1364 replies to this topic

#1076 Brad

Quick! STAB YOURSELF FOR SAFETY!

• Member Test
  • 1467 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 23:56

View PostDauth, on 16 Aug 2009, 0:49, said:

Inglorious Basterds 8/10

Tarantino's 3rd best movie but a country mile.

Some of the best characters I've seen in months. Voice acting and excellent subtitles (I enjoyed it since I could translate chunks of the dialogue anyway). The SS Colonel was menacing beyond anything I expected, and when he wasn't he was fantastically amusing. I probably shouldn't admit to laughing out loud to the last 20 mins and the
Spoiler
being enjoyable.

The first two chapters are worth going in for alone, but I can understand why a number of people will not enjoy this film as much as I have. If you liked Transformers 2 you will be disappointed.

Fix'd :P (Title)

And sweet! I've been waiting for this movie since the trailer, it looked brilliant. Nice to see a good review.
You almost did, didn't you?

#1077 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts
  • Projects: Shoot. Chop. Smash. Stomp.

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:01

The Ugly Truth: 8.5/10

Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler make for an excellent pairing, though their characters would have different opinions on that matter. Abby Richter (Katherine Heigl) is a romantically deprived producer in the Sacramento area and control freak. Mike Chadway (Gerard Butler) is a no frills, no-nonsense talk show host that's not afraid to talk about the dirty truth of relationships between men and women.

From reel to reel, this movie had me laughing, if squirming a little, because if I'm to be very honest, this movie does dig a little deep and hits close to home about the things men and women are looking for in each other. Personally, I felt the movie could have done without a few of the choice words that were mentioned in random spurts, but overall I enjoyed the flick.
Posted Image

#1078 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:11

I Love You, Man

"SLAPPIN DA BASS MAN!"

9/10.
----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#1079 Lord Atlantis

I am Iron Man

• 3807 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:56

District 9 - 10/10

One of the "freshest" science fiction movies that has been made recently. It really opens your eyes to how humans can treat other humans ( and in this case, the aliens ) as well as great plot development from the main human and alien character.

Its a great movie, all around amazing special effects. There is some shakey camera cause of how the movie is designed so beware, but it isn't as bad as Cloverfield.

A must see movie :P
Posted Image

#1080 BeefJeRKy

Formerly known as Scopejim

• Gold Member
  • 5114 posts
  • Projects: Life

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:06

View PostDauth, on 16 Aug 2009, 2:49, said:

Inglorious Bastards 8/10

Some of the best characters I've seen in months. Voice acting and excellent subtitles (I enjoyed it since I could translate chunks of the dialogue anyway). The SS Colonel was menacing beyond anything I expected, and when he wasn't he was fantastically amusing. I probably shouldn't admit to laughing out loud to the last 20 mins and the
Spoiler
being enjoyable.

The first two chapters are worth going in for alone, but I can understand why a number of people will not enjoy this film as much as I have. If you liked Transformers 2 you will be disappointed.

I'm guessing this is one for the Pulp Fiction lovers? Also what goes in at first and second?
Posted Image

#1081 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 21:08

Reservoir Dogs above Pulp.

#1082 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 22:44

PF > RD IMO though both are complete classics and fantastic movies in their own right. I'm definitely gonna watch the bastards thingy.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1083 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:23

View PostDauth, on 15 Aug 2009, 19:49, said:

Inglorious Bastards 8/10

Spoiler
being enjoyable.

For the most part, Dauth has summed up my review of the movie, though "bastards" is spelled "basterds". :P

The movie is presented in a fantastic and delightfully artistic format, dividing the film into 5 separate "chapters", and giving each a unique title. The first chapter of which is exceedingly delicious (from the standpoint of entertainment and the style in which the film opens and folds upon itself). The spoken German (at least those morsels I could recognize) were grammatically correct, and the subtitles were excellent. The SS Colonel was portrayed frightfully well as the actor enveloped himself with all the two-faced emotions all of the most loyal Nazi officers possessed.

From a historical standpoint (those who are foolish enough to compare this movie thus), the ending is complete whimsy. From an entertainment viewpoint however, Inglorious Basterds delivers quite well.

9/10
Posted Image

#1084 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 22:47

View PostWarboss Nooka, on 16 Aug 2009, 5:01, said:

The Ugly Truth: 8.5/10
Ok, what base were you trying to get to, to go and see this? And I hope to God you succeeded or I'd just have to cut out my eyes....

Pelham 123 8.51/10

A very Michael Mann film by Tony Scott. Enjoyable but the cinematography was probably better than the acting. Not Travoltas best role, Washington pipped him, though neither had masses to work with. I recommend it as a serious alternative to what Nooka saw. Although anything would be a better bet than a Butler/Hiegle match up.

#1085 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:35

I went to see "The Ugly Truth" for pure enjoyment and entertainment purposes. Gerard Butler is an ace actor, and the supporting cast served up a pleasant and humourous dish of their own.
Posted Image

#1086 Pav:3d

YOUR WORLDS WILL BECOME OUR LABORATORIES

• Project Leader
  • 7224 posts
  • Projects: EC, CORE, ER

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:47

The Proposal

4/10

Most predictable, laughably bad romantic comedy ever. Its just insane how truly unbelievable it is.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1087 General

Rude, but fair

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 17:49

2010 : The Year We Make Contact : 10/10

10/10 actually for the last 10 minutes , it is so incredible, unpredictable, beautiful, rest of the movie is dull but the ending is the best ending I seen until today. Shortly: 10/10 for the 10 minutes.

#1088 Teron

Absinth drinker

• 938 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 19:00

The Blair Witch Project: 5/10
I gave this a neutral rating, because its really a matter of taste. Whether you can close your eyes before totally unlogical situations or it annoys you, just like me.

Personally, I find movies with such endings (wont spoil here for those of you, who haven't seen it, yet |8 ) stupid. It was too much out of the sudden and the fact, that those guys weren't intelligent enough to just follow the river, was very annoying for me.

Edited by Teron, 23 August 2009 - 19:00.

"It's not the cards you have, it's how you play them!" - Gambit (X-Men)

#1089 stevetamis

• 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:19

Hello,
I have seen the movie Transformer 2 last. Its a nice movie to watch. Its a nice action movie to watch. I rate this movie by 9/10.

#1090 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 15:39

Ong-Bak - 6/10

With a description I pick up on FS on this movie being a very violent fighting movie, I naturally had absolutely no choice but to watch it :P . The title, which I thought sounded really badarse for some reason, is the name of a statue, the head of which is missing, and someone has to get it back. Lots of Thai boxing in it, and though the fighting scenes are pretty good, the plot and acting pretty terrible 8| . But I guess that doesn't really matter for a fighting movie, of course. Though not nearly as violent as I gathered from Wiz & Pav, it's still a pretty good fighting movie.
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1091 Mbob61

I may or may not be iron man!

• Project Team
  • 3068 posts
  • Projects: European Conflict

Posted 05 September 2009 - 17:19

Deathwatch - 5/10

A very strange film indeed. Its advertised as a film that " blows the horror genre out of the water" or some shit like that but I'm not really sure i agree. The acting was not too bad from some of the characters.
I hope I interpreted the film right otherwise the whole thing would make very little sense. The name is also very deceiving. With a name like deathwatch, i expected some corny zombie film where the team of protagonists fight against another generic zombie invasion or something like that but i was very surprised to see it couldn't have been further from that.
There were quite a few "WTF" moments however i think its still worth watching for the hidden meanings..

Mike
Thanks to Pav3d for the awesome sigs
Posted Image
Posted Image

#1092 Sgt. Nuker

Greenskin Inside

• Global Moderator
  • 13457 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:37

District 9 10/10

Probably the understatement of the year, but this movie is FANTASTIC. All of the hype is true. If you want a fresh plot and ace acting, go and see this movie for yourself. When people say that you don't know what you're missing if you haven't seen District 9, they're not kidding. For one thing, the setting is a breath of fresh air (even if the air that hangs over this particular country isn't "fresh" so-to-speak. South Africa, not the first place you'd expect, and it's even stated at the very beginning of the movie that this doesn't take place in (Washington) D.C., or New York City, but instead, in Johannesburg. Peter Jackson did a phenomenal job of directing this film, and all of the creative thought that was fused into this movie was, and is, extraordinary. To put it mildly, I was flat out impressed with District 9 from beginning to end. The ending left a lot of questions to be answered, and I hope that it means there will be a sequel some time in the future.

Another thing I should point out is that this movie does make reference, albeit a veiled reference to the way large conglomerate companies keep and run private armies to do their bidding, or to swing things their way. One could also surmise that the MNU's white vehicles mirror that of the UN's. Perhaps this is subject to my own unique views and spin on things, but it's what I gleaned from the film, at least afterwards in conversing with the two other mates of mine I went to view it with.
Posted Image

#1093 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:02

Rose Red - 7/10

A miniseries (2 DVDs, about 4 hours in total IIRC) scripted by Stephen King. The movie is about a huge haunted mansion into which a professor in the paranormal brings a number of psychics to record proof that ghosts exist. Naturally, it soon turns out Rose Red isn't just a haunted mansion but a lot more. I don't want to give up much more, but the movie is not bad and has a few interesting plot thingies. The acting isn't bad at all, especially for a horror movie, and it prefers to rely more on suspense than gore to get the point across. All in all, a good show for anyone who likes horror movies or thrillers.

Edited by Chyros, 07 September 2009 - 06:02.

TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1094 Ghostrider

Duly Appointed Federal Marshal

• Project Team
  • 991 posts
  • Projects: The Pants Party, Irradiated Inc.

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:22

View PostChyros, on 7 Sep 2009, 2:02, said:

Rose Red - 7/10

A miniseries (2 DVDs, about 4 hours in total IIRC) scripted by Stephen King. The movie is about a huge haunted mansion into which a professor in the paranormal brings a number of psychics to record proof that ghosts exist. Naturally, it soon turns out Rose Red isn't just a haunted mansion but a lot more. I don't want to give up much more, but the movie is not bad and has a few interesting plot thingies. The acting isn't bad at all, especially for a horror movie, and it prefers to rely more on suspense than gore to get the point across. All in all, a good show for anyone who likes horror movies or thrillers.

I saw that when it first came out on tv about 5 years ago, and it scared me out of my pants (I don't handle horror films well). There's a sequel called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer if you're interested. :P
Posted Image
AJ is responsible for this signature masterpiece... if you see him, tell him I say thanks.
Posted Image

#1095 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:28

Inglourious Basterds - 8/10

Going to this movie, very aware it met with extremely irreconcilible reviews, I was curious as what was to happen here. As it turns out, its style was almost identical to what I expected of any Quentin Tarantino movie.

The movie is about, curiously, Jews hunting nazis in a small band in France that call themselves the Inglourious Basterds. They are pretty brutal about it and the faint of heart will not like a few of the bloody scenes in it, though everyone else will probably love them. Now, let me start by saying the movie is absolutely very good. Not the best movie ever, not Tarantino's masterpiece, but a very good movie nonethless. One thing I can't stress enough is that except the fact the chapters are in chronological order, which is unusual for a Tarantino movie, everything that happens is somewhat expected for a Tarantino movie. In addition, I must stress that though everything takes place in WW2, the movie is absolutely not a war movie, merely a movie about what would happen if a bunch of certain people would exist at that point in time, and as such the movie is historically highly inaccurate to the oint you can almost say it doesn't have much to do with the war at all. Also, some scenes are IMO just slighly too long - some conversations are IMOm somewhat forcibly lengthened. Nonetheless, IB has plenty of action in the same way that Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs was good, plenty of great dialogue, one or two quite hilarious scenes, and impressive acting, especially from the main antagonist who somewhat carries the whole movie by himself. Music, mostly by - who else - Ennio Morricone, is in some places identical to what Tarantino used for Kill Bill which is somewhat of a pity but on the other hand still extremely appropriate, is excellent. Highly recommended for any Tarantino fans, and just about everyone who doesn't mind a movie being over-the-top :P .

View PostGhostrider, on 8 Sep 2009, 6:22, said:

View PostChyros, on 7 Sep 2009, 2:02, said:

Rose Red - 7/10

I saw that when it first came out on tv about 5 years ago, and it scared me out of my pants (I don't handle horror films well). There's a sequel called The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer if you're interested. :)
Ha cool, I should give it a go - thanks ^^ .
TN

—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1096 deltaepsilon

Delta Operator

• Member Test
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:31

View PostLord Atlantis, on 17 Aug 2009, 3:56, said:

There is some shakey camera cause of how the movie is designed so beware, but it isn't as bad as Cloverfield.

A must see movie :P

I ate prawns (quite a lot too) for lunch the day I saw District 9, and I thought they were the reason I was feeling nauseous while watching the film. I started feeling better towards the end when the camera got better.

Then had pizza for dinner that night. Mmm.
--------------------

The name's Bond.

Covalent Bond.

#1097 Wizard

[...beep...]

• Administrator
  • 9627 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 22:32

View PostWarboss Nooka, on 7 Sep 2009, 4:37, said:

District 9 10/10

Probably the understatement of the year, but this movie is FANTASTIC. All of the hype is true. If you want a fresh plot and ace acting, go and see this movie for yourself. When people say that you don't know what you're missing if you haven't seen District 9, they're not kidding. For one thing, the setting is a breath of fresh air (even if the air that hangs over this particular country isn't "fresh" so-to-speak. South Africa, not the first place you'd expect, and it's even stated at the very beginning of the movie that this doesn't take place in (Washington) D.C., or New York City, but instead, in Johannesburg. Peter Jackson did a phenomenal job of directing this film, and all of the creative thought that was fused into this movie was, and is, extraordinary. To put it mildly, I was flat out impressed with District 9 from beginning to end. The ending left a lot of questions to be answered, and I hope that it means there will be a sequel some time in the future.

Another thing I should point out is that this movie does make reference, albeit a veiled reference to the way large conglomerate companies keep and run private armies to do their bidding, or to swing things their way. One could also surmise that the MNU's white vehicles mirror that of the UN's. Perhaps this is subject to my own unique views and spin on things, but it's what I gleaned from the film, at least afterwards in conversing with the two other mates of mine I went to view it with.

^ this

I am looking forward to seeing those questions answered in District 10

#1098 SquigPie

Forum Pet

• Member Test
  • 1388 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:24

Is Distict 9 really that good?

From the trailers and such, it seemed like a stupid (super high-tech aliens living in slums?) preachy (the Apartheid references are obvious) mess.

Did the trailers do it wrong?

As long as the dark foundation of our nature, grim in its all-encompassing egoism, mad in its drive to make that egoism into reality, to devour everything and to define everything by itself, as long as that foundation is visible, as long as this truly original sin exists within us, we have no business here and there is no logical answer to our existence.
Imagine a group of people who are all blind, deaf and slightly demented and suddenly someone in the crowd asks, "What are we to do?"... The only possible answer is, "Look for a cure". Until you are cured, there is nothing you can do.
And since you don't believe you are sick, there can be no cure.
- Vladimir Solovyov

Posted Image

#1099 Libains

Light up life.

• Gold Member
  • 4950 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 14:29

*Hauls out of retirement with help of shock paddles and lots of Epinephrine*

Had a bit of downtime, so in turn I wasted it watching a pile of films :P

Watchmen:

An incredibly odd film, no disputing that. I remember all of the hype surrounding the film prior to it's release, and thinking about how it seemed all so very meh. I never had high hopes for this film, and was at odds with myself as to whether I should watch it. Looking back, I am now very glad that I did. It's not your average superhero movie. Well, I say superhero, I should really say vigilantes - there's only one character that actually possesses superhuman abilities, the rest are just extremely well trained. Words can't quite explain how this movie goes about putting the world into perspective, but it does a good job. Zack Synder goes for epic again, with his success of 300, but doesn't quite make it. Undoubtedly, this is a good film, with quality acting, quality story, and a different outlook on what the world could have been. But it lacks a certain something, maybe the story is too convoluted, maybe it's too true to the original comic book. It seems to lack a particularly good ending, and you can't help feeling that the world isn't as dark as Snyder likes to show it as - if anything it's a little too eye-opening, and makes you feel as though there's not much hope for humanity. The film has especially been complimented for the character of Rorschach, the one remaining vigilante at the start of the film. In the comics, he is a deep character, with a lot of layers to break down, even if he doesn't actually want to appear that way. In the films, he either does that too well, or they just don't build him up enough - he is interesting, but only in one dimension - despite the two and a half hour runtime, the film doesn't do much to lend itself to the characters, with the flashbacks into their lives incapable at showing them to us as humans. Snyder was very close at creating a great film. Unfortunately, his balance between storyline and character development was too perfectly balanced - a good film needs one or the other to take precedence, even if only a little, but Watchmen does not.

I'd suggest watching the Watchmen, but I wouldn't suggest watching it for the Watchmen, or for what they do. I'd suggest watching it for the action, the intimacy, and the possibility of what the world could have been. It's very good, but I wouldn't rank it up there with the greats of comic book films. 7.5/10

17 Again:

Before I go any further, I will add a disclaimer: I was forced to watch this! This is your pretty stereotypical college romp through happy-go-lucky places, the occasional twist being shown, but nothing spectacular, or that you couldn't have predicted with the help of a our year-old and their sketchbook. Matthew Perry (who seems to be acting only for the joys of acting now, considering how much he's made off Friends) is his usual, down-on-your-luck man, who threw away a career in basketball in order to be with his pregnant girlfriend that he then proposes to. He then spends the next 20 years bemoaning that decision, forcing everyone away from him bar his best friend from high school, an uber geek who is also somehow incredibly wealthy. Bring on a spirit guide, a age-changing vortex, and you have the complicated scenario of him buggering off back to high school to show everyone up and save his kids from their rather useless fates. Bring on basketball with the son, relationship advice with the daughter, throw in awkward love scene moments with his wife (30 years his senior) and you essentially know where the film is going within half an hour. It's a shame, as more could have been done with the premise, but it does a good job of putting Zac Efron slap bang in his prime audience target - hormonal/horny women. A word of advice - if you ever go to see this film with a woman, she will spend more time staring at Zacy boy over the course of this film than she will spend staring at you for the rest of your natural born lives. He does a good job with a limited script, but frankly, his role is 'walk around, show people up, be sensitive, and wear clothes that make everyone want to go out and buy replicas, including the sodding sunglasses'.

If you are male, this movie is one you can afford to miss. If you are female and like a pretty boy dancing around less than in his usual musical roles, and with more body exposed, you should have already bought this. It's decent, but nothing special - bar perhaps Michelle Trachtenberg for the blokes out there, but she has so few scenes they may as well shown a pic of her for thirty seconds at the start, and then removed her scenes to add in more of Zac Efron. 4/10

Harry Potter 6 (The Half Blood Prince)

Anyone that has ever read the books would probably have not been expecting a lot from this movie. At all. Of all the books, it has the least going on in it, and the most backstory and fillers. Honestly, if you'd left those out, it would have been a shorter book than the original. Not to say it wasn't good, but there was very little to take from the book and make a story out of. And yet David Yates has somehow managed to make a two and a half hour film out of it. And what's more, it's a very good one, even if it's not particularly true to the books at all. All of the previous Harry Potter films have been very overwhelming with the amount of info that they try to get across, desperately racing through scenes in order to get it all across in a reasonable time frame. Thus, The Half Blood Prince doesn't suffer. It has time to dwell on issues, and the prevailing one is relationships. Gone is all the dark foreboding from the previous book, and instead in comes a bit of human warmth that helps the viewer identify with the characters a lot more than any other book or film. There are genuine emotions, and genuine characters. And for the first time in six films, it's proof that the leading trio can actually act. What I genuinely enjoyed about this film was about how epic it could be on such a small scale - everything happens in Hogwarts, and even then it only happens in a small few events. The three main characters all have their relationship problems, and that's probably the key feature of this film - not fighting off the dark lord, not huge action packed sequences, but love. In the books it's stated that love is the strongest type of magic, and this movie has proven it right. Instead of being an action movie, it's actually a drama/romance one. It's an incredibly refreshing break from the usual form, and drags personalities out of the lead characters. Harry falls for Ginny, she has a bf but also falls for Harry, insert tensions, back-and-forth moments, and the cruelest interruption by Ron EVER. Ron falls for Hermoine, but by the time he gets his act together, he gets latched onto by Lavender Brown and surprised, he gets into a relationship with her. This is the best bit of the film for me, as while Hermione displays no obvious emotions for Ron in the book, the film is better for it having them in there, leading to a very touching scene with her and Harry just over halfway into the film (as friends you dirty-minded bastards).

What's more, bar the little bits of magic scattered here or there, it's incredibly believable. And I think that's key. The characters are people you can now identify with, they have feelings, and what's more, you find yourself willing them along in relationships, wanting them to get together even though you know exactly when and how in advance. Most of the other films don't do the books justice. In this case, the book doesn't do the film justice. For me, this piece of film is verging on greatness. It never quite gets there, but it's oh so very close. 9/10

Edited by AJ, 16 October 2009 - 14:31.

For there can be no death without life.

#1100 General

Rude, but fair

• Member Test
  • 3869 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 20:05

View PostSquigPie, on 24 Sep 2009, 13:24, said:

Is Distict 9 really that good?

From the trailers and such, it seemed like a stupid (super high-tech aliens living in slums?) preachy (the Apartheid references are obvious) mess.

Did the trailers do it wrong?

It was one of the best movies I watched, its not yet released here on cinemas ( will be at 6 November, previously was 2 October, why the heck they change the dates always ! :P ) so I watched it on web ( you know these poor quality ones where they record with cam :P ) but it was still cool ! I will go again this movie with inviting everyone I know and will watch it on cinema, then I think it will be a better experience, and cool experience for those who not watch it before |8

I don't know which kind of movies you truly like Squigpie but its really worth it, its not like the cliche alien movies we've seen :duh:

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users