Mysterious crash

8 replies to this topic

#1 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts
  • Projects: Minecraft, TCMM, sleep

Posted 28 December 2007 - 00:03

OK, so this is a map that will never ever see completion, but still. I've basically used it as a "sandbox" map for a long time, experimenting at leisure and finding out how the WB works, and seeing how far I can go in getting the game to do what I want, but since a while ago I could no longer test it due to a mysterious crash issue I call the "Black Screen of Doom".

Basically, what it does is load the map, then go to an all-black screen with the cursor visible and capable of movement, but incapable of action in-game. No commandbar appears, Escape doesn't open the menu. Alt+tab, Ctrl+alt+del and the Win key all sort of work, in that the cursor reverts to the Windows cursor when it goes over the screens that are opened by these keys, and I can even do things such as start programs from the Start menu but I can only do so blindly as the cursor is the only thing on-screen that is not completely and entirely black. The only thing I can do is Ctrl+alt+del, then close my laptop to go into standby mode, re-open it and end the generals.exe process forcibly. I have absolutely no idea whatsoever as to what is causing this, and this map is the only place I have ever encountered this issue.

If anyone could take a look at it and see what might be causing it, or (perhaps) seeing if they can replicate the error (easy, just go into the skirmish menu, select the map and click play - it's what comes next that's hard), it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to keep on using this map for sandbox and testing purposes, due to the base it provides me with, instead of having to start from scratch.

#2 Kyouko

Formally Iron_Golem

• Member Test
  • 721 posts
  • Projects: To kill any and all conversations

Posted 05 January 2008 - 13:03

I take that it dosnt do this on other maps

#3 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 21:36

No, it doesn't. Otherwise, I'd be posting this in the Game forum as an issue with ZH.

Also: I have re-installed both the game and ShW several times, and it didn't help either.

#4 Ascendancy

Needled 24/7

• 1293 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 22:41

I tried the map and replicated the error you had just fine. I think this is just an oddity in the World Builder, but I was able to control+alt+delete out of it and kill Zero Hour without having to go on standby.

I know I'm not much help because I can't tell you what's wrong, but I did get the problem you did.
Posted Image
Thanks to that awesome signature maker, Cattman2236.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 17:45

If anyone thinks they know what causes this issue from looking in the WB, please post it here, otherwise you don't need to test it since I don't want any more people to experience this error. I guess I'll just go and tinker with the map some, see if I can find out myself. (Reason I didn't do that earlier was I didn't want to screw with my computer too much, and I wanted to see if I was the only person with this error or if someone could find the reason from the WB.)

#6 Kris

<Custom title available>

• Project Team
  • 3825 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 19:42

Thank god i run ZH in windowed mode. I Also replicated the error you just had. Not really sure what's causing this, Perhaps it's the overload of objects?

EDIT: I strangely opened the map fine in ZH, AFTER clearing every objects. I think its the scripting and that green border thing..

Edited by Chris, 06 January 2008 - 19:51.

#7 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:38

View PostChris, on 6 Jan 2008, 20:42, said:

Thank god i run ZH in windowed mode. I Also replicated the error you just had. Not really sure what's causing this, Perhaps it's the overload of objects?

There's less than 1000 objects on the map.

EDIT: I strangely opened the map fine in ZH, AFTER clearing every objects. I think its the scripting and that green border thing..

I thought it might be the border as well, but I cannot change the size of that particular tiny border (there are at least 6 or 8 others that I created accidentally and which I have managed to enlarge to the size of the original border, and 2 or so that are that small. Also, I was thinking it might have something to do with the objects as well - it started after I'd added the Herc and Spectre on the rocket transport in the railyard at centre right. I'm going to see if removing those works. If that doesn't work, I'll see about getting scripts to enable one of the largest borders in case one of the tiny ones has priority, and if that doesn't work I'm stumped unless someone else finds out what it is.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

#8 Short Stuff

The Music Man

• Member Test
  • 1448 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:17

I had this problem with several maps when I tryed to create a continuous Script, like continous napalm to simulate a valcano...occasionaly that would happen.

Are you useing any scripts that may cause that effect?
Posted Image

#9 Strategia

Mwuahahahahahahah

• 3154 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 14:29

View PostShort Stuff, on 8 Jan 2008, 7:17, said:

I had this problem with several maps when I tryed to create a continuous Script, like continous napalm to simulate a valcano...occasionaly that would happen.

Are you useing any scripts that may cause that effect?

Not as far as I know. The last script I added, IIRC, was a "Hold object in place" script on a pair of genpower planes (Herc and Spectre), which should've worked AFAIK since I already implemented a Held script on Hercs and A-10s before, and that worked out all right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users