My Research on Worm Holes

50 replies to this topic

#1 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:56

Hey Guys,

Lately ive been really interested in gravity, and have decided to begin researching something that isnt possible atm.

Im researching how to create a worm hole.

Now, as most of you know, worm holes are extremely random, and havnt even been proved to be in existance, but recently studieing gravity I discovered something.

When I asked a professor about gravity, How it occured and such. He took out a plastic sheet, and explained...

"When the sheet, which we will represent as space time, has no mass on it, it is flat, and objects can travel across it in a strait path, But when an object of great mass is located on the sheet... A depression is made, and Objects that come near, Change path to Follow around it."

Now, this gave me quite a clear idea of Gravity, and has Shocked me that it was that simple to understand. Now, as I was fooling around with this idea, I came to the hypothesis, that if an object of great mass was placed on this sheet, the sheet would rip. I tested it with a Plastic sheet and a bowling ball...It did not work, So I Used a 50 lb. Weight, which ripped strait through, and any objects i roled past the area went through it, to another plane.

Now this experiment is impossible to duplicate on full scale, with our current technology, because currently the greatest masses in the Universe are black holes, and since they dont create a rip, only an extreme gravitational pull, They can not create Worm Holes.

I wanted to inform you All of my research, because I look to you all as friends, and hope you can contribute to it.

I hope to one day prove my Hypothesis that Worm holes can be created...Untill then its only research.

Edited by Short Stuff, 08 December 2007 - 05:16.

Posted Image

#2 Nid

Human Being number 80446219302

• Project Team
  • 2501 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:32

Nice logical research, I couldn't have done it better myself, mainly because I'm too lazy, but it makes sense to me. Only thing i feel that is wrong with it is that it seems a bit too simple for this Universe.
Posted Image

#3 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:26

Erm, ok this is high level physics and maths so I apologise if I lose anyone along the way.

The sheet is a 2D representation of our 3D universe, that representation is a 'space' as you stretch the space geometry breaks.

In the real universe we have 4D space-time, where space and time are linked by the Lorentz Transforms, use google if necessary. A huge density of energy is required to bend spacetime in the same manner as mass on a plastic sheet. When this sort of density is formed the result is a black hole.

While a black hole is similar to the wormhole (at least specuativly) I'll let you fly into one before I do, remembering that no information can ever leave the black hole.

#4 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 16:57

A Black hole is nothing like a worm hole. A Black hole is actually an Object, it is matter that is of such extreme mass, that the gravitational pull can even suck in light. It is unkown the size a "Black Hole" is, but it isnt a hole at all, its most likely a planet sized object (Most likely Bigger) With extreme mass.
Posted Image

#5 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 17:56

Right, because of course me having done a course studying gravitation counts for nothing...

A Black hole is a singularity meaning no dimensions from our perspective.

It is characterised by its Mass, (generally over 5 Solar masses), its charge (yes electronic charge) and its angular momentum.

The radius of a black hole is a strange concept, the schwartchild radius is well know as the point where information cannot go from inside to outside. Hence the blackness of the hole.

It is a hole where the spacetime structure of the normal universe breaks down, tbh thats the definition of a wormhole as far as i know.

Edited by Dauth, 08 December 2007 - 17:57.

#6 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 18:20

According to theory, a worm hole would lead to another Plane, Another Universe...If you will.

A Black Hole, from what Our Research can tell, Does not do that, it simply Pulls in anything into its destruction...Possibly even Spacetime, as you have suggested.
Posted Image

#7 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 19:00

What theory? Put forward by who? and funded by which institution?

#8 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts
  • Projects: Americas Rage

Posted 08 December 2007 - 20:45

Fight! Fight! Fight! :P

Ow, reading that hurted my brains.

But according to the Donut theory put forward by the institute of progression of Physics (Iopop) The universe is arranged in a donut shape and a wormhole can allow you to cut through the middle of the donut, to the other side. The problem is matter will get crushed the fuck out of inside due to the entire weight of the universe pushing against it.

Edited by smooder, 08 December 2007 - 20:49.

#9 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:13

There are many Theories to what a worm hole is, the donut theory (Lol) is popular aswell.

I wish to test each theory fully, well...as much as I can on a scale.

And its not a fight, it is just two people with different opinions, and he is actually helping me with my research :P

Donut Theory of a Wormhole
-----------------------------------------------
Posted Image

Edited by Short Stuff, 09 December 2007 - 02:16.

Posted Image

#10 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:40

I've got to ask how much high level physics and maths you know, becuase that looks to me like a space-like vector, however that requires more than infinite energy, and a physicist does not use infinite unless we mean it.

#11 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:12

There actually is a donut theory???

OMG lol I just made it up to show Just how easy it is to come up with a theory. haha.

Edited by smooder, 09 December 2007 - 13:37.

#12 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 15:23

Well there isnt a Donut theory, but what you said sounded familiar, so I went and got a pic to represent it :)
Posted Image

#13 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 20:17

rofl Im a genious on the sly.

#14 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 21:02

You haven't made up a theory, you've made up a hypothesis. A theory is something that is actually supported by experimentational evidence.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#15 smooder

America's Rage Leader

• 1870 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 21:16

oh okay sorry codecat. You may have my genious badge :)

#16 Medve

I thought it's a box

• 567 posts
  • Projects: Cnc: Untitled

Posted 17 March 2008 - 19:55

The very least what I need to accept a "theory", is that we "need" it to explain something else which is unknown. But what you said (@short stuff) is science-fiction, as it's a work of imagination, not a necessity, nor a proved statement. That's what I think.

Medve

EDIT: AWW HELL HOW DID I MISS SUCH A NECROOOOO!!!! WASN'T IT THE 5TH OR SOMETHING?

Edited by Medve, 17 March 2008 - 19:57.

Posted Image

#17 Nakamura

Visitor

• 33 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 19:56

Worm holes and black holes are the most interesting thing for me in phisics. I like this topic.
So if there goes something into a wormhole it'll putted to a kind of centre which has got negative energy.
But what happens if the ship (or whatever) exits on the other side? If it'll be accelerated away from the wormhole than we must say that there must be a negative gravitation. (I don't know a lot of this, I just talk about ideas that your picture gave me).

#18 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 22:29

My idea of wormholes always was, that a wormhole is almost the same as a black hole, so an object with extreme mass and thus high gravitational pull. However, only one "entry" is that, while the other part, the "exit" repells anything. Between the "ends", there is a tunnel which is like a shortcut through the universe, where in the middle, the gravitation is so high, that it would simply crush and munch a space ship....

#19 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 23:25

I await the time when it is shown to be physcially posisble, the only way to travel faster than the speed of light is to be in an area of space expanding faster than the speed of light and this happened in the first second of the universe, (and possibly due to the cosmological constant but thats just an awful thing to explain).

#20 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts
  • Projects: Where parallels meet.

Posted 18 March 2008 - 00:40

They're mght be a slightly easier way to open a wormhole, whch would be something like this;

Since the Uncertainty Principle forbids us from observing things on a quantum scale, wave functions don't collapse and hence all sorts of weird things can happen such as electrons being in to places at once simply because we can't tell which one it's in. This also applies to space time, and it has been hypothesized that tiny wormholes may be opening and closing all of the time.If you could some how get one of these and inflate it with negative energy produced by the Casmir effect, then you'll have two multiply connected spaces(wormhole mouths). You could then "tow" one to where ever you want and you have much faster transportation.Or, if you placed one end next to a neutron star or created Misner space with it, you could have a time machine.
Posted Image
Posted Image19681107

#21 Nakamura

Visitor

• 33 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 13:02

I think that nothing can fall fully into a black hole cause we'll see the object comin closer and closer but it'll become slower too because of the slowing down of time near the object of large mass->so the object needs infinite time to fall into the black hole.
We can't make any expeiments with worm- and black holes this way. What way can we use to see what happens there?

#22 Crazykenny

Eternal Glow

• Project Team
  • 7683 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 13:09

18 Mar 2008, 1:40

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Dr. Strangelove

Grand Poobah and Lord High Everything Else

• Member Test
  • 2197 posts