Strike Fear Into the Heart of Evil

5 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:34

So this is something I've been racking over my brain a good month or two now,, all I can conclude is that "Striking fear into the heart of evil" is either a paradoxical, hypocritical statement, or it results in a vicious cycle. When I'm typing this, it might become a bit disjoint, bear with it, it's how my brain works :D Also,, wherever i put quotes around stuff (like "evil") I mean it's a subjective opinion, and I'm just writing down the common thought in my western-world. The same argument could still work if you completely flipped the meaning of all the quotes.

Everyone wants peace, everyone would love peace, provided it was their definition of peace (heh). Thanks to this, people come to odds over some issues, and arguably, one side is the "good' side, and one side is the "evil" side. People talk about preventing others from doing wrong things, whether it's threats of jail sentences or whatever, but inevitably people will still try because they think they can beat the system. However, people would probably be more loathe to try if they knew they'd undoubtedly be caught.

On a flipside, this increases peoples 'want' to break the rules and do the wrong (or right) thing, since people are generally incredibly independant and don't like to be dictated to,,, thus trying to bring about peace may inadvertently cause more chaos. Yet people would still seek, and even demand, peace.

Specifically, I think about today's "war on terror" (and it'd be nice if this could stay non-political). To summarise very briefly,, "evil" people attacked during 9/11, and the victims demanded action for vengeance, stability, and in their minds, peace by bringing those responsible to justice or otherwise. In order to achieve this, things were put into motion to make any such coordination more difficult.

Even before anybody was charged/invaded/killed under these new acts, people were already concerned about the far-reach of these things, laws, juristictions, the military, whatever. To relate a story here at home, the Indian Doctor Haneef charged and released here in Australia realised a couple opinions in my sharehouse, one specifically being "What's wrong with giving someone a SIM and telling them to never use it",,, bringing into question the systems brought in to bring about "peace" and prevent people from doing "wrong" things.

And people have been right, there have been abuses of power, as seen in the media, there have been "wrong" things done by the people given these powers.

Now, lets make a little assumption. There's undoubtedly people with these powers who are "good" people, who wouldn't abuse it and who would do the right thing, and who *are* doing the right thing,, and inevitably "striking fear into the hearts of evil", since their tasks are to bring justice to those who would do evil. Yet at the same time these people are stifled by the people they seek to protect due to their well-founded belief that these authorities are doing the "wrong" thing. Further, people start to question "When am I going to be charged for some simple act",, then paranoia kicks in and those who wanted to bring about a 'good' world are now percieved as 'wrong' and 'evil'. Specifically, people fear the power that these authorities have to quite literally destroy lives, in *exactly* the same way those "evil" people in 9/11 had the power to destroy their lives. Yet that power is what lets them bring "evil" people down.

OK,, thats the end of the real world example, just wanted to try and relate it to something people understand.

To summarise what I'm curious about, in a more traditional, simple world, a world with the common person, evil people who would try to benefit off the common's expense, and the good people who would protect those people, is it actually impossible for evil to be "stamped out" because people fear a power which can destroy all evil more than evil itself? Ergo, when all the evil people are destroyed, the common people will just find more evil people to destroy until nobody is left?

Meh,, end of my rantings, back to late-night work :(
Heh,, anyone would think I like US sides,,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

#2 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 19:16

What do you mean by "destroying" evil people?

Anyways, what you are describing seems to me rather like a problem of lacking control and transparency. People usually don´t really know their leaders - they are told the basics of the curriculum vitae, can listen to some of their meaningless words, get to know the polished version of the candidates´ world views and that´s about it. Would you willingly give someone you actually don´t know full power over your life, freedom, health and death?

EPA Official: You've gone mad with power!
Russ Cargill: Of course I've gone mad with power! Have you ever tried going mad without power? It's boring and no one listens to you!

Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#3 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:06

Well,, destroyed could mean a lot of things. One is to literally kill, another would be to imprison, another would be to deprogram/rehabilitate someone or their personality,,,, basically anything to stop an "evil" person doing evil things. I probably meant to say destroying evil, not destroying evil people, was 3am local when i wrote that stuff :P

Would you willingly give someone you actually don´t know full power over your life, freedom, health and death?

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't?

In the face of guaranteed results would you?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

#4 Golan

<Charcoal tiles available>

• Member Test
  • 3300 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:03

View PostCommander Abs, on 4 Aug 2007, 3:06, said:

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't?
Neither of them, TBH.

View PostCommander Abs, on 4 Aug 2007, 3:06, said:

In the face of guaranteed results would you?
Nope. IMO there´s no reliable guarantee on such a level.
Now go out and procreate. IN THE NAME OF DOOM!

#5 Mathias

we dont need i to c

• 3831 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:22

Humans are irrational creatures. I would never ever entrust another human being I don't know with total control of my life.
Lifes a shit.. deal w/ it..its impossible to have a good day wow fuck this gay earth much??
Posted Image
Ask me questions about audio technical matters or DAWs!

#6 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 23:56

Nope. IMO there´s no reliable guarantee on such a level.

Humans are irrational creatures. I would never ever entrust another human being I don't know with total control of my life.

Quite right, but on the same token people entrust unknown others to protect them when they are threatened (i.e. the police, the military).

If someone has a crime purpotrated (sp? I mean if someone is a victim of) against them, they would trust and more importantly *expect* the police to bring the criminal to justice.

When criminals get smarter and more capable, enforcement services need more power to control them and protect people, however people will also become more concerned that these powers will be wielded against them. Stopping short of saying it's a hypocritical view point to have, but it's almost like people want to be "safe" without letting people have the power to make them safe, because they fear giving that power will make them "unsafe".

Yet ironically, when something bad does happen, people would ask "How could those who protect us let something like this happen?". Maybe those who fear power will always be victims of it?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users