Does Free Will exist?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Cheesehead3557

Visitor

• 46 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:11

An age old question. To what extent are we able to control our own destiny. Are we fated to a certain destiny or can we fight it. Has God determined our path for us without deviation according to his plan, or do we decide on or own choices. Are we simply products of are environment or do we decide from some inner presence what we do. I invite you to remember the paradox of the broken pot in the Matrix. I open this with a great paradoxical quote:

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice."
-- Isaac B. Singer
"Who is the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

#2 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:35

I think our natural conception would allow us to have a free will but we usually haven't because our will is formed by our education and the world around us, values we receive from family and parents, that stuff. Technically, we could think and want what ever we'd like but our education sort of limits the things we would "dare" to think of.

#3 Cryptkeeper

secret experment 142-2

• 4199 posts
  • Projects: shockwave,rise of the reds

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:45

yes we have freewill i think of things society doesn't want me to societies closed bars has no effect on me thats why they fear and hate me

my environment is that conservative overprotective parents but i think nothing like them i exspand my mind to things beyound the society i live in.

#4 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:58

I think it does exists but I also believe there is a powerfull deity which can affect our free wills .

#5 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:55

if god effects it then how is it free?
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#6 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:26

It all depends on what you see as free will. If you say that we ourselfs can decide, then yes, there is free will. However, if you mean that we decide without any influence or predomination... well, neurology and some laws of science will fuck you up pretty badly.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#7 Ektufall

Archiver / Dream addict

• 741 posts
  • Projects: Going nowhere slow ... With one more cup of tea

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:20

The fate in big steps are made for us only the way we will reach it is depending on us ... Thats my opinion. So free will more or less does exist!

Edited by Ektufall, 01 May 2007 - 11:21.

If you have something to contribute for the Shockwave archive please share or point me to it !
Posted Image
[indent][indent] [/indent][/indent]Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd greatest gratitude goes for Kid and Sic ! ;)

#8 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:57

View PostMDW, on 1 May 2007, 02:35, said:

I think our natural conception would allow us to have a free will but we usually haven't because our will is formed by our education and the world around us, values we receive from family and parents, that stuff. Technically, we could think and want what ever we'd like but our education sort of limits the things we would "dare" to think of.

Indeed that's how it goes.
Posted Image

#9 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 19:16

If you can define free will than thats most probably on how your mind is effected....like if your mind is totaly depressed u think u beat up someone as an act of free will
Posted Image

#10 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 20:26

Free will exists, but so does the ability to accurately (to an extent) gauge it. So while there is free will, it is governed by certain laws. An obvious example being that I cannot fly. Less obviously, I am not going to eat a hamburger today. Fate will not tell me what I am to do, I will. I can clap my hands for no damn reason, only because I feel like it. Nothing is pre-determined.

#11 G-sus

batshit insane

• 802 posts
  • Projects: Coding Skynet

Posted 01 May 2007 - 20:46

fate and free will don't contradict themselves,
so god´s plan is our own choice.

on the other side, is free will really something that does even matter?
i think it's not.

Edited by G-sus, 01 May 2007 - 20:57.

Posted Image
(Sig by The DR)

True beauty comes from heart and mind.
(but perfection has also big boobs)

#12 Lord Atlantis

I am Iron Man

• 3807 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 22:43

God knows what we are going to do every day of our lives. But we don't know that so what we see in our eyes as free will is actually fate in God's eyes.

-Lord_Atlantis
Posted Image

#13 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:55

I just play it safe and play it through. If God has some sort of intention for me then let it be. If God isn't there but fate is, what does it matter? But if I had free will I would do what I feel I would do, as in the latter and the former.

#14 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:42

View PostProphet of the Pimps, on 1 May 2007, 07:55, said:

if god effects it then how is it free?

You are free to do whatever you want until 'Judge' orders you to get into jail . If you understand what I mean.

#15 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:34

Being an atheist I believe complete and total free will within the laws of science. however, with the absolute bizzareness we call quantum theory and hyperspace theory, we can do basically anything you want. Even go faster than the speed of light.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users