now only strictly anti submarine now. The CVBG is a powerful force to be reckoned with. Just the aircraft carrier alone is lethal to half the fleets in the world today. One carrier ruling the skies with planes, plus Seawolf's under the sea, with the Ticonderoga's above taking care of all the ground targets, as well as ship threats. In todays world by the time you get close enough to shoot cannons at your enemy your dead.
I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise.
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users