Light Speed?

36 replies to this topic

#1 SolidSpartan117

Semi-Pro

• 215 posts
  • Projects: Making Kick Ass Sigs!

Posted 06 February 2008 - 17:00

Here is a subject I love, earlier this month two German scienctists claimed they had broken Light Speed! What I dont get is why haven't they agreed to prove this claim? Lets look at it this way, if you were to travel the speed of light, time stops. Not only does time stop, but your body mass is envinity. Now if you were to travel faster than light speed, you would acctualy arrive at your destination before you left? Maybe I'm confused but can anyone shed some light on the situation?
Posted Image

#2 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 17:09

Firstly http://forum.cncrene...showtopic=18953

Secondly, Cherenkov postulated particles faster than the speed of light in certain media.

Light travles at c (3*10^8 ms^-1) in free space.

In air it's a bit slower, water slower still. however in water it's possible to give an electron enough energy to move faster than light in water. In this case Cherenkov radiation is emitted.

Another way is the expansion of space in the early universe, while something can't travel faster than light in free space, if the space itself is expanding, nothing in physics can stop it.

Proving the claim would be something to watch, since it would indeed cause a black hole...

#3 SolidSpartan117

Semi-Pro

• 215 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 17:15

Where do you get your info? Light speed is Light Speed, the only things that can trabel this speed are Transmissions or Light itslef?
Posted Image

#4 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 17:21

4 years of studying physics with theoritical physics in the University of Manchester.

#5 SolidSpartan117

Semi-Pro

• 215 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 21:28

Ok then, that put me in my place (Bows down to genius), but all I am trying to say is light is light and doesn't slow down ever.

The speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s

speed of light in a vacuum is an important physical constant denoted by the letter c for constant or for the Latin celeritas ("swiftness"). It is the speed of all electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, in a vacuum. More generally, it is the speed of anything having zero rest mass.

In metric units, the speed of light in vacuum is exactly 299,792,458 metres per second (1,079,252,848.8 km/h). The fundamental SI unit of length, the metre, has been defined since October 21, 1983, as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second; any increase in the measurement precision of the speed of light would refine the definition of the metre, but not alter the numerical value of c. The approximate value of 3×108 m/s is commonly used in rough estimates. In imperial units, the speed of light is about 670,616,629.2 miles per hour or 983,571,056 feet per second, which is about 186,282.397 miles per second, or roughly one foot per nanosecond.

The speed of light when it passes through a transparent or translucent material medium, like glass or air, is slower than its speed in a vacuum. The ratio of c to the observed phase velocity is called the refractive index of the medium. General relativity explains how a gravitational potential can affect the apparent speed of distant light in a vacuum, but locally light in a vacuum always passes an observer at a rate of c.
Posted Image

#6 Medve

I thought it's a box

• 567 posts
  • Projects: Cnc: Untitled

Posted 06 February 2008 - 21:57

The sudden expansion of the universe is called inflation in english too? I am very interested in science, and I have a friend who is to take your way Dauth(studying physics). We always have discussions about astrophysics it's his favourite. :P. Oh and if we don't "find" lots of dark material and confirm that the universe will expand as hell to the end, then we'll probably be expanding at the last seconds at light speed. (the expansion speed is getting higher and higher as it speeds up)

Medve
Posted Image

#7 Chyros

Forum Keymist

• Gold Member
  • 7580 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 22:21

View PostSolidSpartan117, on 6 Feb 2008, 22:28, said:

light is light and doesn't slow down ever.
Well physics isn't my best subject but doesn't light have characteristics of waves as well as particles? Because that would explain light being slower in water, light bumping into water molecules, transferring a tiny bit fo kinetic energy and thus slowing it down. I'm guessing all this but I find it sounding logical when I tell it to myself :P .
TN

The brave hide behind technology. The stupid hide from it. The clever have technology, and hide it.
—The Book of Cataclysm

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 23:37

Hmm logic + relativity, not the best combination.

I think it may be something to do with the interactions but I'm not sure which characteristics cause the light to slow.

@SolidSparta117, all the information there is correct, but I assumed that sort of knowledge when I posted my response.

@Medve, sudden expansion very early on is called inflation (and is the reason why the cosmic microwave background radiation is the same in all directions - well close enough).

Yes dark matter is thought to be driving the expansion of the universe - don't worry not in our lifetimes, but i'll have more detail after my course on the early universe.

For those interested, light obeys the wave equation, use wiki it's correct as of this post, and in free space this can be derrived from Maxwell's equation very easily.

#9 SolidSpartan117

Semi-Pro

• 215 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 23:53

Yeah, Light is waves, like gamma rays and so on, but the Germans believe they have bronke the light barrier??? LMAO
Posted Image

#10 Teron

Absinth drinker

• 938 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:47

Im no physicist, but if you are refering to this, then I think that microwave photons, which, afaik, do not possess any mass, can in fact travel as fast as light. Just like neutrinos(?) can.

Edited by Teron, 07 February 2008 - 01:48.

"It's not the cards you have, it's how you play them!" - Gambit (X-Men)

#11 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:37

Photons are massless (so are all particles according to the standard model. but don't get me started).

It's known as the EPR paradox and i'll explain it when I have more time, that being said reflections can travel faster than the speed of light, however information cannot, I doubt very much they'll get anything through it.

#12 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 13:01

Am I the only person relativity actually makes sense to? I really don't see anything strange or unexpected with it...
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#13 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 14:12

Special theory make sense, the crazy stuff appears in the maths of general theory. So much so I feel I failed the exam on it.

#14 General Kirkov

The very model of a modern major general...

• 1749 posts
  • Projects: MOF book!

Posted 07 February 2008 - 15:08

What about Star Trek? They go the speed light +

Disreguard that comment

From a Historical perspective someone as always claimed that something was imposible, until someone did it. Just wait out acheiving faster than light travel may still be acheived.
All Proud Canadians put this Mapple Leaf Ribbon in your Signature! Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Clicking on the picture will bring you to the latest part of the stories.
The Terran Invasions: A New Threat Part 5 is now up!
MOF: Lost and Found Epilogue is now up!

Red Storm, TI-Prologue, TI-Chapter 1, MOF #1, MOF #2, MOF # 3, MOF # 4, MOF # 5, MOF # 6

#15 CodeCat

It's a trap!

• Gold Member
  • 6111 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 15:22

There's a difference between technical unfeasability and physical impossibility, though.
CodeCat

Posted Image
Posted Image

Go dtiomsaítear do chód gan earráidí, is go gcríochnaítear do chláir go réidh. -Old Irish proverb

#16 Babylon

I hate custom titles.

• 2245 posts
  • Projects: ShockWave Balance, ShockWave Tournament

Posted 07 February 2008 - 16:11

View PostGeneral Kirkov, on 7 Feb 2008, 16:08, said:

Just wait out acheiving faster than light travel may still be acheived.

This is why I think it will not happen:
Something that has mass will never go at the speed of light because it will take an infinite amount of energy.
Something that has no mass will never go faster then the speed of light, because you can't accelerate it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Reaper94

rawr!!

• 1178 posts
  • Projects: Being more loved and less loathed by community

Posted 07 February 2008 - 16:25

from what ive heard if one was to go with the speed of light youd flatten yourself (or catch fire) im not a scientist or nutting this is just wat a mate told me but basics that i understand state that the momentum youd gather is enough to flatten yourself. Also someone (credible) told me that the light we say has taken 8 mins to reach us.

Back to (un-credible?) info, i do belive hearing yo would reach the destination before you left it and youd catch fire from over-heating due to the strain on your body.

For example take a Suzuki Hayabusa (also known as the GSX1300R)

The hayabusa (bugly as biukers know it) it one of the fastest road legal bikes out. The point of this? At stock a new one will do 200 mph. if one added nitrous or a turbo/supercharger to it, it would hit around abouts 220 mph, in human terms that 98.3488 meters per second thats a kilometer in just over 10 seconds; imagaine the standards of the bbike to withstand that

do u REALY think a human cld withstand more than that?

RaiDK, on 3 Jun 2009, 10:09, said:

MY BEAK IS ONE WHICH WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS.

Posted Image

#18 Sgt. Rho

Kerbal Rocket Scientist

• Project Leader
  • 6870 posts
  • Projects: Scaring Jebediah.

Posted 07 February 2008 - 16:58

as you aproach light speed, your mass increases. so at such a speed as light speed, you would be squished by your mass.......

#19 SolidSpartan117

Semi-Pro

• 215 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 17:28

As you approach light speed you mass increases to almost infinity, and when you hit light speed your mass is infinite, but people are claiming that if we were able to create Cold Fusion (Which is basicaly endless energy) we would have enough to push that mass, but in space there is no gravity therfore no mass, so infinite energy isn't needed unless you are traveling around planets or somthing. Also dont forget that when traveling at light speed a single piece of dust could crush a giant ship. Now as for theese particles traveling at light speed, that is something I find immposible, even through a particle accelarator scientists have still not reached light speed.
Posted Image

#20 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 18:06

NOO Cold fusion is not endless energy.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Energy is equilivent to mass, so an intense amount of energy also has a gravitational field, infited energy = infite mass = end of the universe.

#21 SolidSpartan117

Semi-Pro

• 215 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 18:12

YES, I do know that fact, and I also know that cold fusion creates infinite energy, and why if they succed we will all die
Posted Image

#22 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 18:23

Infite energy does not exist, it's a flawed concept that really should be kept out of scientific discussion.

Fusion released dramiatcially more energy per nucleus.

Fission you get about 200eV / nucleus
Fusion you get about 2.2 Mev / nucleus.

#23 SolidSpartan117

Semi-Pro

• 215 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 18:30

Well, we could argue about this all day, I believe fusion is possible, you dont. Lets leave it there
Posted Image

#24 Dauth

<Custom title available>

• Gold Member
  • 11193 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 18:36

No I know fusion is possible, its how nuclear weapons work.

But Infinite energy is stupid, lots of energy makes sense, fusion is better than fission but a time away, however the energy fusion relaeses still won't get you to light speed, just closer.

#25 SolidSpartan117

Semi-Pro

• 215 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 18:56

I dont see how they are going to control such a massive energy release
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users