I have 3 questions regarding Normal/Bump maps:

1) What is/are it/they?

2) How does it work?

3)How do i create them?

#2 thinimus

<Custom title available>

• 918 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 19:44

Bump and Normal maps are a form of texture mapping that are for lighting purposes instead of coloring.

They are used for rendering minor geometric detail on polygon surfaces, mostly relief.

Bump maps are 2D images that represent simple topography or just height. Each pixel represents a point of elevation.

Normal maps are also 2D images, but instead of elevation, each pixel represents an angle of direction. Think of each pixel as being a panel that is tilted in a particular direction. (However, height data can also be interpreted as well, so a Normal map can also perform the functions of a bump map).

When you render put this information put to use, you can make an imitated surface behave more realistically under lighting. The idea is that you can simulate complex detail without having to use an enormous amount of polygons and therefore much more computing power.

In C&C3, you see these procedures in effect as little things like rivets, gravel, seams, treads etc.

The downfall is that the closer the camera is to a Normal/Bumped surface, the less realistic it looks.

In order to create them, you have to use software that can take generate Normal maps from an object's geometry.

Edited by thinimus, 05 May 2007 - 19:47.

#3 Vengence

Professional

• Project Team
  • 341 posts
  • Projects: Silent Dawn VI: The Dark Return, Sigma Invasion

Posted 05 May 2007 - 19:52

Allow me to demonstrate:

No Normals
Posted Image

Normals On
Posted Image

EDIT: I forgot to mention that to create normal maps there are several ways: One way is in 3ds where you take a super high poly model (8 Million seems adequate) and somehow have 3ds wrap those details into a normal map onto a low detail model. The other easier way is to use NVidia's DDS tools for Photoshop and convert a texture to Normal Map.

Edited by Vengence, 05 May 2007 - 20:01.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Friends look out for one another

#4 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 05 May 2007 - 20:11

Thanks.

But Rade did explain it on MSN^^. Thread close pls.

#5 Slightly Wonky Robob

Not a Wonky Gent.

• Administrator
  • 9333 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 20:36

on request of thread starter

:D
Posted Image
F O R T H E N S
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users