Religion

79 replies to this topic

#1 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:32

What does religion bring out in people?

I will just post a snippet to get discussions going, when i have more time i will expand my arguments.

Organised religion has caused more deaths than any other human creation. Organised religion means that the Middle East is a melting pot. Organised religion caused the Crusades, The Troubles (Northern Ireland) and the English Civil war.

Just a short group of events.

Religion gives reason for unabashed evil and discrimination against other humans.

#2 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:39

I don't mind religion. If people want to believe what they do, then fine with me. None of my business.

However when they organise themselves and start trying to push their way into other people's lives, that's when I say stop. You don't want my philosophies imposed on you, neither do I want yours.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#3 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 14:21

I fully agree.
I don't mind religion, it's important that people have their belief but as soon as they organise and try to impose their ideas on others, they basically fuck up the point of religion, because in my opinion, religion has to come through realisations one makes himself. That's how I came to it. I'm sceptic if people just blindly follow what their religious leaders tell them. These leaders, since they are nothing but humans themselves, could be corrupted and therefore be able to abuse their followers to realise their own aims whilst justifying it with "God's will"

Edited by Rayburn, 23 May 2007 - 14:22.

#4 Athena

Embody the Truth

• Gold Member
  • 2672 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 15:08

Religion can offer people hope and comfort.

I fully agree with the posters above me, that people are free to believe what they want, as long as they don't force it (or its laws or bits of it) onto other people and so on. Religion and government should be seperate.

#5 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 15:29

So the consensus is that organisaations are the force for evil but people arent?

Why was it called the "Opiat of the masses".

Nevermind, i was wondering if anyone who regulalry participates in organised religion would defend the idea, or should every person prech alone?

#6 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 15:43

i dont care for religion either,
believe what you want though i dont see why you all have to go to the same place every sunday to do what you could do in the comfort of your own home.

Posted Image

#7 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 15:56

I think everyone should believe whatever he thinks is the best thing. Religion is such a personal thing, there shouldn't be leaders and institutions to dictate what their followers have to believe. As far as this doesn't break any laws or hurts others, I pretty much don't care. The best possible religion is one that is different for everyone and that has no ambitions in spreading. This religion would be acquired by nothing else than self-realisation and would fit better than anything made for masses. The best thing is that you could even believe in science then if you fancy that.

Edited by Rayburn, 23 May 2007 - 15:58.

#8 Jazzie Spurs

[Pantsu-Dan]

• Project Team
  • 4073 posts
  • Projects: Commanding the ECA 33rd Ground Assault Team.

Posted 23 May 2007 - 16:31

I think its only a business, "u enter here, You pray, but you pay a tax"
:D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImageBlack Lagoon OST
Posted Image

#9 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 17:07

Dauth, are you an atheist?

I don´t mind organised religion and don´t see any reason to defy it. What caused all the deaths religion gets blamed for were ideologies, not believes.

@Opiat for the masses
Well... ever been at McDonalds? Movie theaters? Election campaign events? Clubs?Destruction Derbies?
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#10 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 17:27

I am an atheist, but in being one i have never felt the need to join a group of atheists and wage bloody war on people who believe in God.

Do you not find it objectionable that a young child is told that unless they believe in God they will burn in hell for eternity, and that this Islamic/Hebrew/Sikh/Hindi/Atheist friends unless they convert will also be punished. You tell me that indoctorination is right?

#11 Golan

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 18:03

As long as it´s just a believe and not an ideology they live (i.e. project their metaphorical believe on the not-so-metaphorical world or bodies of infidels)... I don´t mind. I´ve been told enough bullshit by scientists, atheists, agnostics, theists, street vendors... the list is endless and I can´t spend my days blaming them for all the evil in the world.

Edited by Golan, 23 May 2007 - 19:05.

#12 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:09

I don't really care.

#13 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:49

Imo its the meaning of life .

#14 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:32

You guys say what you want, I'll just keep on beliving in my religion. Its not like I gripe and complain about Athiesm .

#15 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:52

I'm an ignosticist. Meaning, I think the question of whether god exists or not is without relevance or meaning because it has no verifiable consequences.

Religion is strictly a thing for the human mind - for the individual, and an aid for us tiny people living in this frail and crazed world. If you think you can do without, then that's fine. Whatever you believe in, it's fine. Organized religion is fine, although it tends to include individuals using religion as an excuse to push their ideologies over on others or enforce something.
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#16 Futschki

Duh!

• 2835 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 17:04

well I am supposed to be muslim coz dad is ... but I dont really care ... i am half atheist ... i believe in God coz there is nothing that prove that God doesn't exist but I dont 100% believe in him coz there is nothing to prove that he exists .... but I dont care what's the others religion as far as it doesnt interfere with my life
Posted Image

#17 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:06

The meaning of life is finding your meaning and place in the world. Placing your life in the hands of another is extremely dangerous.

#18 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:16

I don't mind religion really. As long they don't try to get me involved, force me to practice me or bother with it. I'm going to train Scavanger Crabs to attack religious nuts that somehow manage to find my house at the edge of the Atlantic forest.
Posted Image

#19 DreadNot

Decider of Fate

• 1065 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:41

Religion to me just isn't logical. I rely on logic, and so far it's gotten me where I've wanted to go, so I'm sticking with it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

"Big or small, home is home. Even if there's nothing left of it."

#20 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:27

Relig-ions are Rl2+ particles, the doubly-positive charged variety of the relig atom (chemical symbol Rl). They're very unstable in large groups, but despite this they seem to attract each other if enough are gathered together. In this case, some will absorb electrons and become negatively charged Rl2-. The more that clump together though, the more Rl2- is formed, and eventually the negative repulsion will gain the upper hand and the clump will separate, repeating the process until there are no more relig atoms left.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#21 Athena

Embody the Truth

• Gold Member
  • 2672 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:29

;) Funny and contains deep thoughts.

#22 Golan

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:51

Now if it just wouldn´t be a double edged sword describing atheism aswell...

€dit
Just started reading the main story of this weeks DER SPIEGEL. Are there really some of these "Bright" numbskulls out there? :???:

Edited by Golan, 26 May 2007 - 11:55.

#23 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:06

Everything has two sides. Though all try to mask it, there is evil afoot in each and every mind, body, and spirit.

Religion has nothing to do with death. Interpretation of it does. Religion was never the cause of any harm, it was the people who follow it.

People cause harm to others, not a belief. And therefore, I support religion as well as atheism, I just disapprove of some of the stuff people can get away with blaming on religion.

Anything with a mind is not without sin, all must do for themselves before they do for others. ANything without a mind is free of sin, and this includes religion.

#24 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:44

My favourite situation to explain things.

A person with a terminal illness in hospital makes a miraculous recovery,,, everyone says 'Oh thank God!' for the turn of events, since he was responsible for some miracle of chance occuring.

Then a perfectly healthy person dies from an inexplicable series of events.

Nobody blames God.

God says to treat others how you would be like to be treated. I know, as a Military man, on deployment people will want to kill me.
I treat others the way I would like to be treated, with respect, dignity, trust, and those people treat me the same back.

When someone then wants to kill me, am I doing their God's bidding by killing them?

Edited by Commander Abs, 31 May 2007 - 05:49.

Heh,, anyone would think I like US sides,,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

#25 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:11

View PostAllStarZ, on 26 May 2007, 03:06, said:

The meaning of life is finding your meaning and place in the world. Placing your life in the hands of another is extremely dangerous.

In my opinion it isn't , since its my choice to put my life in what direction I want , not other peoples decide to it but God , I believe its God's words not humans' so I not walk in a path of a human being but the God's .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users