Religion

79 replies to this topic

#76 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 18:16

Religion is fine to an extent. If a religion forces me to believe or constantly bothers me to believe I wouldnt believe it. There will always be fighting or argueing on religion. As long as man\woman has a brain and is able to use it people will always have diffrent opinions on almost everything unless forced not to have them.

#77 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:44

View PostWaris, on 7 Jun 2007, 19:09, said:

I do not rule out the possibility of it, but they are not born to obey purely on animal instinct alone. Our brain is so advanced we have our own 'humanly' instinct that we do not share with any other species.

I agree with that .

#78 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 06:26

@TPAM: what about aleins? evolution does not provide any way to define a distinct boundry between man and ape, therefore some apes may have a human level of thinking.

@Abs:

1. Science *can't* predict everything, and therefore the existance of divine intervention cannot be disproven, nor can it be proven.

2. Science *can* predict everything, in which case it also means there's no such thing as 'free will', since all human actions are predictable. Even if predictability lies in a small subset of actions, the result of any given event will still be predictable.

Stop living in the Newtonian 1700's(No offense intended). We already know science can't predict everything. However, if the list of things that science can't predict are very small, we have suceed in chasing God into a corner where his powers are limited to a point where he/she doesn't make a difference.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#79 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:25

Quantum fluctuation allows basically every action to happen. The corner we´ve chased god into is a quite luxury one.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#80 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:04

However, if the list of things that science can't predict are very small, we have suceed in chasing God into a corner where his powers are limited to a point where he/she doesn't make a difference.

View PostGolan, on 8 Jun 2007, 17:25, said:

Quantum fluctuation allows basically every action to happen. The corner we´ve chased god into is a quite luxury one.

Indeed, Golan is pretty right there. These minute actions have a lot of influence over,, well everything. And if science can't explain it and, hypothetically, they *are* god's doing, then he has the ability to make and break us.

I forget the name of the theory, Anthropic somethingorother (cant be bothered reading through the book atm to find it), but a particular theory regarding the start and end of the universe explains certain things to be the way they are simply because if they weren't, we wouldn't exist to be able to investigate them.

I've probably butchered the proper explanation of it because it's a theory well beyond my own grasp. If you want to learn more about it, a good starting point is reading Steven Hawkings 'A Brief History of Time'.

My thinking is 1700's? Cool, because the sciences back then still hold just as many truths as they do today. Please tell me, besides those two inevitable conclusions, what other conclusions could there be?

We could infinitely predict things to infinitely more precise accuracy, but it'll never be 100%, and thus, would never infalliably rule out the influence of God, although this doesnt prove Gods existance.

Point I'm trying to make is a Religion need not be centered around a divine entity, and if you look to the past to see some of the acts conducted in the pursuit and belief of science, some of them are just as bad as those conducted by Religious identities. Religion is just another scapegoat excuse for people to do immoral things.
Heh,, anyone would think I like US sides,,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users