Reasons why the M1A3 would still be Generals timeline relevant.

73 replies to this topic

#51 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 21:36

View PostPeople's Liberation Army, on 18 Jun 2007, 13:15, said:

We know Rangers are using M-16s becuase of the Cameo and the 3 round burst.

The Abrams is supposed to trump the Cold-War T-series becuase it was built to last and as a defence, not like the T-series where it's design was to be able to field massive armies and charge the Abrams, casulties be damned.

Lmao: "You don't know that the Rangers use M-16s besides by two cameos."
I guess you agree with me, except that it HAS to be M-16s.

No, Abrams was designed to be the next step up from the M-60, like the T-80 to the T-72, like the Leopard 2 to the Leopard 1, like the Challenger to the Chieftain, like the Leclerc to the AMX-30.

If you noticed, I don't think they would make such impressive ERA for "casualties be damned" purposes, that is, if you read my whole post (Yes, I know, it's like 5 pages long).

Plus, tanks aren't supposed to be for defensive purposes only, there's a reason why they put in the Textron Lycoming 1500HP Gas Turbine.

Also, what part of my post are you replying to with this?
Posted Image

#52 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 00:29

Okay, from the novel Eddy wrote, I think it should serve as a reminder to us all that different ideologies go into making tanks. Smooth bore vs. Rifled. Turbine vs. Diesel. It really doesn't matter in the scheme of things. Just know that the tanks you see in games are portrayed differently for balance reasons. Don't take what Reborn or some other mods have done to the Abrams as the gospel truth. If you like the Abrams, or the Challenger II, or the Leopard, that's great, but don't go comparing virtual reality, with real life. Two totally different things, and they should be kept that way, end of story.

Regards,

Nuker
Posted Image

#53 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 19:40

Re the M1 Abrams in Shockwave...I think that the M1A2 would be more fitting than the Crusader, but I respect the Shockwave team's decision to be original (same with the AH-64D Apache to the Comanche).
I'd like to clear up some misconceptions about the M1A2's capabilities. First, the smoothbore gun. The M1A2 uses 120mm DU sabot rounds, which are probably the best anti-tank rounds out there today. The M1A1/A2 has DU armor plating (the only MBT to have such armor), making it very resistant to enemy fire. Finally, the gas turbine has several major advantages over diesel. First, it can use any fuel, rather than just diesel. Secondly, it allows the Abrams to have a top speed of over 65 mph-damn fast for something weighing 68 tons. The gas turbine engine is also much quieter than a diesel, and more reliable.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#54 Prophet of the Pimps

Masters of Booty Strike Force

• Gold Member
  • 11369 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave

Posted 29 June 2007 - 19:52

you forgot that its a gas guzzler. in the event of your supply line getting busted those tanks will no more useful then a rock and they seriously lack air lift mobility. it was originally suppose to be airlifted by a medium sized cargo plane but it cant and needs a C-5 minimum for transportation so in the event of conflict in which there is no friendly nation around the Abrams would be a seriously liability to your war efforts. Thats why the USA is looking towards the smaller and more mobile FCS system.
Never underestimate a Resourceful Idiot
Posted Image

#55 narboza22

Regular

• 189 posts
  • Projects: nada

Posted 29 June 2007 - 19:55

Considering that the M1 was made to fight a war in Europe where there would be many friendly countries with airports and seaports, I don't see how that is a drawback.
Posted Image

#56 laserjet

Semi-Pro

• Project Team
  • 297 posts
  • Projects: Zero Hour Unleashed - CC Untitled - CnC Revoultion

Posted 29 June 2007 - 20:05

I agree fuel is a non issue, regarding deployment.
Posted Image Imagination is the best Science

#57 Rayburn

People-Hater

• Gold Member
  • 4802 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 20:12

View Postnarboza22, on 29 Jun 2007, 21:55, said:

Considering that the M1 was made to fight a war in Europe where there would be many friendly countries with airports and seaports, I don't see how that is a drawback.

Nowadays, it IS a drawback because the M1 DOESN'T fight in Europe.
In addition, I don't see why it should do so in the near future.
Today's stereotype of the enemy is no longer communism.

#58 narboza22

Regular

• 189 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 20:18

The M1 did fine in Iraq. Yes there were some situations where it out ran the supply train, but part of that is due to the lack of Iraqi opposition slowing them down. But ultimately it did fine, especially considering that it was not made with desert combat in mind.
Posted Image

#59 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 20:27

View PostRazgriz 1, on 29 Jun 2007, 15:40, said:

Re the M1 Abrams in Shockwave...I think that the M1A2 would be more fitting than the Crusader, but I respect the Shockwave team's decision to be original (same with the AH-64D Apache to the Comanche).
I'd like to clear up some misconceptions about the M1A2's capabilities. First, the smoothbore gun. The M1A2 uses 120mm DU sabot rounds, which are probably the best anti-tank rounds out there today. The M1A1/A2 has DU armor plating (the only MBT to have such armor), making it very resistant to enemy fire. Finally, the gas turbine has several major advantages over diesel. First, it can use any fuel, rather than just diesel. Secondly, it allows the Abrams to have a top speed of over 65 mph-damn fast for something weighing 68 tons. The gas turbine engine is also much quieter than a diesel, and more reliable.

Thank you for pointing out what I stated in my "novel" to quote Nuker, but then again, I can't blame anybody for not reading it, it's like 10 pages long. Also, 65mph is a rumor (i guess i'm doubting you), but seriously, i don't think a tank can go as fast as a humvee (humvee top speed is 65mph, no wonder the Hummer 1 isn't sold in America to the civilians anymore lol....). By the way, your not right about reliable, too much heat, so there's always reliability problems, diesel is probably the most reliable internal combustion engine that we have in existence (that is mass produced), and also, eh... diesel is pretty quiet (if you make th engine right), i mean, IIRC, from futureweapons, one country used diesel engines instead of nuclear power for submarines because it was quieter (this was like from first episode), Also, heat signature>noise levels nowadays, and what has a larger heat signature, a truck engine, or a helicopter engine?

Also... the Leopard 2 has multi-fuel diesel, which can run on most sorts of oil based fluids as well, and it gets better gas milage.

Also, for the europe/M1 thing. Eh, if we were fighting a better army in the middle east, we would have our fuel trucks obliterated. I mean ,c'mon, first hour, the Abrams come through, troops delibrately set up very little resistance, then four hours later, a convoy of fuel trucks comes up the road, and i mean, you can kill fuel trucks will bullets (50 cal), but it's doubtful that you could kill a Abrams with RPG unless you hit it in weak spots (which are very few and very small) or from the top (which is neigh impossible with an RPG). Seriously, you can brin gan M1 abrams to it's knees if you take out it's mobility.
Posted Image

#60 narboza22

Regular

• 189 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 20:38

View PostEddy01741, on 29 Jun 2007, 15:27, said:

and also, eh... diesel is pretty quiet (if you make th engine right), i mean, IIRC, from futureweapons, one country used diesel engines instead of nuclear power for submarines because it was quieter (this was like from first episode)

Diesel subs use batteries when they go silent, not their diesel engines. Those things can be heard for miles.

Also, for the europe/M1 thing. Eh, if we were fighting a better army in the middle east, we would have our fuel trucks obliterated. I mean ,c'mon, first hour, the Abrams come through, troops delibrately set up very little resistance, then four hours later, a convoy of fuel trucks comes up the road, and i mean, you can kill fuel trucks will bullets (50 cal), but it's doubtful that you could kill a Abrams with RPG unless you hit it in weak spots (which are very few and very small) or from the top (which is neigh impossible with an RPG). Seriously, you can brin gan M1 abrams to it's knees if you take out it's mobility.

That would only work if the supply train was left completely unprotected. Even if you got away with it once, the next time the logistics would be covered with everything available.
Posted Image

#61 DerKrieger

Hillbilly Gun Nut

• 1758 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:53

Diesel engines are dirty, nosiy, and smoky, which again, exposes a tank since it can be heard or it's smoke sighted long before it can. The advanage of the turbine engine is that it is relatively quiet (Iraqi tankers called the Abrams "whispering death" in the Gulf War), and gives the crew the advantage of "speed on demand" unlike a diesel engine which must work itself up (through gears)to high speed. In addition, having to transport/supply less diesel fuel is a good thing, since if I'm not mistaken, jet fuel weighs a hell of a lot less than diesel fuel.
And yes, the Abrams can go extremely fast for short periods of time...they had to put a governor on the engine as it would burn out if it went its top speed. Hell, I've heard of an M1A1 going at over 55MPH on a nearby road pacing a car.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."-- George S. Patton
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#62 Axel of Sweden

<Custom title available>

• 739 posts
  • Projects: Operation Garbo

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:38

Ín the Generals timeline the crusader has already replaced the M1, as USA, frontline MBT,

the Crusader is smaller lighter, can be airlifted, got equal firepower

125 mm gun

Turret mounted XM312 (not seen in game but i promise it would be used)

May got a coaxial MG aswell

More armor around the engine compartment

Faster

View PostRazgriz 1, on 30 Jun 2007, 3:53, said:

Diesel engines are dirty, nosiy, and smoky, which again, exposes a tank since it can be heard or it's smoke sighted long before it can. The advanage of the turbine engine is that it is relatively quiet (Iraqi tankers called the Abrams "whispering death" in the Gulf War), and gives the crew the advantage of "speed on demand" unlike a diesel engine which must work itself up (through gears)to high speed. In addition, having to transport/supply less diesel fuel is a good thing, since if I'm not mistaken, jet fuel weighs a hell of a lot less than diesel fuel.
And yes, the Abrams can go extremely fast for short periods of time...they had to put a governor on the engine as it would burn out if it went its top speed. Hell, I've heard of an M1A1 going at over 55MPH on a nearby road pacing a car.

I know the Turbine engine is qouiet, but its, immensly exspensive, reqouires, alot off maintiance to work

And its only run on certain fuels,

the diesel is twice as cheap and can run on viritualy anything,

Turbine engines are only affordable by countries like USA and the old USSR, wich got fuel in plenty,

and diesel engines are more for smaller countries, like European countries etc
Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 15:32

View Postnarboza22, on 29 Jun 2007, 16:38, said:

View PostEddy01741, on 29 Jun 2007, 15:27, said:

and also, eh... diesel is pretty quiet (if you make th engine right), i mean, IIRC, from futureweapons, one country used diesel engines instead of nuclear power for submarines because it was quieter (this was like from first episode)

Diesel subs use batteries when they go silent, not their diesel engines. Those things can be heard for miles.

That would only work if the supply train was left completely unprotected. Even if you got away with it once, the next time the logistics would be covered with everything available.

Right, forgot about dieso-electric :stickattack2:

Anyways, a supply train on a road isn't very well covered. THere's a couple of humvees, but i mean, a couple of insurgents with RPGs could take out a lot of the supply line easily, it's not like the fuel trucks would be surrounded by tanks (if they were, they would need even more fuel trucks lol).

"Diesel engines are dirty, nosiy, and smoky, which again, exposes a tank since it can be heard or it's smoke sighted long before it can. The advanage of the turbine engine is that it is relatively quiet (Iraqi tankers called the Abrams "whispering death" in the Gulf War), and gives the crew the advantage of "speed on demand" unlike a diesel engine which must work itself up (through gears)to high speed. In addition, having to transport/supply less diesel fuel is a good thing, since if I'm not mistaken, jet fuel weighs a hell of a lot less than diesel fuel.
And yes, the Abrams can go extremely fast for short periods of time...they had to put a governor on the engine as it would burn out if it went its top speed. Hell, I've heard of an M1A1 going at over 55MPH on a nearby road pacing a car."

THermal imaging? Jet engine vs. truck engine....

Also, eh, the Abrams accelerates slightly faster than say, a leopard 2 (the leopard 2 has 9 less tons on it and runs on a 1500hp multi-fuel diesel engine). Also, you think they would waste jet fuel on abrams? Seriously, jet fuel is very refined, they're not gonna spend so much money to send in jet fuel for that thirsty turbine. Also, it's not the weight of the fuelt hat matters, it's the volume, if diesel weighed twice as much as jet fuel for a given volume (twice the density), they could both still be packed in a fuel truck, and I would presume that diesel engine would have more kcals inside it to burn as well. THey put a governor to make the abrams go at a max of 42mph on road (i emphasize road), I have no idea about the governor (hey, if you want tanks going 55mph, that's more fuel burned...)

Seriously, most anybody will agree that until you can get fuel trucks to have as much armor as tanks, gas turbines wil still be a weakness of the abrams. It's thirsty, it's hot, and requires at least quadruple the maintainence of a diesel engine, but then again, US can afford that kind of thirst and maintenance (but not most others, USSR switched out the gas turbine on the T-80 on the T-80U model for a similar power diesel, because of bad performance in the cold, and bad milage. Also, the T-90 doesn't have a gas turbine either).
Posted Image

#64 Nerdsturm

Amateur

• 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 16:23

A couple of insurgents can blow up some fuel trucks, but they aren't ever going to be able to blow up enough to cause serious shortages. Also, most countries are modernized enough that there are large quantites of fuel avalible to the civilian population, and therefore avaliable to any army taking ground quickly (although the defending army would try to burn all fuel reserves that they couldn't bring with them there would almost certaintly be a decent amount left behind). Anyways, the US army would still use an incredible amount of fuel even if the abrams used none at all, and since army has a larger budget than almost any country's entire military costs are not that much of a problem.

#65 narboza22

Regular

• 189 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 18:56

I know the Turbine engine is qouiet, but its, immensly exspensive, reqouires, alot off maintiance to work

And its only run on certain fuels,

the diesel is twice as cheap and can run on viritualy anything,

That's not true. The turbine engine on the M1 will run on diesel fuel, kerosene, any grade of MOGAS (motor gasoline), or JP-4 or JP-8 jet fuel. That is a significant logistical advantage considering you can refuel your tanks with gas from other armored vehicles, any of your airfields, or any local gas station you come across.
Posted Image

#66 Eddy01741

• 2223 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 15:38

How many airfields are you gonna come across in the mideast? I think it's a better advantage if we have tanks with smaller gas tanks that have a longer range even with less fuel (that means less frequent logistics convoys, and longer range as well, as wel as smaller logistics convoys).
Posted Image

#67 narboza22

Regular

• 189 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 18:39

How about everyone of your forward airfields that you set up to keep your planes and helicopters in the sky, or any of the enemy airfields that you overrun?
Posted Image

#68 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 01 July 2007 - 21:11

If you set up a forward airfield, you'll still have to lug fuel there. If you capture an enemy airfield, good chance the defending troops set the fuel reserves on fire.

#69 narboza22

Regular

• 189 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 21:35

Well, if you set up an airfield, you have to get fuel there anyway to keep your aircraft going, so I'm not sure what your point is. Not everyone practices a scorched earth policy when retreating, so don't take it for granted that there is going to be nothing left behind :loels:
Posted Image

#70 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 01 July 2007 - 21:42

View Postnarboza22, on 1 Jul 2007, 23:35, said:

Well, if you set up an airfield, you have to get fuel there anyway to keep your aircraft going, so I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is that even though they can refuel at friendly forward airfields, you will still have to bring fuel there, so you will still have a vulnerable fuel convoy. There goes your logistic advantage. Plus, if you refuel your tanks with jet fuel, you will, well, be refueling your tanks with jet fuel, which your jets also need, so you will need to bring in fuel more often if you want to keep either your jets or your tanks (or both) from becoming multi-million-dollar bullseyes.

Not everyone practices a scorched earth policy when retreating, so don't take it for granted that there is going to be nothing left behind :loels:

I think it is fairly likely that a bunch of nationalistic/religious extremists will try to deny their infidel enemy the use of their supplies. And even though they may not succeed in destroying it all, they will have succeeded in destroying a portion.

#71 narboza22

Regular

• 189 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 21:49

If you are setting up an airfield, then just fly the fuel in. No need for trucks or convoys. Taking Iraq as an example, the US is still destroying Iraqi military supplies to keep it from being used as IED's, so some significant amount of supplies must have been left behind.
Posted Image

#72 Nerdsturm

Amateur

• 104 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 22:31

Flying in enough fuel for an army would get expensive, and air transports need be avialable for other tasks. However, as narboza implied, "nationalistic/religious extremists" tend to not be very effective at waging conventional wars, and unless they began destroying their own supplies before an army like that of the US even attacked them, it's unlikely they would be able to hold out long enough to fully complete the job.

#73 ShockBlast

Visitor

• 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 18:57

Pimps russians are europeans:)

#74 E.V.E.

Femme Fatale Of The Army

• Gold Member
  • 6564 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 19:06

You just revived an Old Topic.
The last post has been on 1 Jul 2007, 23:31.

Please refrain from posting in old Topics without any good Reason in the Future.

Thank you.

Posted Image

- E.V.E.

Thread Closed

Edited by E.V.E., 22 March 2008 - 19:06.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users