should ppl be allowed to watch this? See Stinger foreword

36 replies to this topic

#1 Warbz

IRC is just a multiplayer notepad.

• Project Team
  • 4646 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:45

Stinger Edit: The link below contains graphic imagery from a horror film. Be advised that it could shock some viewers. For your own sanity I advise you not to watch it but as this is a topical discussion it should remain open.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ROg7m4qPC00

Seriously. DO NOT watch if u r at all easily scared, or under 18.

its from SAW3.

I think its sick, and isnt at all suitable for so called 'entertainment'

Edited by Stinger, 12 June 2007 - 04:23.

Posted Image

#2 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:49

Why shouldn't people be allowed to view such content? There's a reason the rating system exists. You have no right to tell others what they find entertaining. Therefore, my vote goes: Yes. People SHOULD be allowed to watch it, hell, they should be allowed to watch whatever they damn-well please however wrongly oriented.

#3 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:56

People should have a choice to watch or not. They give warnings on movies for a reason. I watched "Last King of Scotland" and it ain't exactly kid friendly.
Writing Thread

#4 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:05

I haven't watched it, but I know what to expect, and I'm fine with it. It's called choice.

SAW 3? Got nothing on the Al-Jazeera (sp?) news.
Heh,, anyone would think I like US sides,,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

#5 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:18

Well to some people its entertaining. To me its sick and disgusting. But people should have a choice in what they watch you cant censor everything or sugar coat it. Some movies these days like horror movies go to far for some people but just right for fans. So my answer is yes they should be allowed to watch what they want.

#6 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:21

I say yes, if they are sick and twisted like that.

#7 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:46

And don't go labelling the people sick and twisted either. Perhaps their enjoyment, but you know what? To some it is sick and twisted for us peeps to like blowing people up with hordes of tanks. Personally? I like a bit of extra gore with my popcorn. If Black Hawk Down were dipped in a tasty, sugary barbecue sauce, I wouldn't appreciate it neraly as much.

#8 Scramble

Visitor

• 41 posts
  • Projects: None, so far

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:00

Solo Wing said:

To some it is sick and twisted for us peeps to like blowing people up with hordes of tanks.

It's called Shockwave. :D

But seriously, (we were actually discussing this topic in my Writing class several days ago) it's basically the old rule of "follow the money." People want to see this, we'll wrap it up in a film roll, give it to 'em and charge $9.00, popcorn extra. Hell, we'll make money off of it. It can't be that bad, can it?

As for my opinion, I've read that deep in our brains, when we were first evolving, there was a primal urge to see something gory. Eons have gone by, but it's still there. Since killing is (thankfully) illegal, seeing it on big screens is the next best thing. The viewers are basically taming their urges to see guts, guns, and gore, and I have no problem with that.
Posted Image
^ Thanks to Sic for the sig

#9 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:09

Now that last comment I highly doubt. Unless you are saying I am more primitive than my father who pukes at the sight of gore... Such a trait is certainly not present in everybody. And I can guarantee that some people only watch such horrific pieces due to peer pressure.

#10 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:14

Horror films are interesting due to them being completely unrealistic, not due to the gore.

Posted Image

#11 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:16

Hollywood is making horror movies more then ever for the money. Since horror is the new big thing every director is gunna try to suck it dry until it gets old. This raises contreversy and immoral movies thats sole purpose is to scare you into delight with violence and gore it sickens me to what people call entertainment. Hollywood has sickened me they are mostly immoral people who scam off everything to make a qiuck buck.
Also I never knew that about the brain. Also I dont care about violence it will always be in the human nature to be that way so seeing it in movies games is ok but exagerating it to a disgusting point is not. So having a choice is easy but making the right one is hard.

#12 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:01

Aslong as nobody forcing you to watch it , its ok to watch it with free choice . If peoples like it thats their choice and would be allowed to watch it much as they like .

#13 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:46

Just another splatter. I preffere the "subtlety" of Alien1 over such crap (IMO), but hey, if someone has fun watching it...
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#14 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:24

^ true. I didn't look into this but it's probably nothing more than a generic splatter horror to make fun of when watching it with friends. True horror films scare because they are mysterious like Alien or The Birds.

#15 RaiDK

I have an Energon Axe. Your argument is invalid.

• Gold Member
  • 4107 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 13:22

or Doom 3 and FEAR :D

Thems games are fun BECAUSE they're scary.

Edited by RaiDK, 12 June 2007 - 13:22.

View PostMasonicon, on 17 Oct 2009, 13:44, said:

According to Conspiracy theories in internet, sci-fi and fantasy are real!

#16 Scramble

Visitor

• 41 posts
  • Projects: None, so far

Posted 12 June 2007 - 13:38

Solo Wing said:

Now that last comment I highly doubt. Unless you are saying I am more primitive than my father who pukes at the sight of gore... Such a trait is certainly not present in everybody.

Sorry, not meant to offend. :D

What I meant was that there is a signal that triggers interest in violence when something bloody is seen. It's presence is stronger than in others, but it's there. Personally, movies like 'Saw II' and 'Grindhouse' creep and gross me out, but if other people like to watch that, I say go for it.

It's part of evolution. We're not primal just because some people see gory movies, just like we're not primal because we still rely on walking.

As for Doom III and F.E.A.R...

Like Rayburn said, it's what we don't know that scares us. I remember seeing 'Signs' a few years ago; when they showed the alien walk by down the street and the kids were watching, I paused it and laughed.

Games like 'Doom III' are fun for the thrill that the fright that ensues. You hear the creatures, but they certainly aren't there. Fear games are like roller coasters, in a sense.

Edited by Scramble, 12 June 2007 - 14:49.

Posted Image
^ Thanks to Sic for the sig

#17 amazin

E-Studios resident XBOX360 (not computer) player

• 1483 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:55

i think its kinda messed up how people enjoy watching developed characters that they can relate to being killed in the most brutal and violent ways, like the movie hostel where people get seduced and killed with power tools for entertainment of paying customers...

it sickens me

#18 Hobbesy

Discount White Person

• Gold Member
  • 3752 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:22

Solo Wing, on 11 Jun 2007, 22:46, said:

And don't go labelling the people sick and twisted either. Perhaps their enjoyment, but you know what? To some it is sick and twisted for us peeps to like blowing people up with hordes of tanks. Personally? I like a bit of extra gore with my popcorn. If Black Hawk Down were dipped in a tasty, sugary barbecue sauce, I wouldn't appreciate it neraly as much.

You take things far to litterally.

#19 Overdose

Nice Guy Syndrome

• Gold Member
  • 4146 posts
  • Projects: SWR Projects

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:36

It's just a movie, it's not even realistic. No one's really getting hurt. Let's get over this before the people that want to ruin the game industry decides to this to all forms of media. Don't feed the zealots, they'll bite your hand.
Posted Image

#20 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:53

Maybe the question shouldn't be "should people be allowed to watch horror movies as entertainment?", but "should horror movies exist?"

I'm not taking sides on this matter, just trying to stimulate a direction.

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#21 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:42

Uh, yes?

#22 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:43

Better yet whats your opinion on horror movies it sorta opens up alot more room on the disscussion.

Edit: Solo wing beat me to it.

Edited by Thinker, 15 June 2007 - 04:43.

#23 Areze

Gnurf Gnurf Gnurf

• Project Team
  • 2143 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:27

Like what was said earlier people should have a choice and if they like splatters, then there should be splatters on the market. I'm not a big fan of horror. I think it's too cheesy really. Of course there aren't too many movies I like. I am partial to some high-quality war movies though. I haven't seen any in a long time though.
Writing Thread

#24 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:10

Major Nuker, on 15 Jun 2007, 2:53, said:

"should horror movies exist?"
Erp...what? :P A horror movie may be distastefull primitive bullshit but when this is enough to claim something not to be worth existing, a good portion of human culture (all of it, not just western or other specific ones) is ready for waste disposal.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#25 AllStarZ

Pretentious Prick

• 7083 posts
  • Projects: Pricking around Pretentiously

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:00

One must experience basic emotions, or you'd be living in a bubble.

However as to the Saw series, I'd rather cut my chest with shards of the broken DVD of Saw 1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users