[RenAlert: A Path Beyond] RA Crystallized

No replies to this topic

#1 Grendies

Visitor

• 33 posts
  • Projects: [Mapper Guild ~ Renegade Mapper]

Posted 16 November 2006 - 21:16

This map is being designed for the C&C Renegade mod "Red Alert: A Path Beyond".

Map features will include:

~ 600 meter by 900 meter playable zone
~ 100 meter high flight roof
~ Temperate climate
~ Both above ground and below ground playable areas
~ Command & Conquer mode (Victory By Points At Time Limit or Destroy The Enemy Base)
~ CTF mode (Capture The Flag)
~ Assault mode (Attack/Defend The Complex)
~ KOTH mode (King Of The Hill)

~ Base buildings, including Barracks, War factories, Helipads, and Service Depots
~ Base defences, including Pillboxes, Turrets, AA Guns, Flame Towers, Tesla Coil, and Sam Sites
~ All infantry units
~ All vehicles, including flying units

~ Sniper tower
~ 25 tunnel entrances, including entrances inside the Soviet cave and the entrance inside the sniper tower.
~ Small bunker
~ Underground complex and lab
~ Vehicle and infantry tunnels
~ Many sniper locations
~ Two bridges
~ Health Purchase Terminals in the underground complex (if possible)
~ Health spawns in underground complex if health PTs aren't possible

Still to add:
~ Modeling:
~~ Some detail work inside the complex
~~ Actual Allied base
~~ Actual Soviet base
~ Commando Editor
~~ Trees
~~ Bushes
~~ Spawn points
~~ Underground complex health PTs (if possible)
~~ Health spawns in underground complex if health PTs aren't possible
~~ Underground complex doors
~Other
~~ CTF mode (Capture The Flag)
~~ Assault mode (Attack/Defend The Complex)
~~ KOTH mode (King Of The Hill)

Skills To Learn:
~ Alpha Blending. Haven't been able to get it to work, need to look at the tutorials again.
~ VIS. Good skill to have, and I might not find someone who's willing to VIS a very large map with lots of hills...
~ Door Making. Never tried it before.
~ Door Adding. Never tried it before.
~ Ladder Adding. Haven't been able to get it to work, need to ask some people who know.
~ Creating .mix files. Forgot how.
~ PT Adding. Never tried it before.
~ Whatever goes into making CTF. Never tried it before.
~ Whatever goes into making Assault. Never tried it before.
~ Whatever goes into making KOTH. Never tried it before.

Now for everybody's favorite part: screenshots!

If a screenshot is labeled "(obsolete pic)" it means something that would be visible has changed since that shot was taken. This can be anything from "I've widened the ladder shaft a little bit since this shot was taken." to "Since this shot was taken I've added more tunnels, flattened some of the hills, smoothed out a few features, and added a bridge." Some pics are tilted to provide better lighting (don't ask...).

[Birds Eye View, terrain and bridges are see through to show tunnels. Blue and red boxes are about the size of the Allied Barracks and Soviet Barracks respectively]
Posted Image

[View From Below, showing most of the tunnels (obsolete pic)]
Posted Image

[Outside View, showing the cliff that the Soviet base is inside of (obsolete pic)]
Posted Image

[Early picture of Soviet lab inside of the underground complex (obsolete pic)]
Posted Image

[Perspective Birds Eye View, showing underground complex and lab (obsolete pic)]
Posted Image

[Outside View of the opening in the roof of Soviet cave]
Posted Image

[Inside View of the Soviet's cave the main vehicle tunnel and two infantry tunnels showing (west wall of cave)]
Posted Image

[Inside View of the Soviet cave (north-east corner). Chopper entrance up above, chopper tunnel (largest of the three tunnels shown), and two infantry tunnels. Red box is about the width and length of the Soviet Barracks and is 2 meters tall]
Posted Image

[Bird's Eye View, showing map border. Vehicles and infantry won't be able to go beyond the purple area while outside the caves. The height limit is 100 meters (about 10 meters above the highest point that infantry can get to). I have no idea why I forgot to make the bridge solid for this screenshot (obsolete pic)]
Posted Image

[Upper floor of the sniper tower]
Posted Image

[Upper part of the ladder inside one of the tunnels; Wire frame is visible to better show cave dimensions (obsolete pic)]
Posted Image

First release will be C&C mode. Once I've released the first public beta I'll get to work on patches as quickly as I can. Once most of the bugs have been addressed I'll work on the other game modes.

------------------------------------------------------------

Operation Crystallized

A few days ago one of our spies returned to us with detailed information on a project the Reds are working on.

If completed, this project could mean the end of us all, but if we were to gain control over the prototype we just might be able to use it against the Reds. Destroy the nearby Soviet base and secure that laboratory.

One of our boys got a little trigger happy and blew our cover by taking out a low flying Chinook, so chances are they know we're here...

Attached to this briefing is a photo of the secret weapon.

Posted Image

------------------------------------------------------------

A little teaser for the map. The textures look awkward, I know. They're temporary placeholders that will most likely still be there in the first beta release. New bridges will be included in one of the patched versions instead of the first release due to time constraints; most likely the new bridges will look something like the one in RA_ClassicZama.

Here's the original of the picture above.
Posted Image

The map will have to be remodeled in certain areas so that the bases will fit, but it shouldn't be too much work. At the rate I'm going -- and assuming I can get the ladders and buildings to work -- I should have the first public beta out in a few days.

Three days left... *hurries*

EDIT:
Ah, what the heck, have some more eyecandy. :loels:

[Underground Complex: Power Room]
Posted Image

The secret weapon is the first prototype of the solid-state laser that will some day be used by the Brotherhood of Nod's Obelisk of Light. The Soviets, always looking for unorthodox weapons with hard punches and knowing that the Allies were searching for ways to get around Tesla technology, began research in the application of laser weapons on a large scale. The potential of smaller applications of the laser technology such as hand held weapons, man-sized/tank-sized base defences capable of instantly burning a hole through an Allied APC, and fences with low-material cost would not be realized until the Second Tiberium War by the Brotherhood of Nod.

This implies that, in the grand scheme of things, the prototype is either destroyed or relocated before the Allies have a chance to duplicate it. Most likely all the notes and blueprints were taken by the still secret Brotherhood of Nod and the prototype destroyed by a Black Hand demolition team.

Here's a panorama of the outside. It's not a perfect display of how things are laid out, but it's close enough to give a good idea and looks nice. :dope:

Posted Image

Jordan: I'm sorry that I haven't gotten a copy of the map to you yet, I've been extremely busy lately and keep missing you on MSNM when I do have spare time. :S

The map is going to be a little late (I was busy today tutoring and post-thanksgiving shopping), but the good news is that pretty much all that's left is dropping in the buildings, adding plant life, and VIS editing (which I may simply do a quick VISing and do a proper job of it in a later release). Alpha blending will also have to wait until a later release because it would take too much time.

Crazykenny asked me to post some pictures of the tunnels, so here you go. :)

[View from inside the bunker]
Posted Image

[View from inside of the cliff-side tunnel entrance near the Allied base]
Posted Image

[A good view of some of the tunnels near the Allied base]
Posted Image

[Inside of the tunnels near the Allied base]
Posted Image

[Tunnel entrance large enough for some (maybe all) vehicles]
Posted Image

[Inside of the tunnels that are kind of near the Allied base]
Posted Image

[Close up of a large hole inside of one of the tunnels]
Posted Image

[Nice view of the inside of one of the tunnels]
Posted Image

[A good view of the Soviet cave and a number of the tunnels near it]
Posted Image

[Ladder inside of one of the tunnels]
Posted Image

Not sure exactly how long it'll take to finish up the map. The buildings should go quickly, but VISing and adding plant stuff might take a while. If all goes well, the beta release of this map should be finished in the next few days.

Still to add for first release:
~ Modeling:
~~ Actual Allied base Should not take long
~~ Actual Soviet base Should not take long
~~ VIS Not sure how long it will take; might be an hour, might be several hours
~ Commando Editor
~~ Trees Should not take too long
~~ Bushes Should not take too long
~~ Ladder scripts Should go real quick
~~ Health spawns in underground complex Should go real quick
~~ Some detail work inside the complex How much detail I add will depend on how much time I have left. If I finish the rest of the stuff on the first day I'll go ahead and add plenty of detail. If it takes me two or three days to fit that stuff in around my schedule, then I might simply skip on the detail and add it later. Regardless of whether or not I add detail, the main core of the map will be finished before I even look at this step.

Been an extremely busy week for me in the real world, so I haven't been able to get a whole lot done. I have, however, been able to figure how much space the allied base will take up and carve out the space needed from the hill and cliff, and added an infantry bridge near the allied base. I have also gone in and corrected a lot the tunnel entrances, so the problem I was having with funky shading around the holes in the sides of the cliffs should be fixed. There's still one tunnel I need to go in and correct because it doesn't look as good on the inside as it use to.

[View of the area that has been cut out for the allied base]
Posted Image

This is what I have to do before I even consider texturing the map again.
~Add above ground bunker near bridges
~Add tunnel to back of allied base
~Add ladder leading to sniper tower roof from inside
~Add bridge from sniper tower roof leading to tunnel in cliff side
~Add tunnel in cliff side

Not a whole lot, but a little tedious. I should be able to have all that finished before the end of this week unless more stuff comes up to clutter up my schedule.

Edited by Revantheemperor, 30 October 2007 - 14:30.

Posted Image

[[ Γ ]] Grendies

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users