If time travel was possible....

59 replies to this topic

#1 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 17:16

What would you do? How would it influence the future? (Which is now)
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#2 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 26 April 2007 - 17:57

Time travel is not possible in a single universe theory because of the grand father clock paradox. and in the multiple/parallel universe theory it would be irrelevant because your actions in another universe have to bearing in your own universe so you would just be changing things for your own self and the universe you left behind will still continue the same course of action.
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#3 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 18:02

Precisely what POTP said.

Oh and I'd go back in time with all the modern-day things and like rule the world. That would be pretty nice.

#4 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 18:08

Meh...Despite that time travelling is most certainly impossible, I'd firstly see the future. I'd like to know what my city lookslike in 2025, 2050 and 2100. Would also make sure to steal some useful goods. Then I would go back in time, undo some things I screwed up and get back to present day...

#5 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 18:09

I would take Cnc 3 and a good pc to the release of cnc 1 and see what they say.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#6 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 18:12

Lol they'd probably call you an evil wizard/demon and burn you on a pyre for using black arts. :D

Edited by MDW, 26 April 2007 - 18:12.

#7 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 18:16

Yep. That is how ancient C&C1 is

:D

#8 TheDR

Whispery Wizard

• Administrator
  • 5846 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 18:16

Lol they'd probably call you an evil wizard/demon and burn you on a pyre for using black arts.

yer, Ea is black arts lol.
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

#9 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 26 April 2007 - 19:20

View PostLeatherneck, on 26 Apr 2007, 14:02, said:

Oh and I'd go back in time with all the modern-day things and like rule the world. That would be pretty nice.

Then we'd have ourself's a time paradox :D .

Edited by Soul, 26 April 2007 - 20:11.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#10 Cheesehead3557

Visitor

• 46 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 20:09

I'd go back and watch the birth of the earth, life, the universe and well everything. Then I'd go forward into the future and watch its destruction finally figuring out once and for all whether the universe will explode or implode.
"Who is the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

#11 Amdrial

Naval Wrenchineer

• Project Leader
  • 3047 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 20:35

And where do you go then?
Posted Image
The above signature was made by TheDR.
Posted Image

#12 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 26 April 2007 - 20:39

You'd not be alive to experience both.. unless you are in kind some kind of magical immunity to all bubble or something of the like.

As for myself, I'd probably do a lot of touring of both past and future. If I managed to, I'd visit Mankind in our craddle and help them get a smoother start. I'd probably be considered a god and there would be drawings of me in murals at museums all over the world.
Posted Image

#13 Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 6796 posts
  • Projects: Sigma Invasion

Posted 26 April 2007 - 20:45

Your all forgetting that interfering with the past will have a strong effect on the future and will most likely result in a time paradox.

As for going into the future, that is a even worse idea, as it can only let to trouble.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Insomniac!, on 16 Sep 2008, 20:12, said:

Soul you scare the hell out of me, more so than Lizzie.

I've been given a Bob coin from Mr. Bob, a life time supply of cookies from Blonde-Unknown, some Internet Chocolate from the Full Throttle mod team, and some Assorted Weapons from Høbbesy.

#14 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 20:46

Well, if you've seen Back to the Future, you might know that there is another way for time to act: not linear, but branching. Time wouldn't be a sequence, but a choice tree. Every time the laws of physics make a choice (quantum mechanics in particular are rich in arbitrary choices), different timelines split off representing the different values of each choice and the consequences. What we see now is basically the result one of a near-infinite sequence of random chances. The grandfather paradox doesn't apply here, because the 'you' who killed your granda came from a different time branch than the one you go into once he's killed. So, if there were a way to go back, you could change history and cause your own timeline to branch off in a different direction, without suffering the consequences of messing with your own timeline. Just like when Biff went back and changed history, Marty and Doc ended up in a dystopian future.

That said, I think I'd go back and look for a way to prevent each war and killing in history. Iraq, World Wars 1 and 2, the crusades, the troubles, the Vietnam war, the 80-year war, the colonisation, the Korean war, the revolutions of South America etc. Of course, if I prevented the colonisations, then America would have not even existed as we know it, so that would take care of some of the matters. Shutting down Rome would probably take care of Europe as we know it. I think a world of peace would look much different from how we see it...
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#15 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 26 April 2007 - 21:36

I would go back in time to meet myself, and see if that'll destroy the universe like a computer crash.

#16 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 21:47

Errrr.... Codecat if there was a world of peace there would be no CnC meaning no Shw meaning no E-studios. That and communism would'nt be a large idea and just an idea with no Soviet Union and we already know humans would still have some kind of war, its just the way we act. :/

EDIT: Oh wait, you would start communism, never mind.

I would get some cool stuff from the past and save the Library of Alexandria from burning.

Edited by Hobbes1098, 26 April 2007 - 21:51.

#17 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 21:48

And peace isn't good? Do you like to live your world in fear of others?

#18 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 21:50

I was just stating a fact, plus it almost impossible for most of us humans to be that peaceful.
As a bonus I could stop that the Library of Alexandria from burning and see if the past was really as advanced as some say it was.

Edited by Hobbes1098, 26 April 2007 - 21:52.

#19 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 21:53

And peace cannot be a fact? We're already shuffling towards it, at least in the Western Hemisphere. All that is needed is a purpose to focus on above all others.

#20 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 22:00

How about no fears of nuclear holocousts, it would work.

#21 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 22:04

One word. Sudan. Iraq. Afghanistan.

#22 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 22:08

Build nuclear defense systems while getting rid of nuclear weapons, and I thought you were against those nations being dangerous to us.

Edited by Hobbes1098, 26 April 2007 - 22:09.

#23 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 22:12

I'm saying that nuclear holocaust is less of a reality nowadays, but that the fear of being killed, being forced to fight, being tortured is very real, and that many people live in fear of these very things that are familiar with warfare. I'd prefer it stop but with the whole international politics it likely won't mainly because it has become more of a tool to settle an argument by forcing someone to your will.

#24 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 22:16

Which just supports my saying that a war will start no matter what because its what humans do, they like to have power and nothing can stop that.

#25 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 22:22

That's why I say gradually eliminate the international system. But it will require a common goal that people are not ready to undertake.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users