Organ Donation

29 replies to this topic

#1 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 20:31

Well, not much to say to introduce this topic. Anyways, the topic arose ´round here in the last time and I´d like to hear some other views about it. Do you think people should be obliged to donating their organs? Should only peoples allowing their organs to be "re-used" be given transplants by other donators? Would you yourself mind to donate your organs after death?
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#2 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 20:34

I don't think it should be obliged to donate. But if you refuse, you should also have a lower priority when receiving one. Seems fair, really.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#3 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 24 April 2007 - 20:35

It is wrong to obligate ppl to donate organs.

But i personally will donate mine after death.

#4 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 20:36

^agreed with codecat.
but organ donation when u are dead i think should be mandatory.
u dont need them, someone else does. common sense

Posted Image

#5 Cheesehead3557

Visitor

• 46 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 20:49

Well their are a couple of main reasons why people don't want to donate their organs.

*they think that this will cause doctors to be more likely to just start chopping them up rather than saving their lives
-this is complete bs

*Ruin open casket funeral
-again this is bs. they will end up looking better than when the organs were removed. bodies are prepped to look good for these. Car accidents do leave some scratches...

*The main one. Various religious reasons
-Well I won't say anything about believing you will be prevented from going to heaven or something similar. In this I believe we let people decide this for themselves. We'll find out after death whether they were right or not.
-Believe its wrong to have somebodies organs or it disgraces the dead to cut them up. I'm pretty sure the donor is okay with getting the organ otherwise they could just refuse the transplant. If I die just cut me up, I'm dead and I won't feel it. Also, car accidents do leave some scratches and your body might not be whole anyway. Whats missing a few organs then anyway.

I say we don't force people to become organ donors, mainly because of the religious reasons. Err, why do I even bother respecting religions. Choice is good, though I do believe people should become registered organ donors.

Hmm... well maybe as technology advances we won't have to worry. We can just grow or clone organs, which would be more compatable with our bodies or start using mechanical ones.

P.S. I am a registered organ donor and yes this probably effects my opinion.
"Who is the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

#6 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 24 April 2007 - 20:56

On my driver's license, it reads "Organ Donor". Right now, they're my organs, but when I die, I won't need them anymore, so I see no reason why someone else couldn't use them. If I was a match for someone that needed a kidney, I'd do it. You only need one kidney, and to someone that needs just one to live on, why should I live in luxury with two when I could give the gift of freedom (in a sense) to someone who would have to use an expensive dialysis machine and be there for hours.

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#7 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 24 April 2007 - 21:11

I wouldn't mind giving up my organs after I die, I'm sure someone could use them, it's not like I need them after I'm dead right?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#8 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 24 April 2007 - 21:16

I agrees with Master_Chief
When i die (2101 :D ) i donate my organs

Edited by Kid, 24 April 2007 - 21:16.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#9 Cheesehead3557

Visitor

• 46 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 21:31

@codecats comment
moving somebody lower on the "list" to receive a donation doesn't really work since there is no true list.

Its more that they enter a donors personal info in and find the most compatible person to receive the organ. Due to the short lifespan of organs it has to be somebody in the close area, and if its not a close enough match your own body will kill the replacement.

Though that idea does sound kinda fair.
"Who is the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

#10 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 21:45

I would'nt mind If i were dead. Or if I did'nt need it like my second Kidney.

#11 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 24 April 2007 - 22:57

I wouldn't mind donating my organs to another fellow human being as long that they don't cut me open the first minute I'm unconcious in a hospital and become a part of the world-wide organ trafficking cartel.
Posted Image

#12 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 23:54

No
No
Yes

I don't want my organs used to help Pete the Pothead continue living when I wasn't given the same opportunity. Not that this is such a huge number but I just don't want that happening no way. I'm not paying somebody else's debts.

There are of course, those that have their organs fail for reasons unrelated to smoking/weed/drugs/self-imposed issues. This is the majority I assume, and these guys should be allowed to reap the benefits whether they donate or not, because they didn't do it to themselves.

I would mind donating my organs (as in I won't). I refuse to give up my organs for reason #1. I don't want to help somebody who doesn't need it.

#13 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:38

I believe in second chances. No matter how wasteful of their life one may be, you should help people out if you can. Because to stand by knowing you could've done something to save someone's life is a more horrible crime than wasting or damaging your own health.

If I were dead I would donate my organs. If I were alive and a donation of a part was required, I'd willingly agree no matter who it is. Even if it was a criminal.

#14 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:15

View PostLeatherneck, on 25 Apr 2007, 01:54, said:

No
No
Yes

I don't want my organs used to help Pete the Pothead continue living when I wasn't given the same opportunity. Not that this is such a huge number but I just don't want that happening no way. I'm not paying somebody else's debts.

There are of course, those that have their organs fail for reasons unrelated to smoking/weed/drugs/self-imposed issues. This is the majority I assume, and these guys should be allowed to reap the benefits whether they donate or not, because they didn't do it to themselves.

I would mind donating my organs (as in I won't). I refuse to give up my organs for reason #1. I don't want to help somebody who doesn't need it.

So in other words, if you were to destroy your body due to unhealthy lifestyle or something, would you appreciate it if someone as self-righteous as yourself refused to give you a new heart or liver?
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#15 LCPL Carrow

You want my guns? Come take 'em!

• 753 posts
  • Projects: ZH Unleashed

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:59

Well, I think what he's getting at is the saying "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough." I kinda agree that those people shouldn't really get new organs if others need 'em worse, but that isn't gonna stop me from donating mine. I'm an organ donor, and I don't have a problem with it.
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

#16 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 25 April 2007 - 13:03

I'm pro-obligatory donations, and pro-registering as a non-donor. Like others have said, when you're dead, you don't need them anymore. If you have ethical objections, register as a non-donor. If you're too lazy, tough.

#17 LCPL Carrow

You want my guns? Come take 'em!

• 753 posts
  • Projects: ZH Unleashed

Posted 25 April 2007 - 13:21

Nah, I don't think you can force people to donate their organs. The government has no right to tell you that you have to give up your organs.
Semper Fidelis

0311 Rifleman

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Aqua> 0311 Roflemen.

#18 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 17:10

Everyone fell free to take my organs after I die :)

#19 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 20:28

Exactly what I'm saying Matthias. Prepare to face consequences. Don't mooch off of me, especially right after I die and especially if it is for lack of a donated organ.

#20 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:09

Then, if you have objections, register as a non-donor.

#21 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:27

isnt it better to donate them even if there is a chance they would go to someone who doesnt deserve them, as they equally likely may go to someone that sincerely needs them due to no fault of their own.
if u say no altogether then no-ones life is saved, but if u do donate them then u could save a good honest persons life.

Posted Image

#22 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:55

I'll probably donate all my organs when I die. Better then them just rotting with my flesh.

Or I could be cremated.

Posted Image

#23 Waris

Endless Sip

• Gold Member
  • 7458 posts
  • Projects: The End of Days, DTU Donutin Council Co-Chairman

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:42

I'd donate mine once I die. Howver, I'll have to think twice if I am still wakling the Earth.

#24 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 14:21

Well It's Right To Obligate People To Donate Their Organs After Death ... They Wont Need Them Anyway
Posted Image

#25 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 14:33

Well, the point really is: Because dead people can't object, is it ok to do it? Who is responsible for a dead body? We seem to have the same stance with kids and non-human species (if you can't say no, it's ok), so I guess it's only fair to take what we want once people are dead.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users