What is beauty?

63 replies to this topic

#51 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 15:34

Yeah, i agree with General, a lot of girls are beautiful, and then once I actually meet them, a lot of them are just jerks, that's a turn off for me. Personality>Looks anyday (although I get attracted to people who look good first, I know I'll settle with the one with the "perfect" personality in the end).
Posted Image

#52 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 16:33

I don't see why people are so upset about finding there's a certain recurring proportion in the facial features of beautiful people. It's no secret that certain looks have always been more attractive than others, defining in numbers what creates a beautiful face (the template of a beautiful face, since certain traits will always be more endearing to one beholder than the next) doesn't change anything at all.

Different personalities is, in the end, what creates true attraction between humans. And you can't completely define what makes one personality more attractive to one personality than the next.
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#53 step2ice

Semi-Pro

• 267 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 22:14

View PostE.V.E., on 19 Jun 2007, 12:35, said:

Everybody thinks diffrent of Beauty and that is perfectly fine, otherwise some People on this earth would never get a Partner / would be loved.

- E.V.E.

Woooaaaw, hold on there a sec.
Isn't this a bit naive.
If I take what I've experienced so far in life, there are three different kind of people.

The ones who come together because they're darn attractive.

The ones that come together because one of them seeks something they don't have -> money, beauty or talent (which often comes in combination with the first).

The ones who already gave up and are desperately lonely seeking a partner. -> contact sites etc.

Love or advantage, guess whats the most common.

There is no " 100 % Beauty " ...

Link removed. -CodeCat, that is what I understand under 100% beauty. And I assume there is no male in this community who would call that girl ugly.

Ok, so Ithought in times of the internet it would be possible to show a video with a naked woman (not even seeing private parts). But I was proven wrong.
So here is the girl in a picture with clothes on.

Posted Image

Edited by step2ice, 25 June 2007 - 22:47.

#54 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 22:56

You are too cynical and too subjective.
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image

#55 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:31

Just to tell you, that girl doesn't look ugly, but isn't exactly my definition of being attractive/beautiful either. Once again, beauty in the eye of the beholder. But still, I have to say to Solowing, if you took the 100 "hottest" women in the world, or something like that, and made them dead, cold, and naked, not everybody will choose the same person, even if theyve never seen any of them in their lives. Plus, there are some things that numbers can't define. So what if two people have the exact same purportions (impossible, I know), but they have different eye color and hair color, that alone can make somebody find one more attractive than another.
Posted Image

#56 Athena

Embody the Truth

• Gold Member
  • 2672 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:06

View Poststep2ice, on 26 Jun 2007, 0:14, said:

Ok, so Ithought in times of the internet it would be possible to show a video with a naked woman (not even seeing private parts). But I was proven wrong.
It's called read the Forum Rules.

@ also other posts
Why is this only about women? Can't men be beautiful too? *Sighs*, sometimes I really dislike being on forums where most members are male :popcorn:

#57 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:50

I belive you answered that question yourself when you stated that most members on this forum are male. But my post was gender-neutral.
Posted Image

#58 Athena

Embody the Truth

• Gold Member
  • 2672 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:08

I didn't mean you specifically to be honest. Gender-neutral is fine.

In response to your answer, then I ask those specific male members to look beyond (sexual) attraction. Beauty is not equal to that.

Edited by Blaat85, 26 June 2007 - 09:03.

#59 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:32

@Blaat i have had conversations where people have said, and please bear in mind im not certain i agree.

Women have spent the last 200 years getting prettier while men are all still as ugly as sin. And i can understand the logic. The vast majority (not all) of women do dress up and put makeup on etc. Men don't notice and if they do notice they wouldn't care is none of the women were wearing makeup. Women do it to be the "best" in the group/club/class.

Men don't suffer this neurosis half as badly, someone calls me ugly or even fugly i'll smile jokingly call them a bastard and go back to my drink. Do it to a women and all hell breaks lose. (this is mostly apparent for students).

In short men rarely bother trying to look 'good' those who do are desparate or already do look good. Women all try and thus women get more attractive while men are still all fugly.

#60 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:47

Have you ever considered that this quest for 'beauty' is driven by not just peer pressure, but survival pressure as well? In a world where most bosses are still male, a woman is almost required to look good to people to get a decent job. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who would pick someone over another with equal skills just because he thinks she's good looking.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#61 General

Insufficient Title

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:39

So what should ugly girls do ? Its a fact there is girls which neither beautiful with make up or as natural , they should stay jobless ? Yes its true beautiful womans always have more luck on life about finding job or finding a rich man etc but its not totally true allthe time .

#62 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:48

It is what is known as an evolutionary trend, im not saying women who are not considered attractive should not be given jobs, just that they aren't.

Im stating facts not opinions in my above post

#63 step2ice

Semi-Pro

• 267 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 14:14

View PostMathias, on 25 Jun 2007, 22:56, said:

You are too cynical and too subjective.

Well, I'd say I gained my experience.
It's always a point of view.
I'm the kind of guy who likes a wild and not foregone life.
I have a few friends who live quite the opposite or usual life.
Still the same girlfriend as they were teenagers, well payed job, a house, car, never bothering with stuff that could peril their peace of mind and thats it.
I had conversations with them and I was stunned who small minded they actually were.
Sure, if you live in a world that is 5 square miles large, then you never really opened your eyes or catched a taste of what life really is.
I was down the road of adventure and sadness a few times, so I made up my mind and looked for answers and that is when you learn and see.

And beauty may be subjective, male or female, but nature has it's rules and regulations, nature isn't fair. And some human beings are darn good looking and it's is only natural that you will accept that as beauty. You can hate those people but deep inside you know that beauty isn't really deniable and at some level the same for everybody.
And as the topic starter implied, symmetry has a lot to do with it.

The thing I can't stand is all this dismissive, consolingly talk from people who are not in the same situation as the people they're talking to. And that is where all this "everybody finds somebody" crap is coming from.
Sure you can find somebody, but isn't it sad that some people have to forcefully rely on one person in their life because they have no chance of ever getting that women they really adore because they're just ugly!?
One real good buddy of mine was in the exact same situation and it really broke my heart to see him fight without the slightest chance. While it took some good looking idiot one day to get a date with that girl. Eventually he gave up, and now has a girl which he found through a contact site.
He doesn't love her, but he says: "better that then lonely".
Again, thats nature.

So I may be cynical, but there is nothing wrong with that when you can back it up with your own experience.

#64 Athena

Embody the Truth

• Gold Member
  • 2672 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 21:32

View PostCodeCat, on 26 Jun 2007, 11:47, said:

Have you ever considered that this quest for 'beauty' is driven by not just peer pressure, but survival pressure as well? In a world where most bosses are still male, a woman is almost required to look good to people to get a decent job. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who would pick someone over another with equal skills just because he thinks she's good looking.
This is true, and I personally find it is, if you do not mind me saying, bullshit.

View Poststep2ice, on 26 Jun 2007, 16:14, said:

The thing I can't stand is all this dismissive, consolingly talk from people who are not in the same situation as the people they're talking to. And that is where all this "everybody finds somebody" crap is coming from.
Sure you can find somebody, but isn't it sad that some people have to forcefully rely on one person in their life because they have no chance of ever getting that women they really adore because they're just ugly!?
If they think they love that person but that person will not get to know them better solely for the reason the person finds they look ugly, then they really have to wonder whether they would want to be with such a person. Just my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users