PHASR rifle
TRAD
So what do you think?
Go Go Go!
Pick up your AK-47s
Posted Image
TIGERS ON ROUTE!

Einstein had said it
"I don't know with what World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

Posted Image
official at 21st January 2007

I don't know from where I got this one
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

#2 Alias

Member Title Goes Here

• 11705 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:22

They look like bloody toys.

Posted Image

#3 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 23:47

Alias, on 20 Aug 2007, 4:22, said:

They look like bloody toys.

Yeah, definitely, you could make the enemy laugh to death by making them think that you were wielding a laser gun (as in laser tag esque) or a water gun with the phasr.
Posted Image

#4 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 00:02

Yeah that's just ridiculous. Sure they are non-lethal, doesn't mean they have to look like something out of star wars. I'd rather my gun look intimidating, not childish.

#5 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:13

...to deliver the patented TASER X26 waveform

They patented a waveform?? Wtf?? That's like Harley patenting the sound their engines make.

As for the PHaSR, I'm not impressed. It's a half-assed attempt to overcome the issues associated with developing their (the military, n original intent, an at-range lethal laser rifle (thus the comments about previous ones being too harmful at close range and ineffective at long range).

As far as non-lethal weapons are concerned, give me rubber bullets anyday.
Heh,, anyone would think I like US sides,,
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

#6 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 02:07

Rubber bullets won't necessarily work in every case. Perp has a gun, you have a gun with rubber bullets. You fire and hit, but the adrenaline of the fight keeps him from being incapacitated and he fires.

PHASRs and TASERs are surefire ways of paralyzation so long as you can hit em with the thing.

#7 TehKiller

Silent Assassin

• 2696 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:32

well if a perp does fire after being shot by rubber bullets that shoot him in tha leg (NOTE: a shot in the head with a rubber bullet actually is lethal)
Posted Image

#8 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 20:12

But even if the perp is down, he can fire. if ou shoot his gun arm he can still use the other and if he fires a gun correctly with two hands then the situation is worse.

Incapacitation with a taser or phasr is far more effective.

#9 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 23:34

From the article:

...The laser light used in the weapon temporarily impairs aggressors by illuminating or "dazzling" individuals, removing their ability to see the laser source...

They can still fire their weapon, albiet without aiming properly. And if I was really in a killing mood, regardless of whether it was rubber bullets or a PHaSR, I'd have the fortitude to fire back at anything.

Maybe a bit too "Eye for an Eye", but I really don't understand the humanitarian take of trying to apprehend someone without harm, when that person is intent on killing *someone*. As far as I'm concerned, point a live loaded weapon at me, thats as good a reason as any for me to kill you, before you do it to me, because in my books if you point a loaded weapon at someone, it's because you want to kill them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

"WITH THE POWER OF THE MELON MY MY HEAD I WILL DEFEAT YOU! GREEEEN MELLLLLLLLOOOONNN!"

#10 Eddy01741

E-Studios Uber Computer Geek

• 2223 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:07

Maybe if they make them look more like real guns, this'd be okay, but i mean, it looks like a fricking toy gun made of plastic.
Posted Image

#11 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:16

I would like to agree with Eddy. Toys don't scare anybody.

Now to retort Mr. Abs's point: You say you would have the fortitude. Really, in all actuality, stun weapons are more effective than they are in video games, and I've seen them be pretty effective. Imagine a sudden temporary blind confusion out of nowhere and then people yelling at you to put up your hands. You're not going to fire blindly because the second you drunkenly raise your gun, it isn't going to be a laser in your eye, but a 9mm from a pistol.

But I do agree that if the perp is intent on killing, he/she should be given no mercy with non-lethal weapons. But the incapacitation guns would still be useful for robberies, etc.

#12 Commander Abs

Professional

• 398 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:17

You say you would have the fortitude. Really, in all actuality, stun weapons are more effective than they are in video games, and I've seen them be pretty effective.

Sorry, I'll make my statement a little less general. But for one, I'm not sure where the comparison to video games came from, my statement about my fortitude came from my own experiences and understanding of capabilities, and those of people I know.

I guess the angle I was coming from is that someone with something to lose will be very quickly dropped by one of these non lethal devices. But, put an agitated person in a situation where they would have nothing to lose by randomly firing in any direction. Plus such a person could be affected by something else to decrease their succeptibility to a non-lethal method i.e. under the effects of drugs, a severe mental condition or anything which may result in the body ignoring the effect of the non-lethal weapon.

A pretty poor example, but a flashbang *mostly* blinds, deafens and distracts someone. What effect does that have on a near-blind, near-deaf man toting a gun at whatever comes near him?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ailestrike said:

#13 Whitey

<Custom title available>

• 8743 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 20:21

Point is: Pray and Spray when you're blind isn't going to get you anywhere but hell. If your body is ignoring the effects of them, then you are either blind or deaf at the time and that isn't a good thing if you are trying to murder somebody.

#14 ̀̀̀̀█

Metal box!

• 563 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:02

Several things to say......
1. Yes you can patent a wave form. Kinda like patenting the radio. Kinda.
2. They have the PHASER BS thing in a much smaller size, there is absolutly no reason for it to be that damned big. Its utterly pointless. IIRC they showed the weapon on Futureweapons, all it is is a laser that was refracted and made to spread instead of being so concentrated. And it was mounted on an M4.
3. About the guy who was half blind/ half deaf. Flash bangs do not only make you blind and deaf, they also cause you to lose all sense of balance. It screws with the mechinism your body uses, I forgot what it was called. It is in your ear, and it accounts for your balance. The grenades bang screws with it and temporarily makes it so you have little balance. Mix that with being blind and deaf and your bad guy is going down.
4. About complications due to drugs. If you were drugged up enough to not feel a rubber bullet, chances are that you won't feel a real one either. While the real one can incapacitate you, you still won't feel it. And for tasers, they make you spasm, no matter what state you are in. Its forced. Unless you don't have nerves, you will spasm. And if you don't then you can't move anyway now can you?
5. And for the TASER THAD thing. They don't look do bad. It would just be a stand, standing there. You walk by and you go zap. Ineffective against someone who isn't retarded, but it could be funny/ cheap to hunt with.
I need sigs.
Yay first comment! Thank you Comr4de!

Posted Image
If I were an alien from a distant world, unhampered by the endless void of space for whatever reason, I would stay the hell away from these primitive, monkey-like creatures from Earth who are too busy slaughtering each other over subjects such as religion or ethnicity, who pollute their one and only planet and who praise mindless pop-culture personalities more than scientists and philosophers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users