Racism?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Scramble

Visitor

• 41 posts
  • Projects: None, so far

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:16

Why do some people consider it wrong for a white man to drop the N-Bomb but when a black (I don't like the term African-American -- what about white Africans and black British?) person utters the word, no one seems to mind? Is it a privilege for them, or what?
Posted Image
^ Thanks to Sic for the sig

#2 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:32

Heh,, seen this one before,,,

It's the implications behind the word. I heard story of a couple blokes who used to call each other c--t in friendly gesture. Say it to anyone else and it's generally offensive. This transposes into any situation you can think of.

Plus, a group of people commonly referred to by a particular name would come to use that name, even when dealing with ignorant people who may know that group by no other name.

To specifically address the N-Bomb, there's no superiority imposed saying it between two black men,, but a white man to a black man has the racist overtones of old.

Something to think about,,, in Highschool I had a nickname which was a racist term for our indigenous population because I looked like one of them. I'm not, but i had the same features. I was never offended, but people around me were even though they weren't the target of the word.

The N-Bomb doesnt cut to the heart of a white man like it does to a black man.
Heh,, anyone would think I like US sides,,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

#3 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:33

No just becuase a few african americans say it doesnt mean all them say or like it. That word was used to put down there people and if you hear one of them say it then talk about what there people went through tell them to shut the fuck up. That they are just contributing to racism rather then trying to abolish it.

#4 Scramble

Visitor

• 41 posts
  • Projects: None, so far

Posted 12 June 2007 - 13:23

But just because a black person says it, does that make the word any better?
Posted Image
^ Thanks to Sic for the sig

#5 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 13:37

View PostScramble, on 12 Jun 2007, 23:23, said:

But just because a black person says it, does that make the word any better?

Because it will never carry the racist overtones born by it being said by a non-black.

If an Indian or Japanese or Russian or Afghani or whatever said it, it'd be just as bad as a white man saying it. The offence is derived from it being said by a non-black person, since it was a word born from people who believed they controlled black people.

Edited by Commander Abs, 12 June 2007 - 13:38.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

#6 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 17:12

Then where does it become right to call a white guy a cracker or something with similar offensive connotations?

#7 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:01

View PostSolo Wing, on 13 Jun 2007, 03:12, said:

Then where does it become right to call a white guy a cracker or something with similar offensive connotations?

It doesn't, but once again it's only offensive if you're offended. If somebody called me a cracker I'd just laugh at them, since I really don't find the word offensive. If someone called me tassie white trash I'd be a little bit PO'ed,, but if you really wanted to offend me call me gay with a hostile overtone to your voice.

Try calling a Japanese guy n***** and watch him just get confused.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

#8 Thinker

Amateur

• 129 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:10

Off topic: commander abs your so smart and well opinionated its hard just to have a conversation or debate becuase of the ideology and words you use and you know so much on politics and history and so does solo wing but hes a blunt one. Just a thing I admire and thought id comment on. :dope:

On topic: I agree if i called an asian a rice jockey it would offend him but if i called him cracker it wouldnt. So certain words hurt certain people.

#9 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 15:20

View PostScramble, on 12 Jun 2007, 6:16, said:

Why do some people consider it wrong for a white man to drop the N-Bomb but when a black (I don't like the term African-American -- what about white Africans and black British?) person utters the word, no one seems to mind? Is it a privilege for them, or what?

Because white dudes dominant ones . Racism for sick persons , for both of their enjoyment and ideas .

#10 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 15:36

Commander, that's where I have to say you are wrong, which I do hate to do because I generally agree with you. But if I say "nigger" or "nigga' in any context to anybody and the typical black guy is listening, I get thwomped in the face.

If I walked into a classroom and was like "Whatup my niggas!" I'd probably get a one-way trip to the dean's office, but if a non-white guy did just the same, he'd get off with a "please don't do that or say that word" which in fact happened.

If I were to walk into a room and said "Whatup crackaz!" I'd also get a one-way trip to the dean's office, and I am sure you see what I'm getting at here. The majority is getting shit on for being the majority and that's about as right as the minority being shit on for being the minority.

In the mid-century in the US, it was parades and marches for equality, and now, instead of a level playing field, the tables have been turned and it is once again superiority in the opposite context and it is now me and the select few others arguing for equality. Racists will be racists, but it is becoming intolerable from anybody's mouth, not just Joe and not just Jose.

#11 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 16:22

Ahh yes the principle that you cannot discriminate against the majority. but of couse if the minority attack us it's 'cultural'.

Im with solo on this one, fortunatly it doesnt affect me yet, but if it does im sure i'll post in fits of anger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users